The Student Room Group

HS2, Yes or No?

Poll

Do you support HS2?

The Queen's Speech today failed to mention HS2 which I take to mean that the Tories are going ahead with it.

What is the general concensus? I, personally, am against HS2 because it will be an environmental disaster and any economic benefit will mostly be concentrated in London and not the North as the politicians keep saying.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Living in Leeds i'm an IMBY on the issue.
Absolutely, one thing I do support is instead for it to be only ready half a century later is for the entire network to be up and running before the end of current Parliament.

Also need a few more HS lines, personally feel there should be one that connects Cardiff-Bristol-Bath-Oxford-London as well.
Original post by BasicMistake
The Queen's Speech today failed to mention HS2 which I take to mean that the Tories are going ahead with it.

What is the general concensus? I, personally, am against HS2 because it will be an environmental disaster and any economic benefit will mostly be concentrated in London and not the North as the politicians keep saying.

The railways in the SE are at capacity.
Reply 4
I don't think we should go ahead with HS2. As someone living just outside Coventry, HS2 will not only drive through our countryside but will also be of no use to the whole city.

Admittedly as time goes on and it spreads up north, it will become more worthwhile, but to Birmingham it makes very little difference to the time it takes to get to London. I also believe that it will just increase the number of people commuting to London for work from the Midlands, rather than seeing more people coming up here.
Original post by MatureStudent36
The railways in the SE are at capacity.

So can't we modernise and improve existing lines instead of having a new one tearing through the Chilterns?
Original post by BasicMistake
So can't we modernise and improve existing lines instead of having a new one tearing through the Chilterns?

You've got it
No. No amount of economic benefits can justify the environmental damage from the many ancient woodlands, SSSIs and nature reserves that HS2 will plough straight through and destroy. Ancient woodland in particular is already a rare habitat and the last thing we should be doing is destroying even more of it.

I'm also skeptical of the claim that it will help close the north-south divide.

Maybe if the route was different I might reconsider my objection.
(edited 8 years ago)
Millionaire's project for the millionaire's playground. Be nice to actually sort out the railways, especially in Northern growth regions and get them up to scratch. Fellow Manchester commuters will sympathise. 2 carriages at peak times with small riots breaking out is unacceptable. No surprise the companies are forcing workers into potential strike action.
Original post by Rakas21
Living in Leeds i'm an IMBY on the issue.

IMBY?
Nationalize rail ways and more carriages on northern train please. The difference between the trains goign to Manchester form london eusten and the ones going from Manchester to liverpool is massive.
Personally im for it in terms of the concept however the advantages of bridging the north-south divide are hugely overexagerated as it goes as far as Leeds. Its about another 100 miles north to where i live so its not doing a good job. Also the environmental effects seem slightly unneccesary.
Original post by TorpidPhil
IMBY?

In my back yard.

I can't think of much else to drive business to Leeds, especially combined with HS3.
EU Directives are ultimately responsible for HS2, the UK Government has no real choice in the matter. Not that they'll admit it http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/9015342/The-continent-is-the-final-destination-for-HS2.html
Original post by thesabbath
EU Directives are ultimately responsible for HS2, the UK Government has no real choice in the matter. Not that they'll admit it http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/9015342/The-continent-is-the-final-destination-for-HS2.html

Actually one of the better ideas from the EU. I believe they are planning a much more integrated European energy grid as well.
Original post by Rakas21
Actually one of the better ideas from the EU. I believe they are planning a much more integrated European energy grid as well.

Been saying this for years, but the standard response is 'why don't they just upgrade the Victorian infrastructure '
Reply 16
Original post by Joeyyy-
but to Birmingham it makes very little difference to the time it takes to get to London.

Doesn't it knock over half an hour off?

So takes over an hour off a commute.
Reply 17
Original post by thesabbath

Great itsn't it?

It'd take 2hr off Brussels to Manchester. Could leave Brussels at 6pm and be in Manchester for a little after 8pm.
Original post by Quady
Great itsn't it?

It'd take 2hr off Brussels to Manchester. Could leave Brussels at 6pm and be in Manchester for a little after 8pm.

Faster transport links always boost the economy.

However hs2 will also alleviate some rather significant capacity issues elsewhere on the network.
Reply 19
Original post by Quady
Doesn't it knock over half an hour off?

So takes over an hour off a commute.

Posted from TSR Mobile

About 15 minutes quicker than the Virgin trains.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending