The Student Room Group

C4 Dot Product

So (like in the question below) you would use the dot product when dealing with the "direction vectors"

but then you would use the cross product when with a line equation multiplied with another vector etc..

So what are the do's and don'ts when using the dot product

k.png
Reply 1
Original post by creativebuzz
So (like in the question below) you would use the dot product when dealing with the "direction vectors"

but then you would use the cross product when with a line equation multiplied with another vector etc..

So what are the do's and don'ts when using the dot product

k.png

C4 questions never require the cross-product - it's a further maths topic.

I don't really understand your question. You can dot product any two vectors and why you would depends on what you're trying to do. If a question is related to a perpendicular property then the dot product will probably be involved somewhere.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by notnek
C4 questions never require the cross-product - it's a further maths topic.

I don't really understand your question. You can dot product any two vectors and why you would depends on what you're trying to do. If a question is realated to a perpendicular property then the dot product will probably be involved somewhere.

Dot product is in the spec for C4 edexcel maths.

My question is that when dealing with the dot product would you only use the "direction" of the vector or?
Reply 3
Dot product is in the spec for C4 edexcel maths.

I know it is. But the "cross product", which you mentioned in your first post is not part of C4.

My question is that when dealing with the dot product would you only use the "direction" of the vector or?

You mean the direction vector of the line.

To show that two lines are perpendicular, you can show that their two direction vectors are perpendicular. Remember that a vector equation of a line is r=a+tb where a is the position vector of a point on the line.

Showing that the position vectors of points on two lines are perpendicular would not show that the lines are perpendicular.

So in summary, when you have vector equations of lines, the most common dot product operation that you will do will be with the direction vectors. But you may dot product something else.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by notnek
I know it is. But the "cross product", which you mentioned in your first post is not part of C4.

You mean the direction vector of the line.

To show that two lines are perpendicular, you can show that their two direction vectors are perpendicular. Remember that a vector equation of a line is r=a+tb where a is the position vector of a point on the line.

Showing that the position vectors of points on two lines are perpendicular would not show that the lines are perpendicular.

So in summary, when you have vector equations of lines, the most common dot product operation that you will do will be with the direction vectors. But you may dot product something else.

Oh yeh I already understand the whole perpendicular concept but my question was (sorry I should've made this clear):

A lies on L1
B lies on L2

You don't know what exact vector B is but you do know the equation of L2.

So you can therefore do the dot product with A . L2 = 0.

But my main question is in the situation we used the full like equation of L2, not just the direction vector of the line. Therefore, is the dot product suitable for full line equations and a direction vector of a line?
Reply 5
Oh yeh I already understand the whole perpendicular concept but my question was (sorry I should've made this clear):

A lies on L1
B lies on L2

But my main question is in the situation we used the full like equation of L2, not just the direction vector of the line. Therefore, is the dot product suitable for full line equations and a direction vector of a line?

You can dot product any two vectors. I'm really not sure what your question is.

A lies on L1
B lies on L2

I don't know what you're trying to do here. Are you trying to find the position vector of B? Using the dot product wouldn't help here, and you would need more information. Or are you trying to show that the lines are perpendicular? Something else?

I think I would understand you better if you could explain to me what you mean with the above example.
Reply 6
After reading these posts, I do not understand the objective. If it helps, the scalar product equals 0 when two vectors are perpendicular. In this question, I am uncertain what is being asked although, so find out if they are perpendicular, you must first solve to find s and t. Then apply the scalar product rule.
Original post by jakecre8
After reading these posts, I do not understand the objective. If it helps, the scalar product equals 0 when two vectors are perpendicular. In this question, I am uncertain what is being asked although, so find out if they are perpendicular, you must first solve to find s and t. Then apply the scalar product rule.

Sorry, my explanation was not clear whatsoever. Forget what I said above.

My question is this:

When using the dot product can you only use the direction vector of the line?

My question is this:

Yes.
Original post by QueenAryela
Yes.

But then how come, in question when you're dealing with the perpendicular etc, you can use the whole line equation as opposed to just the direction vector of the line?

Untitled.png

***my question is not about how to find the perpendicular, my question is simply about what you can and can't use when using the dot product***
Reply 10

My question is this:

No. You can dot product any two vectors.

E.g. a line is defined by r=a+tb

r represents the position vector of any point on that line. Since r is a vector, you can use it in a dot product.

I'll explain your example question later when I have time.

Quick Reply

Latest