The Student Room Group

AQA History B Unit 1 - International Relations: Conflict and Peace in the 20C

Hey guys, who's taking this exam?

I do topic 3,4,5 (Hitler's Foreign Policy, Origins of the Cold War and Crises of the Cold War)

I have some predictions for the exams but firstly I'm going to pretty much try answering every question they could ask for the 4 and 10 mark questions

I'll post them as I go along, if anyone finds them useful. AQA have gotten sneaky and seem to sometimes ask about events before a different event, so it's important to know the timeline it goes in. They sometimes ask about two events which are 'minor' and sometimes ask about a theme of events which can be grouped

For Hitler's Foreign Policy the exam board may use a cartoon from a British perspective. If it is by David Low (which it might say) it might be useful mentioning his 'radical' role.
If it is a Soviet source, you can mention the censorship in the USSR
If it's an American source, you can mention Capitalism vs Communism
just talking about provenance & purpose could get you 5/6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Low_%28cartoonist%29

here are my notes on him:
David Low, a British Cartoonist started working for the Evening Standard in 1927. Low had left wing views, but the Evening Standard was quite right wing but Low agreed to work for them if they agreed to not interfere with his work. In 19387, Joseph Goebbels complained to the British that Low's cartoons were damaging Anglo-German relations. After the war, Low found his name on a list of people to be arrested after the planned invasion of Britain.
Hitler's Foreign Policy potential 4 markers:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Jitesh
Hey guys, who's taking this exam?

I do topic 3,4,5 (Hitler's Foreign Policy, Origins of the Cold War and Crises of the Cold War)

I have some predictions for the exams but firstly I'm going to pretty much try answering every question they could ask for the 4 and 10 mark questions

I'll post them as I go along, if anyone finds them useful. AQA have gotten sneaky and seem to sometimes ask about events before a different event, so it's important to know the timeline it goes in. They sometimes ask about two events which are 'minor' and sometimes ask about a theme of events which can be grouped

Hitler's Foreign Policy potential 4 markers:

Spoiler

Hi,

I'm on the same course as you. I've got loads of tips for the history, so if you want, just message me.
Reply 2
Original post by Cal1999
Hi,

I'm on the same course as you. I've got loads of tips for the history, so if you want, just message me.

What topics are you doing?
Reply 3
1,2 and 3. We can go over 3 if you want?
Reply 4
Original post by Cal1999
1,2 and 3. We can go over 3 if you want?

Ah, 3 is quite easy imo as you can link the events easily

Do you have any resources for topic 3 by chance? I have my class notes but my handwriting was so bad it's illegible haha

How do you revise? I have some good fact tests which our school made. They have uploaded them - I'll PM you a link
Reply 5
Thanks - PM me and we can talk there.
I'm doing topics 4,5 and 6. Any predictions on 5 and 6? I have no idea really, not been through many History past papers
Reply 7
Original post by slowdive
I'm doing topics 4,5 and 6. Any predictions on 5 and 6? I have no idea really, not been through many History past papers

I don't do topic 6, but I have a strong feeling Afghanistan will be up somewhere for topic 5 and something Détente related :smile:

Didn't know you could do three constitutive Cold War topics?
Original post by Jitesh
I don't do topic 6, but I have a strong feeling Afghanistan will be up somewhere for topic 5 and something Détente related :smile:

Didn't know you could do three constitutive Cold War topics?

I got told to revise Afghanistan in particular, so it looks like it may well come up! Yeah you can, and it makes sense to really, they all interlink smoothly
Reply 9
I got told to revise Afghanistan in particular, so it looks like it may well come up! Yeah you can, and it makes sense to really, they all interlink smoothly

Yeah I just checked and you are of course allowed :smile:
Unit 2 doesn't allow it though (can't study 3 USA topics or 3 German topics)
Original post by Jitesh
Yeah I just checked and you are of course allowed :smile:
Unit 2 doesn't allow it though (can't study 3 USA topics or 3 German topics)

What are you doing for unit 2? I'm doing Weimar Germany, Hitler's Germany and Race Relations. If you're doing any of those, I have some predictions that might be of use later to the time
Reply 11
What are you doing for unit 2? I'm doing Weimar Germany, Hitler's Germany and Race Relations. If you're doing any of those, I have some predictions that might be of use later to the time

I'm doing the Roaring 20s, Hitler's Germany and Race Relations, but also know a bit about the Weimar Republic (not that I will be answering them!)

Although it's not for now, I have a strong feeling the impact of the war on German civilians will pop up, and possibly for the 10 marker a question about opposition :smile:
I think it would be unlikely that the Jews will be a question (as it was one for the specimen) but it's still possible
Reply 12
I tend to find Topic 3 the worst compared to Topic 1 & 2, but that's probably because I haven't revised it as thoroughly as the others...😒
Original post by tmifan
I tend to find Topic 3 the worst compared to Topic 1 & 2, but that's probably because I haven't revised it as thoroughly as the others...😒

If you want to go over topic 1, 2 and 3 with me, just PM me 😊
Reply 14
Original post by Cal1999
If you want to go over topic 1, 2 and 3 with me, just PM me 😊

That would be great. But maybe Friday or summat... Not ready enough yet...
Original post by tmifan
That would be great. But maybe Friday or summat... Not ready enough yet...

Yeah, that's fine. As the student room is a bit slow for messaging, do you have any other form of communication?
Original post by Jitesh
I'm doing the Roaring 20s, Hitler's Germany and Race Relations, but also know a bit about the Weimar Republic (not that I will be answering them!)

Although it's not for now, I have a strong feeling the impact of the war on German civilians will pop up, and possibly for the 10 marker a question about opposition :smile:
I think it would be unlikely that the Jews will be a question (as it was one for the specimen) but it's still possible

Hey, Im doing the exact same thing and i agree i dont think unemployment or jews will pop up Good Luck
Reply 17
Original post by A*GLORYHUNTER
Hey, Im doing the exact same thing and i agree i dont think unemployment or jews will pop up Good Luck

it's still possible so revise them, but imo it would be more likely to come up next year lol
Reply 18
Possible 10 marker for Topic 4 (predictions!)

Which was the more important cause of the development of the Cold War after 1945:
- the Korean War, 1950-1953
- the Hungarian Rising, 1956?

topic 5:

Which event was a greater threat to world peace:
-the building of the Berlin Wall, 1961,
-the failure of SALT II?

there are loads of possibilities though, but Afghanistan was on the specimen as a 10 marker so I would think it would more likely be a 6/4 marker.

I'll look for topic 3 later tonight
Has anyone got prediction for Peacemaking 1918-19 and League of Nations?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending