The Student Room Group

Why are people scared of me? :(

So, at my Sixth Form, everyone in my A level year is really nice to me. However, they seem to be a bit scared of me! I am very tall, however I am a gentle giant not a tough person! Anyway, me and the rest of my A level class recently went on a trip to the Alps and one of the girls got lost from our group and by pure and utter chance rather than skill, I managed to find her and bring her back to the group. Now everyone is very happy with me at the moment and her parents have been very kind. However, I am worried it will not last and people will go back to being scared of me. And I do not want that!

How do I make sure that by the time I reach university, that I am viewed as an approachable not an intimidating person?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

probably because proportion dictates there really is something they should be afraid of

Spoiler

Original post by Alaric III
probably because proportion dictates there really is something they should be afraid of

Spoiler

I am not someone to be afraid of though. I want to help people and make them feel better, not make them feel intimidated or upset.

Spoiler

I just want people to know that I want to care for them, rather than make them feel scared or upset.
Would anybody like a hug?
Reply 5
Original post by MarshallPlan
Would anybody like a hug?

Adorable.
Original post by LSD
Adorable.

You're lovely! I just want people to know if they need help then they can always come to me. I often see people in my A level year who are upset, and when I go up to them they say 'sorry for being in your way' and leave the room intimidated by me.

When I want to ask them if they are all right and give them a piggyback or something like that to take their mind of their upset, or give them a hug or something. I don't want to make people scared or upset!

Spoiler

How are you feeling by the way? Are you ok?
When I want to ask them if they are all right and give them a piggyback or something like that to take their mind of their upset, or give them a hug or something. I don't want to make people scared or upset!

You seem like a really cool guy, bit confused why anyone would be intimidated by you...
I think that your height might just get people a bit anxious around you (but I don't think anyone is actually scared of you), once people get to know you, they'll soon be comfortable being around you.
Btw, just out of curiosity, how tall are you? :smile:
How are you feeling by the way? Are you ok?

yeah fine man, hope you're not too bad (aside from the bizarre stress that people are afraid of you)
Original post by drinktheoceans
You seem like a really cool guy, bit confused why anyone would be intimidated by you...
I think that your height might just get people a bit anxious around you (but I don't think anyone is actually scared of you), once people get to know you, they'll soon be comfortable being around you.
Btw, just out of curiosity, how tall are you? :smile:

Thank you for the lovely advice! I have been reading some books about how to have a more friendly appearance. And one thing I want to work on is my smile. As hopefully, if I work on that and improve it, then I can make myself more approachable.

7ft 3 is my height :smile:

Basketball, now!
Thank you for the lovely advice! I have been reading some books about how to have a more friendly appearance. And one thing I want to work on is my smile. As hopefully, if I work on that and improve it, then I can make myself more approachable.

You're quite tall haha but I don't see anything wrong with that
Just be yourself and others open up to you, there's no need to change. I'm not saying these books aren't helpful (I'm sure they are) but try talking to others as you would anyways. If everyone is cool with you now, just take it in, start talking to them, tell them they're not in your way and you're just trying to help them, I'm sure they'll understand and they'll talk to you more.
Reply 13
Hey there :smile: how was the Alps?
I think it's because you're named after the American plan to stop Communism from spreading after the effects it had in Czekoslovakia. This means most people in your school are secretly Communist and are aware of your political agenda to try and buy their support via "dollar imperialism".

Hi, can I have a virtual hug my BFG? You sound really sweet and approachable. It's a damn shame those people around you can't see past your height to notice that. And for the record, who doesn't love piggyback rides and bearhugs? I would probably giggle like a five-year old and jump at the chance if you offered. Your height sounds like it must be a pain for you but it's pretty awesome to me. Basketball players would be envious! And I'm pretty sure I'd be in constant awe of your height. I imagine there are many people out there who can appreciate you for who you are, including your height.
Original post by User23
Hey there :smile: how was the Alps?

Spectacularly beautiful! And I felt incredibly lucky to go!

7ft 3......... but I can relate to a degree :redface:
Reply 18
Spectacularly beautiful! And I felt incredibly lucky to go!

Omg I know I wish I was there with your school. I would totally be friends with u cos all my friends r taller than me :/
Original post by godivaontherocks
Hi, can I have a virtual hug my BFG? You sound really sweet and approachable. It's a damn shame those people around you can't see past your height to notice that. And for the record, who doesn't love piggyback rides and bearhugs? I would probably giggle like a five-year old and jump at the chance if you offered. Your height sounds like it must be a pain for you but it's pretty awesome to me. Basketball players would be envious! And I'm pretty sure I'd be in constant awe of your height. I imagine there are many people out there who can appreciate you for who you are, including your height.

Yes! :hugs: your profile picture is wonderful by the way! I love dogs and other animals!

I am going to really work on making myself look more approachable, I will work on my smile and read some books on how to look more friendly.

My height is not a pain and I feel very lucky. I just would like others to know that I can be there for them and if they are upset I will listen.

I do play basketball and really enjoy it! I know that sports can often seem unfairly exclusive to people, when they should actually be for everyone to enjoy and I really want to do what I can to reach out to the community and help people.

Thank you for your wonderful advice!

Quick Reply