The Student Room Group

Drop Chemistry or carry on?

For my A levels I have chosen
chem
bio
geog
sociology

I want to study optometry at university, which i need two science subjects for. This year I am predicting myself to get U for chemistry, but I believe that I can do better! And without it, I cant study optometry :frown: I am willing to put in the hard work, but I'm not sure if its worth the risk. If i don't take on chemistry for A2 its straight to law school for me! Law is fine but i'm not even half as interested in that as I am for optometry! Plus, certain universities i've heard don't take resits for AS modules! :frown: I badly want to go to City University, they want AAA, If i get a grade B or C for chemistry after all that effort taken in retaking they wont accept me! Which universities would take a grade B for a retake in chemistry? I was thinking Plymouth, but i'm really confused right now!!! If the stress of handling AS and A2 chemistry is too much then I don't know how i'd cope! ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE! What is the best thing to do?
Reply 1
Original post by arqi786
For my A levels I have chosen
chem
bio
geog
sociology

I want to study optometry at university, which i need two science subjects for. This year I am predicting myself to get U for chemistry, but I believe that I can do better! And without it, I cant study optometry :frown: I am willing to put in the hard work, but I'm not sure if its worth the risk. If i don't take on chemistry for A2 its straight to law school for me! Law is fine but i'm not even half as interested in that as I am for optometry! Plus, certain universities i've heard don't take resits for AS modules! :frown: I badly want to go to City University, they want AAA, If i get a grade B or C for chemistry after all that effort taken in retaking they wont accept me! Which universities would take a grade B for a retake in chemistry? I was thinking Plymouth, but i'm really confused right now!!! If the stress of handling AS and A2 chemistry is too much then I don't know how i'd cope! ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE! What is the best thing to do?

You need Chem, You need Bio.
You don't need Sociology - No need for a fourth A - level just stick to 3.
If you get a B in Chemistry don't worry I see optometry in clearing quite often from Universities.
Reply 2
Original post by AJFShaz
You need Chem, You need Bio.
You don't need Sociology - No need for a fourth A - level just stick to 3.
If you get a B in Chemistry don't worry I see optometry in clearing quite often from Universities.

Thanks!! This gives me some hope!!

If I end up failing chem this year, should I still carry on with it for A2 and aim for an A/B, and then hopefully get in through clearing, well, thats the plan for now?
Reply 3
That depends if the college allow you to carry on with chemistry. If chemistry is required for the subject you are applying to for university. Then I strongly recommend keeping it on. However over the summer holidays I recommend doing AS revision and A2 revision. Try and complete all your A2 revision before the start of the second term. Trust me everything would be easy as cake when it comes to lessons.

Re-sit AS is fine, it's A2 they would be concerned about in all honesty. However is there any reason why you aren't doing as well as you should if you don't mind me asking? Also ring up city university and ask them if they would accept you as a resit.
Reply 4
Noooo, not chemistry.

Chemistry is bae :blushing:
I know you said you expect to achieve a low grade in Chemistry, but it's highly looked upon and you should continue. The only thing that I will say is WORK HARD FOR IT! Anyone is capable of achieving a good grade if you work for it and thats what you need to do. Ask teachers for advice, ask confident students for help if you need it, but I seriously would say continue it.

Wish you the best and have more confidence within yourself!
Reply 6
Original post by Jamess8300
I know you said you expect to achieve a low grade in Chemistry, but it's highly looked upon and you should continue. The only thing that I will say is WORK HARD FOR IT! Anyone is capable of achieving a good grade if you work for it and thats what you need to do. Ask teachers for advice, ask confident students for help if you need it, but I seriously would say continue it.

Wish you the best and have more confidence within yourself!

Aww thank you!
The only problem is, that when I come to applying this year and I have a really bad Chemistry AS grade, my predicted grade may also be quite bad, and then i might get rejected :frown: Clearing is also unpredictable!! It really scares me...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by AJFShaz
That depends if the college allow you to carry on with chemistry. If chemistry is required for the subject you are applying to for university. Then I strongly recommend keeping it on. However over the summer holidays I recommend doing AS revision and A2 revision. Try and complete all your A2 revision before the start of the second term. Trust me everything would be easy as cake when it comes to lessons.

Re-sit AS is fine, it's A2 they would be concerned about in all honesty. However is there any reason why you aren't doing as well as you should if you don't mind me asking? Also ring up city university and ask them if they would accept you as a resit.

In all honesty, I don't find Chem too difficult, I was lazy all year round, not doing my homework, not revising for my mock, not asking teachers when stuck! I practically spent the year not doing any Chem and now im regretting it badly!
Posted from TSR Mobile
If all goes bad,just work harder in A2 and resit some as modules and you could apply posy a level. Trust me,getting an AAA is not that difficult, its just a case.of putting in the work.
Original post by arqi786
In all honesty, I don't find Chem too difficult, I was lazy all year round, not doing my homework, not revising for my mock, not asking teachers when stuck! I practically spent the year not doing any Chem and now im regretting it badly!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used to be like that earlier in year and get Us,but then I changed and started studying like five hours of chemistry a day,mostly on organics.
You don't need to study that much!, my chem teacher says eight hours a week will do.
Reply 10
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
If all goes bad,just work harder in A2 and resit some as modules and you could apply posy a level. Trust me,getting an AAA is not that difficult, its just a case.of putting in the work.

Thats the plan! :smile: ty
Original post by arqi786
Aww thank you!
The only problem is, that when I come to applying this year and I have a really bad Chemistry AS grade, my predicted grade may also be quite bad, and then i might get rejected :frown: Clearing is also unpredictable!! It really scares me...

Its a risk taking this yes because you may stumble (not trying to put you off, just speaking in reality), but as I said before, you can still achieve it. I've had many friends with poor grades at AS, they decided to resit there AS exams and guess what, they got A's in there full A levels. I would speak to the universities you plan on applying for and ask them could I still recieve a conditional if my predicted grades are XXX. The likely result is yes they will still offer you a conditional as long as your application is strong and you meet your grades. If you fall short then yes clearing is an option and I agree this is a scary prospect.

Other options is to apply for a foundation year at university (if they do it in the field you wish to apply for) and have that as an insurance choice. Should you not get the grades you want and feel like you have to go to uni straight away them remember, theres no rush. You can always apply for the year after and resit your exams again. I know uni's look on this so you will also have to ask them about this. For now, scrub the option of not achieving your target. Just have a backup plan for the events of you not achieving the required grades for your preference.

So from this reply, mainly take this from my advice. 1 - WORK HARD, aim for a high grade and work towards achieving that, even if you have to resit your AS exams 2 - Contact universities ASAP on whether they will offer you a conditional even with bad perdicted grades (if not then debate further whether you should continue chem) and 3 - Out of your 5 options, perhaps have 1 or 2 foundation year courses or year 0's if things do not plan out as you hoped. You could still go to a good uni by doing a foundation year and will not regret it once your on the official year 1 of your course.

Wish you the best!
Reply 12
Original post by Jamess8300
Its a risk taking this yes because you may stumble (not trying to put you off, just speaking in reality), but as I said before, you can still achieve it. I've had many friends with poor grades at AS, they decided to resit there AS exams and guess what, they got A's in there full A levels. I would speak to the universities you plan on applying for and ask them could I still recieve a conditional if my predicted grades are XXX. The likely result is yes they will still offer you a conditional as long as your application is strong and you meet your grades. If you fall short then yes clearing is an option and I agree this is a scary prospect.

Other options is to apply for a foundation year at university (if they do it in the field you wish to apply for) and have that as an insurance choice. Should you not get the grades you want and feel like you have to go to uni straight away them remember, theres no rush. You can always apply for the year after and resit your exams again. I know uni's look on this so you will also have to ask them about this. For now, scrub the option of not achieving your target. Just have a backup plan for the events of you not achieving the required grades for your preference.

So from this reply, mainly take this from my advice. 1 - WORK HARD, aim for a high grade and work towards achieving that, even if you have to resit your AS exams 2 - Contact universities ASAP on whether they will offer you a conditional even with bad perdicted grades (if not then debate further whether you should continue chem) and 3 - Out of your 5 options, perhaps have 1 or 2 foundation year courses or year 0's if things do not plan out as you hoped. You could still go to a good uni by doing a foundation year and will not regret it once your on the official year 1 of your course.

Wish you the best!

I am definitely going to take your advice, it has really helped! Thanks for your time x
Original post by arqi786
Thats the plan! :smile: ty

Posted from TSR Mobile
The best thing about applying post A level is that you avoid relying on predicted grades,which depending on the school,can be awful.I remember I got an A* in maths but yet my teacher gave me a D grade prediction.

Quick Reply

Latest