The Student Room Group

HS2, Yes or No?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Joeyyy-
Posted from TSR Mobile

About 15 minutes quicker than the Virgin trains.

Currently standard journey 1hr 24min, fastest 1hr 12min

Will be standard journey time of 49min

So 35mins faster than current standard journey, or 23min faster than the current fastest.

No?
Original post by Quady
Great itsn't it?

It'd take 2hr off Brussels to Manchester. Could leave Brussels at 6pm and be in Manchester for a little after 8pm.

There wouldn't be a direct train through, you'd have to stop and change train in London for border control purposes unless the UK joins the Schengen area. Would it beat a plane on either time or cost? Eurostar is already much more expensive than cheap flights.
Reply 22
Original post by Quady
Currently standard journey 1hr 24min, fastest 1hr 12min

Will be standard journey time of 49min

So 35mins faster than current standard journey, or 23min faster than the current fastest.

No?

You are correct, I read an article wrong. But 23 minutes personally wouldn't make a difference, especially when ticket prices on HS2 will probably be more expensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The rail transport network in the UK is quite pathetic but HS2 is all about the south, and I don't live in the south, nor do I want to travel there. So no preference, apart from the unfortunate cost, which we'll all be paying for.

I support the 'HS3' idea far more; the railways in the north are a joke and are in far more need of fixing, but as it wouldn't benefit the south it's quite unlikely to happen any time soon (I fully understand the 'global city' reasoning why this is the case, of course).
The problem with trains isn't the ones to London - you can get from pretty much any big city to London fairly quickly, but getting between cities outside London. e.g York - London and Manchester - London take two hours each whereas getting between York and Manchester takes 1 hour 20 minutes.

If you want to make some journeys e.g Coventry to York it can be just as fast to go via London as take a much slower direct train, as all the fast lines radiate out of the capital.
Reply 25
Original post by Joeyyy-
You are correct, I read an article wrong. But 23 minutes personally wouldn't make a difference, especially when ticket prices on HS2 will probably be more expensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

23mins between the fastet train and a typical one.

45+ min saving on the return journey is a reasonable difference. But I agree, its more handy when it takes out 2hrs on a return to Manchester.
Reply 26
Original post by BasicMistake
The Queen's Speech today failed to mention HS2 which I take to mean that the Tories are going ahead with it.

What is the general concensus? I, personally, am against HS2 because it will be an environmental disaster and any economic benefit will mostly be concentrated in London and not the North as the politicians keep saying.

HSNo
No, it's been proven by Freedom of Information request. That this scheme will have negative economic affects for areas not served by the line. Plus the costing of this line is pretty dubious.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/18_10_13_newsnight_hs2.pdf

Scotland’s share of the cost of HS2 is a mere £4.2bn at the latest estimates (which are of course likely to be revised dramatically upwards over time), which is only enough to double the current government investment in ScotRail for around 14 years.

This isn't really relevant but I'm still angry with the Conservative collation as they didn't implement the revised Scotland bill with in the 100 days pledge. If they did we would of had the power to create a national rail franchise and prevent Abellio from getting the Scot Rail contract.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by SausageMan
No, it's been proven by Freedom of Information request. That this scheme will have negative economic affects for areas not served by the line. Plus the costing of this line is pretty dubious.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/18_10_13_newsnight_hs2.pdf

Scotland’s share of the cost of HS2 is a mere £4.2bn at the latest estimates (which are of course likely to be revised dramatically upwards over time), which is only enough to double the current government investment in ScotRail for around 14 years.

This isn't really relevant but I'm still angry with the Conservative collation as they didn't implement the revised Scotland bill with in the 100 days pledge. If they did we would of had the power to create a national rail franchise and prevent Abellio from getting the Scot Rail contract.

Whats wrong with Abellio? Half price ticket to Edinburgh tomorrow with their Summer Sale :biggrin:

HS2 will cut an hour from the Glasgow-London journey, so I could get a 18:30 train instead of having to fly. While off yet though.

Also it means Scotland gets a massive capital spending allocation from Westminister.
Original post by Quady
Whats wrong with Abellio? Half price ticket to Edinburgh tomorrow with their Summer Sale :biggrin:

HS2 will cut an hour from the Glasgow-London journey, so I could get a 18:30 train instead of having to fly. While off yet though.

Also it means Scotland gets a massive capital spending allocation from Westminister.

I find it ironic, that a foregin owned national company can run our rail service but the Scottish Government can't run the franchise due to a Westminster decision.

HS2 will not be extended to Scotland and I can't see HS2 to being feasible for my area since £320m worth of investment a year will be sucked out of the Aberdeen and Dundee alone. I'd happily sacrifice a longer journey to London, to keep more investment in my area.

That would depend when rail services are devolved. At the moment it's a reserved matter so we wouldn't see funding from the Barnett Formula.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Moosferatu
Millionaire's project for the millionaire's playground. Be nice to actually sort out the railways, especially in Northern growth regions and get them up to scratch. Fellow Manchester commuters will sympathise. 2 carriages at peak times with small riots breaking out is unacceptable. No surprise the companies are forcing workers into potential strike action.

Original post by RFowler
No. No amount of economic benefits can justify the environmental damage from the many ancient woodlands, SSSIs and nature reserves that HS2 will plough straight through and destroy. Ancient woodland in particular is already a rare habitat and the last thing we should be doing is destroying even more of it.

I'm also skeptical of the claim that it will help close the north-south divide.

Maybe if the route was different I might reconsider my objection.
The South East rail network is at full capacity, population from Manchester, Birmingham, London to Kent is rapidly increasing, expanding airports or motorways is strongly opposed. What is the alternative?
Original post by Reformed2010
The South East rail network is at full capacity, population from Manchester, Birmingham, London to Kent is rapidly increasing, expanding airports or motorways is strongly opposed. What is the alternative?

Personally i back airport expansion as well at both Gatwick and Heathrow.
I support it as a way of adding capacity to the network, though had it been my choice it would have taken a route more up the east coast. HS3 definitely as well, and also any plan to add carriages to the local networks in the north. An uncle lives in Manchester and when visiting I see how poor and outdated the local trains are there.

Fewer or no flights between London and Leeds/Bradford, Manchester and other northern airports should follow its introduction.
Original post by jameswhughes
There wouldn't be a direct train through, you'd have to stop and change train in London for border control purposes unless the UK joins the Schengen area. Would it beat a plane on either time or cost? Eurostar is already much more expensive than cheap flights.

But with the train I can show up as little as time as my feet will take to bring me from station to carriage.

Same can't be said about a domestic flight.

If something like that is definitely necessary, I'd at the very least like the route changed to reduce the environmental impact.

One possibility is to slow the train down, which I believe has been raised before (can't remember by who though). That way the line doesn't have to be as straight, and it could be curved to go around some sites rather than straight through them.

I'd rather it didn't go ahead at all, but that would be an OK compromise if it reduced the number of sites that get damaged or destroyed.
Reply 35
Original post by RFowler
If something like that is definitely necessary, I'd at the very least like the route changed to reduce the environmental impact.

One possibility is to slow the train down, which I believe has been raised before (can't remember by who though). That way the line doesn't have to be as straight, and it could be curved to go around some sites rather than straight through them.

I'd rather it didn't go ahead at all, but that would be an OK compromise if it reduced the number of sites that get damaged or destroyed.

How are the Newbury by-pass newts doing?
Reply 36

Um...

The 100 days pledge was a Labour policy. It said it would introduce a "home rule bill" within 100 days of being elected.

The new Scotland Bill was introduced by the Conservative government on Thursday, 21 days after the general election.

There has never been any pledge to have the Bill passed in this timeframe. Indeed, the Government doesn't actually control that. It can only introduce. It will be several months before the Scotland Bill is actually passed, during which time there will be amendments, a committee report and evidence sessions, a consultation and all the usual requirements of legislative scrutiny. Some of the powers are unlikely to be implemented for at least a couple of years.

I don't think the Scottish Government was ever minded to nationalise the ScotRail franchise anyway. Labour encouraged them to delay the franchising decision so that the law could be changed. They didn't.

HS2 will not be extended to Scotland

Well, it probably will, just not in the immediate future. It's worth noting the SNP have pledged to build a high-speed rail line between Glasgow and Edinburgh, even suggesting they'd upgrade the line to England.

Politics, business cases and capital investment rules aside, I think it's fairly reasonable to assume that high speed rail is certainly going to cover Britain at some point in the future. The ultimate 'business case' for change will be the threat not of individual lines being uneconomic, but the overall effect on our economy of having an infrastructure network that lags behind other major developed economies.
Original post by RFowler

Sorry for my ignorance and I have tried to read up on the controversy surrounding HS2. But are they not building tunnels to try mitigate the worst impact on the surrounding? is it simply the case that it is not tunnelling long enough or in some areas at all? I truly believe we should do whatever is reasonably possible to protect the environment, but ask any one who regularly commutes between Birmingham and London it's a nightmare and not fit for a exploding population.

Executives at Network Rail warn they will struggle to squeeze much more peak capacity out of the existing network. Even modest annual growth forecasts of just over 1 per cent point to some trains becoming increasingly overcrowded.

Worse, the UK’s road network, which carries more than 90 per cent of all traffic, is under strain. Government figures predict a rise of 10m in the UK population by 2033, resulting in a 46 per cent jump in traffic and a 54 per cent increase in delays.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry for my ignorance and I have tried to read up on the controversy surrounding HS2. But are they not building tunnels to try mitigate the worst impact on the surrounding? is it simply the case that it is not tunnelling long enough or in some areas at all? I truly believe we should do whatever is reasonably possible to protect the environment, but ask any one who regularly commutes between Birmingham and London it's a nightmare and not fit for a exploding population.

I understand some areas will be tunnelled, but as it stands that won't stop the majority of the damage. A lot of valuable sites will still be damaged or destroyed. This is a good summary of roughly how many sites would be damaged or destroyed along the length of the line.

There are plans to tunnel under the chilterns, which is an AONB. But as far as I know there are no plans to tunnel other areas.

I know they won't be able to tunnel everywhere and it's unreasonable to expect that. But more tunnels could protect some more areas and not just the chilterns.
Reply 39
Original post by Markt1998
Personally im for it in terms of the concept however the advantages of bridging the north-south divide are hugely overexagerated as it goes as far as Leeds.

...and yet shaves more than half an hour off journey times between Newcastle and London.

I keep seeing this sort of argument, as if the end of HS2 is the end of the line and trains just stop there. It's bizarre. HS2 has a positive effect for the entire national rail network.

It doesn't "only go as far" as anywhere - the lines continue, and a section of them is substantially upgraded. This is just as true as with electrification. Some routes are only partially electrified, but that doesn't undo the benefits of electrification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending