The Student Room Group

Scared of the risk that comes with changing uni course

Current third year science student at uni who's decided to drop out before sitting my final Honours year, but will finish with a BSc. In the process of reapplying for a more vocational course (Social Work) and have told my current uni I'm dropping out and my uni advisor is providing a reference for my new application, so it's all systems go. However, over the past few days, I've had slight doubts. Personally, I think its more to do with leaving my comfort zone (having been at the same uni with the same people, many of whom I'm great friends with on the same course for the past 3 years) that is causing the doubts as opposed to the decision to leave/change course. Yes, I worry about the risk of changing course and hating it (especially going from science to a HASS subject which I have no experience of) but I know deep down that I dislike my current course and for a long time have had no motivation to study for my exams and so know it would be silly to stay just because I like my coursemates.

I think its scarier because I've been in this position before. Before applying a few years ago to my current course, I'd thought about doing Medicine. I did work experience, voluntary work, attended open days and sat the UKCAT, but after doing badly in the UKCAT, I decided to apply for Chemistry (my current course) instead. I don't regret that though as I knew my heart lay more with chemistry as I'd wanted to do it for years. I loved chemistry in school and thought my passion would continue at uni but it really hasn't. I like one branch of chemistry, but there are no jobs really within that particular area. After a lot of thought and research that brought me to social work. Sometimes it seems like it was a rash decision but then again my voluntary work in a care home was relevant, as was helping pupils with additional support needs and ASD (in my final year of high school) both which I enjoyed a lot so I feel that helped sway me towards social work. It's quite sad though, because once at uni, I thought I'd made the right decision, couldn't imagine doing anything else and was all set with my career path but that all changed this year.

I think that it could be a risk that pays off but it's definitely a leap of faith! Taking a risk...worth it?

Does anyone have any experience of changing course and loving their new course?
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm not really sure what you're asking, but if you want to do this new course and you don't like your current one then yes of course it is worth the risk. But if you're really not sure, you could ask if you could defer your place on this Social World course and take some time out, maybe do some volunteering and see how it goes. You can also transfer your BSc to the Open University and top it up into a BSc (Hons) at a later stage if you want.
Original post by Snufkin
I'm not really sure what you're asking, but if you want to do this new course and you don't like your current one then yes of course it is worth the risk. But if you're really not sure, you could ask if you could defer your place on this Social World course and take some time out, maybe do some volunteering and see how it goes. You can also transfer your BSc to the Open University and top it up into a BSc (Hons) at a later stage if you want.

I'm not really sure what I was asking either... I suppose just seeing if anyone has been in a similar position and whether these slight "doubts" were normal. As I already took a gap year after school/before I started uni I would rather not take another year out, unless I don't get a place at the university I have applied for (for 2015 entry), as I feel it can sometimes be detrimental to my motivation to study with being "out the game" for a while. Thanks for your input though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest