The Student Room Group

What happens if you miss a exam

What happens if u a very ill and not able to attend an AS exam but u have already done one unit of that AS subject? Will ur predicted grade be given for the remaining unit?

Scroll to see replies

you basically get an ungraded which pulls your average right down
You will get your predicted grade instead.
Reply 3
Original post by Xxfelord
What happens if u a very ill and not able to attend an AS exam but u have already done one unit of that AS subject? Will ur predicted grade be given for the remaining unit?

(It's slightly more complicated than this but) If you have done 50% of the AS and here is evidence to prove you were incapable of taking an exam owing to illness, then your overall grade is based on the unit you have completed. (Predicted grades are not submitted to domestic exam boards so they are not used).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by queen_pink
you basically get an ungraded which pulls your average right down

No. You get your predicted grade for that unit.
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
(It's slightly more complicated than this but) If you have done 50% of the AS and here is evidence to prove you were incapable of taking an exam owing to illness, then your overall grade is based on the unit you have completed.

So for a example say u have done the unit 1 exam for that AS but not the unit 2 due to illness; will the grade given to you for your unit 2 be the same as the grade you got for my unit 1 exam
Reply 6
So for a example say u have done the unit 1 exam for that AS but not the unit 2 due to illness; will the grade given to you for your unit 2 be the same as the grade you got for my unit 1 exam

Not exactly, as they take into account relative performances on different units, but more or less. How they do it is explained here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/other-documents/estimating-the-mark-when-a-candidate-is-absent
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
Not exactly, as they take into account relative performances on different units, but more or less. How they do it is explained here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/other-documents/estimating-the-mark-when-a-candidate-is-absent
. Thank you very much
Reply 8
Original post by German123
No. You get your predicted grade for that unit.

It depends. Anyone coul fake that they were ill. I believe the only time they give you your predicted grade is when you have an accident or can prove your case to be truly unfortunate. For example, you get run over by a bus, or had some sort of terrible unfortunate thing happen to you.

Apart from that, they won't care.
Reply 9
You have ot prove you were so ill you couldn't take it at which point you'll end up with predicted grade.
Original post by Async
It depends. Anyone coul fake that they were ill. I believe the only time they give you your predicted grade is when you have an accident or can prove your case to be truly unfortunate. For example, you get run over by a bus, or had some sort of terrible unfortunate thing happen to you.

Apart from that, they won't care.

If you provide evidence such as a doctors note then maybe you could get special consideration? :s-smilie:

Op, it ultimately depends on the situation, whether it is extreme or not.
If you can provide a medical note, and have also completed at least 50% of the modules, then you can get the AS award without doing that module.

Your score from the missing unit will NOT be based on predicted grades or mock exam results. This is a common myth perpetuated by some teachers. Your mark for the exam will be calculated based on how you performed in the exams you did complete, compared with national statistics on how people performed across all the exams for that subject. See here for full details.

Okay it's actually much more complicated then what other users have posted above.

No, they will not just simply award you your predicted grade. The most likely outcome is that they will just simply ask you to sit the exam next year while you're doing your A2s.

They will need convincing evidence for why you were unable to sit that exam. If you for arguments sake cannot sit that exam next year then they will consider your score in the other module you sat. If you did very well, and were predicted a high grade by your school, then they will be inclined to give you a conditional grade. By this what I mean is, if you do well in unit 3 and unit 4 for your A2, then they will assume your marks for unit 2 (the exam you missed) to give you your predicted grade based on the modules you have sat.

What you should expect as the most likely outcome is that they will ask you to just sit the exam next year. If your centre and teachers make a big dispute out of this, your grade overall will be dependent on your performance in units 1, 3 and 4.
I missed my AS psychology exam that was worth 70% and I had already done 30%. So I basically get a U on results day. Obviously retaking. My predicted grade was an A so if I had gotten my predicted grade that would have been great but I didnt. I did have a "Legit" excuse and the fact that I always did well in class was good so the teacher said she would send something to do with special consideration and the exam board. I was too busy crying to actually catch what she meant. Either way I'm retaking and I dont have a "proper" grade for psychology.
Original post by ilovereading
I missed my AS psychology exam that was worth 70% and I had already done 30%. So I basically get a U on results day. Obviously retaking. My predicted grade was an A so if I had gotten my predicted grade that would have been great but I didnt. I did have a "Legit" excuse and the fact that I always did well in class was good so the teacher said she would send something to do with special consideration and the exam board. I was too busy crying to actually catch what she meant. Either way I'm retaking and I dont have a "proper" grade for psychology.

I gave my As level psych but ended up missing my A level psych because I was hospitalised. What happens then? I’ve gotten a strict doctors note for bed rest so there was no way I could end stand up to give the ppr and my predicted grade was an A...
Original post by Ninja1999
I gave my As level psych but ended up missing my A level psych because I was hospitalised. What happens then? I’ve gotten a strict doctors note for bed rest so there was no way I could end stand up to give the ppr and my predicted grade was an A...

You sound as though you're an international student but in the Uk you need to have sat at least 1 A level exam to have a chance of claiming special consideration for the other missed exams.
Original post by Compost
You sound as though you're an international student but in the Uk you need to have sat at least 1 A level exam to have a chance of claiming special consideration for the other missed exams.

I am an international student. But psychology has 1 unit in Alevels. And I cannot afford to stay for the November intake. I need to know my options..
I am an international student. But psychology has 1 unit in Alevels. And I cannot afford to stay for the November intake. I need to know my options..

You need to ask the exam centre but I doubt you can get more than an AS level.
Original post by Compost
You need to ask the exam centre but I doubt you can get more than an AS level.

I emailed the British council of my country and they've notified that they only handle cases of private candidates. I applied via my school. but my school has no idea what to do..what do I tell them?
I emailed the British council of my country and they've notified that they only handle cases of private candidates. I applied via my school. but my school has no idea what to do..what do I tell them?

Your school needs to read the regulations about applying for Special Consideration for the relevant exam board - I only know the rules for the UK so I'm not able to give any further advice but all the rules and instructions are available online (for CIE I think they're on the secure CIE Direct site your school will have access to).

Quick Reply

Latest