The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2016 entry - is there anything you'd like to know?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Hey, I'm not sure if you will know this but it's worth a shot. I read that you judge people on academic achievement and relevant extra experience. I'm currently completing The Brilliant Club. All you need to know about it is that it's a gifted and talented programme where I'm learning about Physics in a form of supervisions (like Cambridge.)

I would like to apply for computer science, and a good grade in Physics is seen as desirable, however the physics I'm learning in this gifted and talented programme is the universe and planets, not electricity and power which is what is useful to Computer Science. As it doesn't focus on the part of physics I would use on the course. Is it worth completing? Wil it help my application at all by mentioning it? Because I don't really want to complete it, but if it can help my application, I will put in all my effort.
Hi! :biggrin: I have a couple more questions.....

A few years ago I completed the first year of the two year IB Diploma Programme but couldn't go on to complete my second year because my IB school closed down due to financial and legal reasons. This was in Poland, where at the time, there were very few IB schools and so when I tried to apply to a different one in a different town they were either really far away from where I lived (too far for me to move due to financial issues) or the places for entry into the second year were already booked and full by those in their first year so there weren't any places and if there were then there was already a long waiting list. During my first year I achieved all 7's in my 6 core IB Diploma related subjects and was also allowed to take extra subjects which were counted towards IB certificates and I got all 7's for those as well. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, due to extenuating circumstances, I believe that I under performed at my Scottish Highers exams and so I am wondering how/if Cambridge (specifically Trinity College) will take my IB results into consideration? Will it count for anything? I also finished high school in America (had all AP classes with academic awards and distinctions) but due to the fact that my parents and I moved a lot in order for them to be able to find work, I have had to retake my final year or two of high school (or equivalent, several times) depending on the rules of the country that I was in at the time which is why I haven't been able to go to university sooner. Will my American qualifications also count for anything? I feel that if the qualifications are equivalent to Scottish Highers then shouldn't they somewhat compensate for my underperformance at my Scottish Highers exams considering that that was due to extenuating circumstances and that my academic record shows that I have never had any problems in school and with obtaining good grades?

I'm not sure where or how I can fully inform Cambridge of my situation and convince them that the 2 B's that I got in my Highers don't at all reflect my competence in Maths and Chemistry considering that I have had an unusual education history and journey of getting to where I am today, where I was faced with challenges like facing homelessness in Canada and Florida and other financial issues along with having an abusive father which no doubt is the reason that I had EDNOS (really it was anorexia but my PCOS prevented me from losing weight) and depression (both which I have dealt with on my own and am mentally in a much better place now with zero urges of going back to the way that I was)? I know that it seems that if I was able to deal with certain challenges in the past then why was this year different but I think that it may be because I had never experienced the death of a loved one before and had never witnessed my mother have a total mental breakdown to the point where she needed around the clock care and supervision and I had never had my dad try to hurt me when in the past he mostly just attacked my mom and on top of everything else for the first time I had to also work 3 part-time jobs while studying and keeping my volunteering responsibilities intact.....I know that others have far worse circumstances and I honestly don't mean to sound like I'm diminishing their significance and would never ever try to, but I too want to go to Cambridge for Medicine and think that it's worth noting to them that I am not some spoiled 'silver spoon fed' kid that had a stable upbringing and that wants to go to Cambridge because her whole family went there and they're all doctors or whatever.....I am the first and one and only person in my family to be going to university, to even have the desire to get a higher education. No one made me choose this profession or this uni. I didn't have any help getting to where I am today with all of the academic achievements that I have earned and the invaluable work/volunteering experience that I have acquired. It was all me and I just think that if I can get through all of that and still want to become a doctor and pursue my dream and be there for others then Cambridge should be able to look past 2 little B's (which were flukes) and see that that kind of passion and determination are qualities that they should want in a prospective applicant and exactly what they need in a student that they could then shape into a real top notch medical professional. Don't you think? (BTW if anyone feels the need to share their own troubles and/or wants to rant about something/anything then feel free to message me :smile: )

Sorry for the life story/rant and I know that I write waaayyyy too much but I'm just concerned with how everything will play out...at this point I am just hoping for an invitation for an interview, let alone an offer and a place, but I just know that if I can get that far then I will really be able to show them my potential... :smile: Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by debbieroo7994

A few years ago I completed the first year of the two year IB Diploma Programme but couldn't go on to complete my second year because my IB school closed down due to financial and legal reasons. This was in Poland, where at the time, there were very few IB schools and so when I tried to apply to a different one in a different town they were either really far away from where I lived (too far for me to move due to financial issues) or the places for entry into the second year were already booked and full by those in their first year so there weren't any places and if there were then there was already a long waiting list. During my first year I achieved all 7's in my 6 core IB Diploma related subjects and was also allowed to take extra subjects which were counted towards IB certificates and I got all 7's for those as well. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, due to extenuating circumstances, I believe that I under performed at my Scottish Highers exams and so I am wondering how/if Cambridge (specifically Trinity College) will take my IB results into consideration? Will it count for anything? I also finished high school in America (had all AP classes with academic awards and distinctions) but due to the fact that my parents and I moved a lot in order for them to be able to find work, I have had to retake my final year or two of high school (or equivalent, several times) depending on the rules of the country that I was in at the time which is why I haven't been able to go to university sooner. Will my American qualifications also count for anything? I feel that if the qualifications are equivalent to Scottish Highers then shouldn't they somewhat compensate for my underperformance at my Scottish Highers exams considering that that was due to extenuating circumstances and that my academic record shows that I have never had any problems in school and with obtaining good grades?

