The Student Room Group

Hi, I need help... I need your opinions for my coursework.

I am currently studying aviation industry at college; and the focus of my coursework is about the effect of noise pollution [from airport] on health. I would like your opinion about this current issue, you will greatly help me. Part of my coursework need to discuss with groups of people or in chatrooms about this current issue.

I would like to know your opinion about:
-what do you think the quality of life of the people living nearby airport would be?
-Do you think noise pollution has an impact on your health? (Is there a link between noise pollution from airport and health) If yes please [briefly] explain what is the significant health issues it can create.
-what do you think about London Heathrow Airport's plan to create a third runway? do you think the impact on health is going to be more severe for the affected people?

You don't have to answer all of it: 1 or 2 out of the 3 would still be appreciated.

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Richellesullano
I am currently studying aviation industry at college; and the focus of my coursework is about the effect of noise pollution [from airport] on health. I would like your opinion about this current issue, you will greatly help me. Part of my coursework need to discuss with groups of people or in chatrooms about this current issue.

-what do you think the quality of life of the people living nearby airport would be?
-Do you think noise pollution has an impact on your health? (Is there a link between noise pollution from airport and health) If yes please [briefly] explain what is the significant health issues it can create.
-what do you think about London Heathrow Airport's plan to create a third runway? do you think the impact on health is going to be more severe for the affected people?

You don't have to answer all of it: 1 or 2 out of the 3 would still be appreciated.

Thank you

1. The quality of life - lots of noise, traffic, planes taking off at night time, pollution, lowers the house price so difficult to sell ... personally though I wouldn't mind living next to an airport as I love tracking aeroplanes
2. Don't know any research into this area but I suppose it could damage your hearing
3. A third runway at Heathrow is better than Boris Johnson's idea of one in the Thames but I think one at Gatwick is a better solution but I don't normally go to Heathrow much so can't say about the benefits apart from it increasing the competition with rival airports

BTW What career are does it lead into by studying aviation industry?
Original post by iodo345
1. The quality of life - lots of noise, traffic, planes taking off at night time, pollution, lowers the house price so difficult to sell ... personally though I wouldn't mind living next to an airport as I love tracking aeroplanes
2. Don't know any research into this area but I suppose it could damage your hearing
3. A third runway at Heathrow is better than Boris Johnson's idea of one in the Thames but I think one at Gatwick is a better solution but I don't normally go to Heathrow much so can't say about the benefits apart from it increasing the competition with rival airports

BTW What career are does it lead into by studying aviation industry?

I believe aviation is general, it can apply to Pilot, air traffic control, work as aground staff or in the aircraft as a cabin crew.
(edited 8 years ago)
I wasn't aware noise pollution has an impact on health, but since the airport generally has a very busy and noisy environment I think that the people living nearby is probably deprived of a quiet and comfortable sleep. Lack of sleep can affect their day-to-day life so they would have a poor quality of life. As for the London Heathrow Airport expansion, I think that it's going to be good for the economy and it's also going to create more job opportunities for people aspiring to work in the aviation industry but this would mean the airport's noise pollution will increase and this will definitely have an impact on the health of people living nearby but I don't know what to extent.
(edited 8 years ago)
I used to live in Hillingdon for 2 and a half years, which is not that far from Heathrow. I get used to the noise real quick. The only time the noise has been a factor for me is when Im in a conversation, either on the phone or face to face outside my work/ home. The noise is too loud when your outside or have your windows open. I even have to stop talking and wait for the plane to pass. I think living near the airport is not too bad I guess you just get used to the noise. Having a third runway may not be a bad idea, it can bring many pportunities for me and for the other people.. Such as more jobs and it can help the economy too. Im pretty sure airlines/aviation industry is doing something to reduced noise factor.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I once stayed in a Holiday Inn near Heathrow because I have to travel early to airport since my house is quite far and there was a misconception with my flight details, so I basically arrived 2 days early. I didn't want to wait in the airport so I stayed in the hotel instead for a day, I wasn't able to sleep at all because airplanes were taking off almost every 5 minutes so for that one night stay I was able to understand why there's a lot of complaints about it and I also understand that if they were to put through the plan for the third runway, the noise level could increase and the people living nearby will will be at risk of having several health problems.
Reply 6
We'll I don't live near the airport but I don't think that noise pollution can make them obesse or affect their health. Although, it can affect their sleep pattern but in my own opinion I think it depends on their lifestyle wether they're active or not.
Personally, I wouldn't mind living near the airport because I'm actually aspiring to be a cabin crew, so it would be great if I could live near the airport so that it will be easier to get to work. And, if they were to act on the third runway plan, the number of planes taking off will increase, there will be more opportunity of me actually getting the job.
Reply 8
I don't disagree with the third runway as it can bring more job opportunities. On the other hand it can increase noise pollution not only from the aircaft but I guess during construction aswell if they start expanding heathrow runways which can have a huge impact to the people living nearby. It cannot only increase the noise but with air quality( dust) and water pollution due to construction activities. It will also affect the traffic because there will be workers/ equipment coming in and out of the airport not including the pax/staff. As far as I know some aircraft have improve their engines or whatever to reduced noise impact. And I agree with Laurissax that noise pollution can't affect your health such as making you obesse- it still depends with your lifestyle. I guess some people use it as an excuse not to exercise.. Noise pollution has nothing to do with what you eat aswell. Maybe noise of an aircaft can be too loud but I guess you just have to live with it. Aviation Industry bring
Original post by Richellesullano

Thank you

- I think that if you've bought a house near an airport, then you should expect planes to take off and land. Your quality of life is no worse than someone who's bought a house near a busy road.

- I believe noise can contribute toward overall stress levels, but unless you are living literally under the approach or departure lanes and close to the airport it's not going to be any worse than the road I mentioned before.

- I don't know what the third runway will do as I've not seen where or how they are planning to do it.

Quick Reply

Latest