The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Level French 6FR04 15 June 2015

Bonjour
I haven't seen a thread for this year's exam
Im doing the discursive essay and for the book/film thing I'm doing Entre Les Murs
What questions do you think will come up??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mizukage
Bonjour
I haven't seen a thread for this year's exam
Im doing the discursive essay and for the book/film thing I'm doing Entre Les Murs
What questions do you think will come up??

Bonjour Mizukage :smile:

Having looked at what's come up before and using German questions I've seen as well, I have a bit of an inkling that we're probably due a question on Character this year. Maybe "Comment on the development of a character in the work you have studied" or "Compare 2 characters in the work you have studied".

All in all, it's pretty tough to say and I'd like to hear other people's predictions.
Reply 2
Hello!

I'm doing this French exam as well and was thinking about what would come up for the literature question, I was thinking maybe something to do with the context? Maybe how does the context influence the main characters?
Reply 3
Original post by liz0123
Hello!

I'm doing this French exam as well and was thinking about what would come up for the literature question, I was thinking maybe something to do with the context? Maybe how does the context influence the main characters?

Hey Liz :smile:

I'm definitely not entirely sure what'll come up either (:frown:), but, having said that, I think you're definitely right about characters. There hasn't been a single question referring to characters yet (besides the specimen paper, but the literature question's exactly the same for every language), so it seems like a decent bet to me.

If you don't mind me asking, what book/play are you studying and how have you been revising?

I'm doing Molière's L'avare - if you don't know it, a 17th century comedy. In class all year, my teacher's been telling me to nail the speaking first and think about Molière later, so until I had study leave, all we'd done in class was read the play and I was left to do the rest myself without much input at all from him. I hadn't even been told to write a practice essay!

Thankfully (this is after I took matters into my own hands and decided to write essays based on past papers) he seemed to think they were pretty good, but I'm still stressing out a lot.
Reply 4
Original post by Olardo
Hey Liz :smile:

I'm definitely not entirely sure what'll come up either (:frown:), but, having said that, I think you're definitely right about characters. There hasn't been a single question referring to characters yet (besides the specimen paper, but the literature question's exactly the same for every language), so it seems like a decent bet to me.

If you don't mind me asking, what book/play are you studying and how have you been revising?

I'm doing Molière's L'avare - if you don't know it, a 17th century comedy. In class all year, my teacher's been telling me to nail the speaking first and think about Molière later, so until I had study leave, all we'd done in class was read the play and I was left to do the rest myself without much input at all from him. I hadn't even been told to write a practice essay!

Thankfully (this is after I took matters into my own hands and decided to write essays based on past papers) he seemed to think they were pretty good, but I'm still stressing out a lot.

I think there was a past paper question on the characters on June 2012, something about a character who is a hero that has done neither all good nor all bad? Not sure though! I'm doing La Haine and at the moment I'm trying to learn as many quotes as possible to use! I think once I've done that I will do some practise essays probably!
Reply 5
Original post by liz0123
I think there was a past paper question on the characters on June 2012, something about a character who is a hero that has done neither all good nor all bad? Not sure though! I'm doing La Haine and at the moment I'm trying to learn as many quotes as possible to use! I think once I've done that I will do some practise essays probably!

Yeah you're right about that one, there was a question about being neither a fully good nor bad hero or something, but I'm still getting a feeling it could be something to do with character :s-smilie:. That's the problem with French and other languages: you can't predict any part of the exam and the specification doesn't really help much. I just pray that we get a really straightforward question.

As for the "research" element, have you included any sources or footnotes or anything? In my German exam I'm doing a question on Berlin instead of Lit so I've learnt loads of sources and facts, but that doesn't really seem to apply to a play/book.

Hate this exam because it just seems so subjective at times...
Reply 6
Original post by Olardo
Yeah you're right about that one, there was a question about being neither a fully good nor bad hero or something, but I'm still getting a feeling it could be something to do with character :s-smilie:. That's the problem with French and other languages: you can't predict any part of the exam and the specification doesn't really help much. I just pray that we get a really straightforward question.

As for the "research" element, have you included any sources or footnotes or anything? In my German exam I'm doing a question on Berlin instead of Lit so I've learnt loads of sources and facts, but that doesn't really seem to apply to a play/book.

Hate this exam because it just seems so subjective at times...

Yeah that's true actually, could be about anything! Well I do Spanish as well and my teacher has always said to me that we have to include a bibliography/references list at the end of our essay but for French my teacher hasn't really said anything about it! I think I'm just going to include a few sources at the bottom just incase!

Also how are you revising for the translation and the discursive? I'm not quite sure how!
Reply 7
Original post by liz0123
Yeah that's true actually, could be about anything! Well I do Spanish as well and my teacher has always said to me that we have to include a bibliography/references list at the end of our essay but for French my teacher hasn't really said anything about it! I think I'm just going to include a few sources at the bottom just incase!

Also how are you revising for the translation and the discursive? I'm not quite sure how!

I don't have many sources really though other than the book itself!

For the translation it's just practice practice practice for me :P. My teacher gave me a massive booklet of them since there aren't many past papers :/.

For the discursive essay it's more of the same. Just practicing and getting a clear structure in my head. Then I just hope a half decent question comes up!
Bonjour everyone!!Ah yeah Im really nervous about this exam, I really want an A overall.I'm doing ELM as well, and I have been practising about Characters so im glad to hear other ppl suggest it. Also potentially, something about relationships..like an interesting relationship in the work and how it develops. They asked about a hero once and if they ask about an antagonist that would be very good. I'm just scared something about social milieu might come up or something like "comment on the stylistic techniques/style" because I really dunno what to even say abt that, i always end up reaching.. xDtranslation is gonna mess me up,i feel so unprepared..my teacher gave us a pack of practice ones but i havent had time to go over them yet :frown: at least with the discursive you've got a choice of questions to choose from.

anyway bonne chance :¬)
Reply 9
Original post by Olardo
I don't have many sources really though other than the book itself!

For the translation it's just practice practice practice for me :P. My teacher gave me a massive booklet of them since there aren't many past papers :/.

For the discursive essay it's more of the same. Just practicing and getting a clear structure in my head. Then I just hope a half decent question comes up!

I know that's the thing! Do you think anything on the ending of the book/film will come up? Hoping not but not sure :s-smilie: I'm thinking a relationship between two characters could come up or maybe something about the message/ context and how the characters help to show or are affected?
Reply 10
Original post by liz0123
I know that's the thing! Do you think anything on the ending of the book/film will come up? Hoping not but not sure :s-smilie: I'm thinking a relationship between two characters could come up or maybe something about the message/ context and how the characters help to show or are affected?

Could be something to do with social context and character, but it might just be a little bit too hard. Maybe it could be talking about the social context and whether or not it's relevant for today?
Reply 11
Original post by Olardo
Could be something to do with social context and character, but it might just be a little bit too hard. Maybe it could be talking about the social context and whether or not it's relevant for today?

Yeah that would be quite are actually! That's a good idea maybe something like that could be asked!
Reply 12
Original post by liz0123
Yeah that would be quite are actually! That's a good idea maybe something like that could be asked!

Just dreading it so much -.- whatever we predict won't come up haha it'll be something stupid about the life of the author knowing our luck :L
Reply 13
Original post by Olardo
Just dreading it so much -.- whatever we predict won't come up haha it'll be something stupid about the life of the author knowing our luck :L

Yep so true! Oh no if that happens I will literally have 0 clue with what to write!
Reply 14
french is annoying because you cant really guess the book/film question (guessing thats what everyone is doing)
and the discursive and translation you can only improve your writing and grammar, not the actual content cause you dont know what will come up... still like it tho.
im doing film La Haine.
whats everyone doing?
Reply 15
Original post by Guymd
french is annoying because you cant really guess the book/film question (guessing thats what everyone is doing)
and the discursive and translation you can only improve your writing and grammar, not the actual content cause you dont know what will come up... still like it tho.
im doing film La Haine.
whats everyone doing?

Exactly haha! Im doing la haine too!
Reply 16
Original post by Guymd
im doing film La Haine.
whats everyone doing?

Molière - L'Avare. It's a 'comedy' written in 1668. That pretty much sums it up haha.

How's La Haine?
Reply 17
Original post by Olardo
Molière - L'Avare. It's a 'comedy' written in 1668. That pretty much sums it up haha.

How's La Haine?

i'm guessing it's a book? hahaha sounds difficult. does it cover all the aspects? themes, characters and techniques

la haine is a very good film and really good case study. it pretty much has everything in so, it's it's not that much effort to rewatch:smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Guymd
i'm guessing it's a book? hahaha sounds difficult. does it cover all the aspects? themes, characters and techniques

la haine is a very good film and really good case study. it pretty much has everything in so, it's it's not that much effort to rewatch:smile:

Yeah it's a play :P Covers it all, but it isn't just a comedy, it has a serious undertone too and the language is ridiculously confusing. All old French.
Anyone doing Les Choristes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending