The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Study Abroad - where to start?

In 2017 I'm hoping to study abroad but I have no idea how it works.

Do I pay my own tuition?
What do I get from SFE? Tuition? Loan? Grant?

I really don't understand the process at all. Costs are the main thing I'm worried about.

Thanks
Hello,

The costs of a year abroad are hard to pin down specifically at this point, as it does depend where you study abroad. The cost of living varies greatly from country to country, and this will have quite an impact on your year. However, there are certain things that will be the same for all study abroaders. While on a year abroad, you will pay a tuition fee to Leeds, but not to the University that you study at. If you normally receive a student loan from SFE you will also receive this for your year abroad, even if it’s an additional year. Your Leeds tuition fee will be reduced for the year, and the year abroad tuition fee is currently £1350 (covered by your student loan as for any other year). You will also receive any maintenance loans and grants that you normally receive from Student Finance England during your year abroad (unless of course your financial circumstances change).

There is a section on our website (http://students.leeds.ac.uk/Study-abroad) that explores the costs and funding options, and you are welcome to email [email protected] if you have any further questions after reading through the website.

At Leeds we are slightly unusual in that we run our study abroad programme as an additional year for the majority of degree programmes: you’ll take it almost as a ‘sandwich year’ between level 2 and level 3. This makes the programme quite flexible, and allows you to add breadth and depth to your undergraduate degree, studying areas you may not be able to take at Leeds. You will graduate with the word ‘international’ on the end of your degree title to distinguish clearly what you have achieved.

I hope this has provided you with a better understanding of the study abroad process.

Kind regards,
Laura
(edited 8 years ago)
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
for a year in morrocco you will get your tuition fee paid by sfe and a grant of 3000 depending on household income and all that and then the niversity also gives you 2500 which also depends on household income and finally if your doing a year in european country you will have your erasmus grant x
Reply 3
Original post by thegeneration
In 2017 I'm hoping to study abroad but I have no idea how it works.

Do I pay my own tuition?
What do I get from SFE? Tuition? Loan? Grant?

I really don't understand the process at all. Costs are the main thing I'm worried about.

Thanks

Lay off the strong cheese mate. That's a pipe dream.

I mean that in a positive way. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest