The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

English Language at Lancaster? (and what to pair with it?)

Hello!

I am currently finishing my AS exams and I'm starting to think about universities. From what I have seen I would really love to go to Lancaster and my course of choice would be English Language, so I was wondering if any of you actually do that course and would be able to tell me how you find it? Or just anything about the university really.

I was also considering doing applying for English Language and Creative Writing, or English Language in the Media. If anyone could give me any advice on what they are like or what you suggest the best things to go with that are.

I am planning on going to the open day soon to get more information, but I'd like to be as informed as possible before going so that if I have any other questions I can bring them up then instead of wasting their time with questions that could be answered already!

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
I can't really give you much specific advice on the English department, but do you know about the major-minor system Lancaster has? While it doesn't work for all subjects, if you're taking English Language you'll be expected to take two subjects alongside that in your first year. So, if you apply for either one of those courses you can take English Language, Media AND creative writing, as long as the lectures don't clash. You drop back down to one or two in your second year, but you can change from your original choice if you like and the department agrees.

I'll be honest, I've heard mixed reviews of creative writing. Apparently it's pretty disorganised in first year, but you have small seminar groups where you review each other's work and it's all coursework based so you have one fewer exam at the end of the year! The other subjects I don't really know about, but I know Linguistics is really good so hopefully English Language should be too!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Kathiye
I can't really give you much specific advice on the English department, but do you know about the major-minor system Lancaster has? While it doesn't work for all subjects, if you're taking English Language you'll be expected to take two subjects alongside that in your first year. So, if you apply for either one of those courses you can take English Language, Media AND creative writing, as long as the lectures don't clash. You drop back down to one or two in your second year, but you can change from your original choice if you like and the department agrees.

I'll be honest, I've heard mixed reviews of creative writing. Apparently it's pretty disorganised in first year, but you have small seminar groups where you review each other's work and it's all coursework based so you have one fewer exam at the end of the year! The other subjects I don't really know about, but I know Linguistics is really good so hopefully English Language should be too!

(Sorry for the late reply to this, I got distracted by exam revision)

But thank you! I heard of the major-minor system, but I wasn't aware that those specific courses could be taken together considering their pages were different on the website.

I was wary about creative writing because I often feel like if some people have specific tastes and enjoy a certain style of writing it wouldn't work in my favor, and I have a specific voice I write in when I write creatively and I think it would be very discouraging to find out that wasn't what they wanted to see (like I understand that changing for different purposes is needed, but in the most general terms I have a go-to way of writing when it's not obvious) So I've been moving away from that honestly.

But again, thank you, this was really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending