The Student Room Group

Why are people scared of me? :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by User23
Omg I know I wish I was there with your school. I would totally be friends with u cos all my friends r taller than me :/

I wish you were there as well. You are a wonderful person!
Reply 21
Original post by MarshallPlan
I wish you were there as well. You are a wonderful person!

Aww thanks! You too xx
Original post by QueenAryela
Basketball, now!

I do play basketball and it is a fantastic sport! You're a spectacularly lovely and beautiful person!
Yes! :hugs: your profile picture is wonderful by the way! I love dogs and other animals!

I am going to really work on making myself look more approachable, I will work on my smile and read some books on how to look more friendly.

My height is not a pain and I feel very lucky. I just would like others to know that I can be there for them and if they are upset I will listen.

I do play basketball and really enjoy it! I know that sports can often seem unfairly exclusive to people, when they should actually be for everyone to enjoy and I really want to do what I can to reach out to the community and help people.

Thank you for your wonderful advice!

Awww, thank you, you wonderfully sweet man! :jumphug:
You could actually try combining the two - basketball and working with your local community. Have you ever tried volunteering before? You sound like you'd be perfect for it. Dog shelters, community centres, nightline, etc...
I do play basketball and it is a fantastic sport! You're a spectacularly lovely and beautiful person!

Good good, you could make it a career with your genetic gift :smile:

Beautiful, maybe. Not quite sure. Medias portrayal of female beauty is forever changing and I'm being left behind. I'm more along the lines of average.

Also, lovely? I don't quite know how you can tell o_o...
... but thanks :P
So, at my Sixth Form, everyone in my A level year is really nice to me. However, they seem to be a bit scared of me! I am very tall, however I am a gentle giant not a tough person! Anyway, me and the rest of my A level class recently went on a trip to the Alps and one of the girls got lost from our group and by pure and utter chance rather than skill, I managed to find her and bring her back to the group. Now everyone is very happy with me at the moment and her parents have been very kind. However, I am worried it will not last and people will go back to being scared of me. And I do not want that!

How do I make sure that by the time I reach university, that I am viewed as an approachable not an intimidating person?

7 FOOT 3?!

Jesus I'm 6 foot and I'm tall in my friendship groups!

Probably because people think if they wind you up you could just kick them from here to next week. If you want people to chill out, make jokes about it. It will make them feel more comfortable being around you if they know you dont take it too seriously. Generally thats the best way to put people at ease, make them laugh - it will make them see you as more of a person rather than a man mountain.

That being said, having people scared of you isn't the worst thing imaginable. Id rather have people **** scared of me than people think I'm a wimp they could walk all over. (You still could though. Literally. I wish I was taller D:smile:
Original post by godivaontherocks
Awww, thank you, you wonderfully sweet man! :jumphug:
You could actually try combining the two - basketball and working with your local community. Have you ever tried volunteering before? You sound like you'd be perfect for it. Dog shelters, community centres, nightline, etc...

Thank you for the lovely advice! I definitely would like to do more community work. I am going to go down to the local dog shelter on Saturday and I look out for community centres and nightlines too. My younger brother and sister are going to volunteer at animal centres too. We are all going to volunteer with different animals, me with dogs, my sister with cats and my brother will be helping with birds such as swans because he is eccentric and likes to think of himself as a 'young romantic' as he describes himself or a weird hipster as the rest of us describe him!

When I get to university, I would like to get full involved with volunteering, there was one thing I was looking into by which 'keep safe volunteers' I think they are called. Who go out into city centres and look out for anyone who looks to be upset or unhappy, like students on nights out etc. I could give them piggy back rides home!
I just realised, 7 foot 3?

Buddy, if everythings in proportion you won't have any problems making friends the ladies (or men depending on which way your sway) at uni.
Original post by QueenAryela
Good good, you could make it a career with your genetic gift :smile:

Beautiful, maybe. Not quite sure. Medias portrayal of female beauty is forever changing and I'm being left behind. I'm more along the lines of average.

Also, lovely? I don't quite know how you can tell o_o...
... but thanks :P

I would like to do more to help the community. For instance I see at my Sixth Form a lot of people who are worried about exams and are stressed, and I know when I get to university there will be a lot of people there as well who are upset. Even on TSR, I look at the forums and there are a lot of sad people and it is not right. So, I would like to do more to help people.
Just try and hang out with them. Let them know who you really are. Show them that you are a gentle giant. You can also try to shorten yourself, but I guess that wouldn't work with your basketball career (kidding).
Reply 30
Thank you for the lovely advice! I have been reading some books about how to have a more friendly appearance. And one thing I want to work on is my smile. As hopefully, if I work on that and improve it, then I can make myself more approachable.

7ft 3 is my height :smile:

All I see is fake emotion
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you for the lovely advice! I definitely would like to do more community work. I am going to go down to the local dog shelter on Saturday and I look out for community centres and nightlines too. My younger brother and sister are going to volunteer at animal centres too. We are all going to volunteer with different animals, me with dogs, my sister with cats and my brother will be helping with birds such as swans because he is eccentric and likes to think of himself as a 'young romantic' as he describes himself or a weird hipster as the rest of us describe him!

When I get to university, I would like to get full involved with volunteering, there was one thing I was looking into by which 'keep safe volunteers' I think they are called. Who go out into city centres and look out for anyone who looks to be upset or unhappy, like students on nights out etc. I could give them piggy back rides home!

You have a very positive mindset and it seems like you also have a very warm, positive personality. I like your plan. I work for SASD on and off - malamutes/huskies/sled dogs. It's very rewarding and great fun to work with them and help out, as I also have a malamute-northern inuit at home.

You can still work for nightline at uni and become a student volunteer to help out your fellow students in need. I started doing this last year and I'm glad I got into it.
My gosh you're wonderfully tall! I admit that when I'm around tall people I tend to feel intimidated, although I am a measly 5ft 2" so basically anyone and everyone is taller than me, but I find that I open up to people more when I know I can share a joke with them, or have a light-hearted chat? From what I've read you seem like a lovely guy, so after charming them with your wits I'm sure they'll see you in new light and eventually open up to you. Hope all goes well for you!
This thread should come with a Diabetes warning since this thread is way too sweet :smile:
Reply 34
Hmm well i am 6 foot 1 and the other day came across someone who was surely 7 foot + which got me scared so imagine what it's like for a lasse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending