The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Level French 6FR04 15 June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liz0123
The discursive options were:
- whether it is worth going to university even with the debts and not preparing you for the world of work
- something about if maintaining a healthy life can cost a lot
- if parents should monitor their childrens internet use
- and something on the environmental; something to do with some sort of energy

Hope that helps!

Urgh that's annoying, because we didn't study any of those four topics in class :/

Thanks anyway! Do you do french as well?
Reply 61
Original post by Nadin123k
Urgh that's annoying, because we didn't study any of those four topics in class :/

Thanks anyway! Do you do french as well?

Yeah I do :smile:
I was looking for a thread like this in the A-levels section.. turns out it was in the Foreign Languages section.

I actually feel rather confident about the Research-based essay.. and the novel I'm doing is Kiffe Kiffe Demain. and if all of your predictions are right that le milieu social could be the question.. then i'm just glad our French teacher picked this cause there is so much to say.

For those who are confused, Le milieu social is actually talking about the social issues/problems or the setting of the story.

So for example, in mine, it's set in la banlieue or la cité.. so poverty, racism, and misogyny play a big role.

I suggest you examine what are the social issues in the work you read then discuss that. Many have actually been dreading style.. but looking at the 2013 paper, it was the question..

so if our predictions are right: then we definitely could get something about le milieu social or evolution/development of a character (comment-évolue-t-il ?).. but there was a good and bad side of character question.. hm

but i have a friend who just did her Italian and they asked about the ending. The question was like "Discuss the ending of the work you read/watched. Is this an effective ending?"

is there a history in Edexcel though where they use the same question from a different language to another? :biggrin:

I'm actually more nervous about the discursive... I really hope something appears on health.. that's the topic i'm most prepared for. or if it's youth culture, there won't be a quote that you have to analyse.. i hate when the question involves a quote or idiom.. like i avoid them cause what if i interpretted it wrong, i'll end up being completely out of topic...

and for the translation, i wish they wont ask something so obscure. in the past paper last year, they actually asked about torrential rain.. how is one supposed to know that..
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by carloseanopry
I was looking for a thread like this in the A-levels section.. turns out it was in the Foreign Languages section.

I actually feel rather confident about the Research-based essay.. and the novel I'm doing is Kiffe Kiffe Demain. and if all of your predictions are right that le milieu social could be the question.. then i'm just glad our French teacher picked this cause there is so much to say.

For those who are confused, Le milieu social is actually talking about the social issues/problems or the setting of the story.

So for example, in mine, it's set in le banlieue or la cité.. so poverty, racism, and misogyny play a big role.

I suggest you examine what are the social issues in the work you read then discuss that. Many have actually been dreading style.. but looking at the 2013 paper, it was the question..

so if our predictions are right: then we definitely could get something about le milieu social or evolution/development of a character (comment-évolue-t-il ?).. but there was a good and bad side of character question.. hm

but i have a friend who just did her Italian and they asked about the ending. The question was like "Discuss the ending of the work you read/watched. Is this an effective ending?"

is there a history in Edexcel though where they use the same question from a different language to another? :biggrin:

I'm actually more nervous about the discursive... I really hope something appears on health.. that's the topic i'm most prepared for. or if it's youth culture, there won't be a quote that you have to analyse.. i hate when the question involves a quote or idiom.. like i avoid them cause what if i interpretted it wrong, i'll end up being completely out of topic...

and for the translation, i wish they wont ask something so obscure. in the past paper last year, they actually asked about torrential rain.. how is one supposed to know that..

Do you know anyone who does another language except for french? What was their history question? I think the history question is going to be on an important person seeing as most of the last few essays were on an event.
Original post by RGJ
Do you know anyone who does another language except for french? What was their history question? I think the history question is going to be on an important person seeing as most of the last few essays were on an event.

Sorry i don't know anyone who does history. i think in my whole college, everybody did a book/movie for their research-based essays cause apparently like my friends who do italian, spanish and german all had a book/film they studied in class.

Although, based on what you say, i think it's a plausible prediction. But wow, history, I think that's pretty challenging. Good luck! And i hope you get a question you are most prepared for or you really want to appear.
Reply 65
Sorry i don't know anyone who does history. i think in my whole college, everybody did a book/movie for their research-based essays cause apparently like my friends who do italian, spanish and german all had a book/film they studied in class.

Although, based on what you say, i think it's a plausible prediction. But wow, history, I think that's pretty challenging. Good luck! And i hope you get a question you are most prepared for or you really want to appear.

Thanks anyway! I hope an important person does come up. I had the choice of literature and history and i personally thought there was too much to learn for literature and i'm not great at learning quotes. Good luck to you too!

So for example, in mine, it's set in le banlieue or la cité.. so poverty, racism, and misogyny play a big role.

Hey, thanks for this. I kinda get social milieu now. Im doing ELM which focuses heavily on multicultural class in a ZEP and how they reject the label of being french. but i dont know how to structure this into a proper answer.
and milieu social was the 2010 question :angry:
Reply 68
Original post by RGJ

For Russian this year in history question they asked about an important person and his significance in terms of nowadays, or something along this lines, as far as I know.
Reply 69
Guys, do you have any particular tips for historical period essay? any general advice would be appreciated))
For Spanish Edexcel this year the History question was "What was one of the main worries from this period? And how did this affect the development of the country?"
Reply 71
Original post by Valemmy
Guys, do you have any particular tips for historical period essay? any general advice would be appreciated))

Hmm try to be really specific with answering the question. Maybe in your introduction specify the way you will be dealing with the question. Oh and with history it's easy to just ramble so remember the word limit I guess, and make it to the point.
Reply 72
Original post by Valemmy
For Russian this year in history question they asked about an important person and his significance in terms of nowadays, or something along this lines, as far as I know.

oh no. I'm doing the French Occupation.How would you relate Petain's signficance to nowadays? Or de Gaulle's?
Reply 73
Original post by Karoel
Hmm try to be really specific with answering the question. Maybe in your introduction specify the way you will be dealing with the question. Oh and with history it's easy to just ramble so remember the word limit I guess, and make it to the point.

Thank you!
Reply 74
Original post by RGJ
oh no. I'm doing the French Occupation.How would you relate Petain's signficance to nowadays? Or de Gaulle's?

I'm doing religious wars 1559-1598, which is even more complicated)
But I think with occupation it is easier, as you can point at patriotism and celebrations that they have now ( I'm not sure which in particular, but something along the lines of Victory day), places that are named after them and probably their images as war heroes, that politicians now praise. I'm sorry, but I don't have enough valuable knowledge of them, as haven't studied this period in detail. We don't normally study Second Front during WW2 in detail in Russia :C
Reply 75
Original post by Valemmy
I'm doing religious wars 1559-1598, which is even more complicated)
But I think with occupation it is easier, as you can point at patriotism and celebrations that they have now ( I'm not sure which in particular, but something along the lines of Victory day), places that are named after them and probably their images as war heroes, that politicians now praise. I'm sorry, but I don't have enough valuable knowledge of them, as haven't studied this period in detail. We don't normally study Second Front during WW2 in detail in Russia :C

I see, thanks for the help. I was thinking of doing Petain and how the armstice created a lot of anger amongst the french and even now, a lot of french aren't happy with it. also, the creation of the STO lead to lots of women working which is significant now because it allowed women to work. and the change of the motto to travail, famille, patrie which had a lasting effect on the french as that's what they believe now. Would this be okay?
Reply 76
Original post by RGJ

Petain is mostly seen as a coward and as a weak ruler. You could say that his "culte de la personnalité" backfired on him and his reputation as "l’héros de Verdun" is mostly gone now. Even though as a result of this he is not significant nowadays, he serves as a reminder for the French to stay true to their ideals from the Revolution.
Reply 77
Original post by Karoel
Petain is mostly seen as a coward and as a weak ruler. You could say that his "culte de la personnalité" backfired on him and his reputation as "l’héros de Verdun" is mostly gone now. Even though as a result of this he is not significant nowadays, he serves as a reminder for the French to stay true to their ideals from the Revolution.

I think this should be a good link!
Reply 78
Original post by Karoel

Thank you!!
Could I also mention the armistice creating a lot of anger amongst the french and they feel betrayed. and the sto leading to lots of women working and it is significant now as a lot more women work nowadays. and the change of the motto? Could i mention all of this?
Original post by ayannour4
Hey, thanks for this. I kinda get social milieu now. Im doing ELM which focuses heavily on multicultural class in a ZEP and how they reject the label of being french. but i dont know how to structure this into a proper answer.

perhaps you can talk about la mixité and like how identity plays a big role in the setting? i havent seen or watched it though but it seems really interesting looking at the reviews and after googling it. so i definitely have this in my French movies-to-watch this summer list :biggrin:

Original post by ayannour4
and milieu social was the 2010 question :angry:

Ugh... if Edexcel does feel like transferring questions from other languages.. maybe we might have to discuss about the ending or beginning of a novel? Has there been a question about the evolution of a character? Or relationships of characters? Maybe we might get a character question this year. But is 5 years enough to bring back le milieu social. :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending