The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by albany-geography
Hi, I have two calculators, an FX991ES Plus (which I know is allowed in my maths exam) and an FX9750GII, which is a graphic calculator - does anyone know for sure that I'm allowed to use the latter in an OCR A2 maths exam - I can't find any information accurate enough online!!

Yes. They're very useful for Core 4.
Any, they don't check.

(In my personal experience anyway)
Original post by QueenAryela
Any, they don't check.

thanks, yeah I've never had mine checked either
You can use the GII. The calculators you can't use will have symbolic algebra manipulation functions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Incubator
Yes. They're very useful for Core 4.

agreed! thanks :smile:
Any, they don't check.

Original post by H0PEL3SS
You can use the GII. The calculators you can't use will have symbolic algebra manipulation functions.

Dont listen to QueenAryela, listen to H0PEL3SS, anything with symbolic algebraic manipulation is banned, generally anything Casio is safe like the brand you are talking about, I own the fx-9860GII. If you bring a banned calculator and they spot it you will be banned from all further exams.
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Dont listen to QueenAryela, listen to H0PEL3SS, anything with symbolic algebraic manipulation is banned, generally anything Casio is safe like the brand you are talking about, I own the fx-9860GII. If you bring a banned calculator and they spot it you will be banned from all further exams.

I said in my personal experience.

Loads of people used calculators that were questionably giving them answers to questions... nothing happened.
I said in my personal experience.

Loads of people used calculators that were questionably giving them answers to questions... nothing happened.

Some calculators that are allowed can perform tasks required in C3 and C4 papers, this is fine, however symbolic algebraic manipulation calculators can perform the entire exam for you without you knowing anything.
Reply 9
Hang on calculator can do stuff like this.
Someone please link me a link on ebay or something cause my school wouldnt give a crap :biggrin:
Original post by RonnieRJ
Hang on calculator can do stuff like this.
Someone please link me a link on ebay or something cause my school wouldnt give a crap :biggrin:

It is not worth the risk, if you are spotted you will be disqualified from your exams, external examiners are trained to spot certain brands of calculator. You said you wanted to physics at oxford, you should approach your exams properly.
It is not worth the risk, if you are spotted you will be disqualified from your exams, external examiners are trained to spot certain brands of calculator. You said you wanted to physics at oxford, you should approach your exams properly.

Spoiler

You can't have one that can do algebraic integration (ie. indefinite integrals) but you can have one that can do numerical integration (definite integrals). They might not check, but they may well do. Some schools will have your class teachers invigilating and it really isn't worth getting a zero for the sake of an extra mark or two that it might help you. They also cannot do anything algebraic (solving equations. Graphical are fine.

In my experience, confused invigilators will often confiscate calculators that are not the standard Casio, which is frustrating, especially the bigger TI-84 type ones, even if they aren't graphical calculators. I would stick to one the two Casio ones (either than standard one or the 99ES integration one) and avoid risk. TI-89 and TI-92 are generally banned.
Original post by RonnieRJ

Spoiler

It was not obvious, even if I had the slightest doubt you werent kidding I would say it again, it is important and I hate it when people get punished so harshly for a little slip they did not quite realise the magnitude of.
It was not obvious, even if I had the slightest doubt you werent kidding I would say it again, it is important and I hate it when people get punished so harshly for a little slip they did not quite realise the magnitude of.

Honestly don't you worry. Out of all my subjects I really wouldn't need to cheat in maths :smile: plus all my core exams are done! Sorry if I confused you though
Reply 15
Original post by albany-geography
Hi, I have two calculators, an FX991ES Plus (which I know is allowed in my maths exam) and an FX9750GII, which is a graphic calculator - does anyone know for sure that I'm allowed to use the latter in an OCR A2 maths exam - I can't find any information accurate enough online!!

Hi :tongue: check out this thread to see if any of your 2 calculators are banned

Spoiler

thanks everyone :smile:
hello is ur fx-9860gii ok for exams
Reply 18
Original post by jamesessex

Yes

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1273511
The Banned Calculator List

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest