The Student Room Group

please help, desperate

My daughter is a mature student with a three year old.
She was in a domestic violent relationship for over two years. He was still harassing her months after they finished.
The blood father of her child got in contact for the first time in two years so she let him see their child. This caused him problems with his girlfriend.
He decided to leave, being very cruel and heartless in his manner. Even returning for his jacket and to ask her for train fare. While there his phone rang and he told the person he wished my daughters child was dead, he was never having anything to do with them again and other vile things.
My daughter had picked up a knife and shredded his jacket, he was saying this as he bent down to pick up his bag and she hit him with both fists but was still holding the knife.
There is one stab wound which caused no internal damage.
He made a statement saying he was trying to leave which isn't true and whatever tests they do will prove this.
My daughter has been charged with wounding with intent.
This is just not who she is at all. She has no criminal record. She isn't violent.
She has been refused legal aid as she gets nursery fees from uni - but its needed for nursery!
Her solicitor has told her that she needs to prepare for prison. She has pled guilty to wounding but not guilty to intent. The judge asked for a plea bargain but the prosecution refused.
If she goes to prison she will lose time with her child, her flat etc and her uni place.
We can't raise the money for a private solicitor.
She can't go to prison! No-one gains from it at all.
Ay the way, she has since found out her child's father is a perpetrator of DV previously (I think to more than one woman) She hasn't been hit by him but surely this shows some mind set and her reaction was a result of that mind set?
Please help, we have no idea what to do or where to get help.
I'm not a home owner so can't remortgage my home or get a lone for that amount.
I don't know what else to add
Reply 1
hopefully they both end up in prison:smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for your help there, this is serious not for trolls
Reply 3
Just wondered if anyone could help with the above?
Not just opinions but genuine help with legal aid. I always believed everyone in this country was entitled to legal representation - is this no longer true?
A student forum is not exactly the best place for this. Have you not explored other 'more serious' forums?

Advice taken from here could be very misleading and incorrect as I cannot imagine there is a vast amount of lawyers here.

Just saying.
Reply 5
To be honest there seems to be very little help regarding legal aid - I was just hoping someone may have had some experience.
I have no idea where else to go. Google led me here.
Thank you though, you're probably right xx
this is not the right forum to be posting this on, most of us are students.
Original post by little Sally
To be honest there seems to be very little help regarding legal aid - I was just hoping someone may have had some experience.
I have no idea where else to go. Google led me here.
Thank you though, you're probably right xx

Go to Citizens Advice Bureau - they will help.
Look for a lawyer who does pro bono work (free of charge). The Citizens Advice Bureau may be helpful.
Reply 9
Ah!
Are there really such solicitors? That sounds amazing. Thank you so much, will try that xx
tbh I'm not sure where you could go but there's got to be free help somewhere, like others said citizen's advice bureau, scour the internet for suggestions. I wish you the best
Original post by lipslikemorphine
this is not the right forum to be posting this on, most of us are students.

My daughter is a student that's why I thought it might help. I wasn't asking for legal advice - I was asking advice about where to get legal advice.
Don't put yourself down. I've got to say its been an amazing help!
I was so wrapped up in the problem I didn't think about CAB and pro bono solicitors.
Many thanks guys xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending