The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
.x.jen.x.
I wish i lived a bit closer to the Bicester outlet! Last time i went i was with friends who very much dislike JW so they wouldn't give me chance to look at anything properly :hmmm: But i did notice far too many of the hoodies with "Jack Wills" plastered all over them which isn't the kind of thing i like. It would be good if they got some nice jeans or knitwear though. :yep:

Ha, one of the reasons I want to get in for grad work at Ox is because I think bicester is 30 mins away.

maybe i should put that in my PS :rolleyes:
Without sounding ridiclous. i'd like to defend Jack Wills.
Tbh, i love it. :smile:
Reply 182
Tbh I have no strong opinion on Jack Wills one way or the other (although the shop assistants in the Cambridge branch were a tad dismissive last time I was in there, the Chester staff have always been very helpful). It’s true they certainly target a certain demographic but the same can be said of lots of shops. I think some of it is a tad overpriced for what it is but I feel that way about a lot of Topshop and River Island clothes too. But it has some nice stuff and I wouldn’t feel silly about wearing something from there if I liked it.
Reply 183
I don't really see why it matters; I like some of the clothes and own quite a lot of them, but I like it because of the style. The whole 'rah' association kinda puts me off tbh, although if you're the kinda person who just judges people on what clothes they wear, I guess i'm not missing out on talking to you too much. Sorry but its gotta be true!
I love JW!!!
Reply 185
It's what people who like fox-hunting and the Daily Mail wear hehe
seriously i must be so out of touch cause i hadn't even heard of 'rah's' before i used tsr.
what are they? can anyone show me a picture?
and also, what is the big hate against jack wills? i don't wear it, but i've looked at the website and the clothes aren't that bad.
and finally, what do people mean when they say 'preppy' because what i thought the 'preppy' look was, and the clothes they sell on JW just don't go together.

cheerss!
Reply 187
I actually work in Jack Wills, and as an aristocratic public school dweller, am pissed off when stupid chavs buy it and wear it, they cannot pull off the preppy look, the funny thing is, everyone pretends to hate it, but frankly, people just want to be it.
Personally I don't like it simply because the preppy style is not me at all and could never really see myself in those sorts of clohtes.Plus my school and the city where I live is overun by JW clothes because a shop has recently opened here, so many people see to have had a sudden style overhaul where this is the only brand they where:s-smilie:
I think its fair enough if that's the sort of style you have always been into and you incorparate in with other brands but I just see so many 'abersoch wannabes' (as we call them) wearing it.
Reply 189
lad1
I actually work in Jack Wills, and as an aristocratic public school dweller, am pissed off when stupid chavs buy it and wear it, they cannot pull off the preppy look, the funny thing is, everyone pretends to hate it, but frankly, people just want to be it.

you dwell in a public school? Does your rich family not have a house?
Reply 190
I personally don't see where the problem lies. I like Jack Wills (although some of the clothing is a bit too...er...eccentric), some people do not like Jack Wills. At the end of the day its just a label.
Reply 191
Im probably the stereotypical public school rah, that all you people are harping on about how much you hate, and I actually work in a jack wills, to be frank that is the only time I ever wear it these days, when I am at work, Jack Wills was once a great brand (about 3 years ago) but now all these chavs have started wearing it trying to look rich, which I hate, these days if you want to pull off the preppy look you need to buy brands like; crew and of course good old R&L, with small amounts jack, perhaps a scarf or something, (not the massive print tees for god sake). But to be honest unless you go to a public school, or a decent uni, stay away from JW, because you will just look like a t*** in it.
Reply 192
minimo
you dwell in a public school? Does your rich family not have a house?

No im a boarder you clot!
Reply 193
lad1
No im a boarder you clot!

dwell, to me, suggests permanent rather than temporary residence :p:

FYI, I quite like the JW shirts. However, I'm not fond of arrogance. :smile:
Reply 194
tl;dr

but

every dick n tom wear's jack wills.
boring, unoriginal, has no fashion value what so ever.
lad1
Im probably the stereotypical public school rah, that all you people are harping on about how much you hate, and I actually work in a jack wills, to be frank that is the only time I ever wear it these days, when I am at work, Jack Wills was once a great brand (about 3 years ago) but now all these chavs have started wearing it trying to look rich, which I hate, these days if you want to pull off the preppy look you need to buy brands like; crew and of course good old R&L, with small amounts jack, perhaps a scarf or something, (not the massive print tees for god sake). But to be honest unless you go to a public school, or a decent uni, stay away from JW, because you will just look like a t*** in it.

This.

You are so true. It pisses me off when chavs try to be posh, you can always tell that they aren't. :p:

The point remains though, that JW just shows you have a total lack of style.
Reply 196
lad1

Trent College? Aristocratic? Hardly. Most of the people I know who go there only are there because they failed the Nottingham High Schools' entrance examinations. True.
Reply 197
granted the majority of people that go to trent are hardly the typical rah Jw type, and frankly the high schools for ******* who throw crap parties, but i am just trying to get the point across that us normal people are pissed off when chavs purchase and ruin what was once a great brand, that has sadly demised.
Reply 198
lad1
granted the majority of people that go to trent are hardly the typical rah Jw type, and frankly the high schools for ******* who throw crap parties, but i am just trying to get the point across that us normal people are pissed off when chavs purchase and ruin what was once a great brand, that has sadly demised.

What a put down!!!! lol

I do agree with what you say about the chavs wearing it though. I mean in town you do see loads of chavs wearing it and it makes me a bit annoyed but think that if they want to buy/ wear it them they shouldn't really be stopped. Free country et all. But it could become sort of a low budget Burberry- look how chavs ruined that.

But I think if you wear it in a non chavvy way then it's ok and people will know you're not chavvy. I mean you can tell a chav, you just can't tell him much!
Reply 199
QI Elf
What a put down!!!! lol

I do agree with what you say about the chavs wearing it though. I mean in town you do see loads of chavs wearing it and it makes me a bit annoyed but think that if they want to buy/ wear it them they shouldn't really be stopped. Free country et all. But it could become sort of a low budget Burberry- look how chavs ruined that.

But I think if you wear it in a non chavvy way then it's ok and people will know you're not chavvy. I mean you can tell a chav, you just can't tell him much!

i thought chavs tended to wear fake burberry and I don't really think burberry's been ruined by chavs at all really. I mean you don't see chavs in burberry trenches etc. Just stuff with that plaid print.

Latest