The Student Room Group

Just had a knock on the door from a charity...

These two guys just knocked on the door and I opened it foolishly without looking through a window to see who it was. I was expecting a package but it wasn't that. It was the BHF (British Heart Foundation) and oh my world wow this was so weird.

There were two guys. One guy literally spoke the whole time and the other guy just kept quiet. The main guy had such a thick accent that I literally did not get 95% of what he said. I was so flabbergasted at the same time that it wasn't a parcel and two strangers that I just kept on smiling like a statue, frozen with fear! And the guy just kept on talking and I had no idea how to reply. It was so scary.

Anyway, they wanted someone over the age of 25 for some reason. Did they want a blood donation? Yikes. I said no one will be home and omg he was so pushy. Anyway, I don't really know what happened. It all happened so quickly and stuff.

If anyone has seen that Catherine Tate sketch about the posh mother not understanding the thick accent of the mechanic, this is exactly what happened. I knew it was a comedic exaggeration of a stereotype, but I didn't think that anyone could be so incomprehensible. It happened to me! Ah! The other guy seemed less boisterous.

Well, I just had to share that and get it out. What do I do in future? I know I am legally allowed to slam the door in their faces, but is there any means of handling this kind of situation?

Help. XD
Original post by stableintegral
These two guys just knocked on the door and I opened it foolishly without looking through a window to see who it was. I was expecting a package but it wasn't that. It was the BHF (British Heart Foundation) and oh my world wow this was so weird.

There were two guys. One guy literally spoke the whole time and the other guy just kept quiet. The main guy had such a thick accent that I literally did not get 95% of what he said. I was so flabbergasted at the same time that it wasn't a parcel and two strangers that I just kept on smiling like a statue, frozen with fear! And the guy just kept on talking and I had no idea how to reply. It was so scary.

Anyway, they wanted someone over the age of 25 for some reason. Did they want a blood donation? Yikes. I said no one will be home and omg he was so pushy. Anyway, I don't really know what happened. It all happened so quickly and stuff.

If anyone has seen that Catherine Tate sketch about the posh mother not understanding the thick accent of the mechanic, this is exactly what happened. I knew it was a comedic exaggeration of a stereotype, but I didn't think that anyone could be so incomprehensible. It happened to me! Ah! The other guy seemed less boisterous.

Well, I just had to share that and get it out. What do I do in future? I know I am legally allowed to slam the door in their faces, but is there any means of handling this kind of situation?

Help. XD

Hire a butler to deal with waifs and other miscreants. :smile:
Reply 2
They're trained to be as persuasive as possible. Just say you're not interested, if they persist say it again. If they don't get the hint, just shut the door. No need to slam it.
Well, I don't think they'll be back. Perhaps my really awkward nature persuaded them to go elsewhere. Haha. I'll always check the window from now on... >_>

Quick Reply

Latest