I'm not sure where or how I can fully inform Cambridge of my situation and convince them that the 2 B's that I got in my Highers don't at all reflect my competence in Maths and Chemistry considering that I have had an unusual education history and journey of getting to where I am today, where I was faced with challenges like facing homelessness in Canada and Florida and other financial issues along with having an abusive father which no doubt is the reason that I had EDNOS (really it was anorexia but my PCOS prevented me from losing weight) and depression (both which I have dealt with on my own and am mentally in a much better place now with zero urges of going back to the way that I was)? I know that it seems that if I was able to deal with certain challenges in the past then why was this year different but I think that it may be because I had never experienced the death of a loved one before and had never witnessed my mother have a total mental breakdown to the point where she needed around the clock care and supervision and I had never had my dad try to hurt me when in the past he mostly just attacked my mom and on top of everything else for the first time I had to also work 3 part-time jobs while studying and keeping my volunteering responsibilities intact.....I know that others have far worse circumstances and I honestly don't mean to sound like I'm diminishing their significance and would never ever try to, but I too want to go to Cambridge for Medicine and think that it's worth noting to them that I am not some spoiled 'silver spoon fed' kid that had a stable upbringing and that wants to go to Cambridge because her whole family went there and they're all doctors or whatever.....I am the first and one and only person in my family to be going to university, to even have the desire to get a higher education. No one made me choose this profession or this uni. I didn't have any help getting to where I am today with all of the academic achievements that I have earned and the invaluable work/volunteering experience that I have acquired. It was all me and I just think that if I can get through all of that and still want to become a doctor and pursue my dream and be there for others then Cambridge should be able to look past 2 little B's (which were flukes) and see that that kind of passion and determination are qualities that they should want in a prospective applicant and exactly what they need in a student that they could then shape into a real top notch medical professional. Don't you think? (BTW if anyone feels the need to share their own troubles and/or wants to rant about something/anything then feel free to message me :smile: )

Sorry for the life story/rant and I know that I write waaayyyy too much but I'm just concerned with how everything will play out...at this point I am just hoping for an invitation for an interview, let alone an offer and a place, but I just know that if I can get that far then I will really be able to show them my potential... :smile: Thanks!

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form

plus email the admissions tutors at one or two colleges and ask.. contact details are on college websites.
Reply 323
Thank you so much for replying to my message.

I also forgot to ask what would be acceptable to mention in the Extenuating Circumstances Form since in my case that only did I have the issue of my uncle's death but also the year before I started my Scottish Highers I had somewhat of a gap year since my college ran out of places for my course and so I mainly had to just work. Once my course started my parents lost their jobs which required me to work while I studied my Highers. Their relationship also fell apart and my father became violent. My mother also became unstable and a danger to herself after she heard the news of my uncle's death. A lot has happened this past year which is why I may only manage to get AAABB (the B's are in Maths and Chemistry) as my Highers results instead of the 5 A's that I was predicted for but I know that I can get 3-4 A1's in my Advanced Highers since the above problems will be resolved by the time that I start studying my Advanced Highers. So should I write everything on the form or just what I believe might have effected my exam results the most like my uncle's death?

Also, are interviews for Medicine centered mainly around Biology topics or due Chemistry, Physics and Maths questions come up as well such as "How would you adjust ethanol to make it a stronger acid?" or "If the Earth has an angular diameter 3.6 times that of the Sun when viewed from the Moon, what is the ratio of densities of the Sun and the Earth?", ect.? Thank you.

Your school submits the extenuating Circumstances Form for you, so you would need to talk to them about what should be mentioned. You can include anything relevant that you feel has adversely affected your education, particularly during GCSEs and beyond.

We consider Chemistry to be the most vital science for Medicine, but interviewers may ask questions based on anything you have studied (they can see from your application the topics that you have covered), so it's best to revise everything. Although they will also ask you to have a go at some unfamiliar material, they will have a good knowledge of what you have and haven't studied and are interested in how you approach new things, rather than your existing knowledge of them.
Reply 324
Original post by henrygriff28
Thanks, this helps a lot. Also, how do the university as a whole view getting a part-time job while studying? Is it allowed or does the intense workload mean it isn't possible?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We do discourage students from having part time jobs during term time. The short terms mean that workload is quite intense and it is unlikely that you will be able to keep up a job alongside studying. However, there are some opportunities to do some casual work during term time; a good example is being an ambassador for your college or the University and helping with outreach events such as Open Days. There is also hardship funding available to help you out should you genuinely need it, as well as various grants for books, travel, sport etc.
Reply 325

I really think your best option is indeed to approach individual colleges. As your educational background and your circumstances are not straightforward, I think it would help to seek advice from the college(s) that you are thinking of applying to.
Reply 326
Original post by PeaceLoveRain
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!

I'm an international student considering applying for undergraduate programs in the U.K and Cambridge would be my ideal university. I'm interested in your Psychological and Behavioural Sciences course and would like to know about admission opportunities.

I'm currently in the IB Diploma Programme and my average score in my first year was about 39-40 points. In my IGCSE's, I got 6 A*'s and 2 A's.

Is there any way to make my application stand out? What would you be looking for in applicants?

Any information you have would be of great help! Cambridge has always been my dream university and I do believe it would help me achieve my full potential.

Do take some time out to reply to this, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Almost all of the applications we receive are very strong on paper, and this is one important reason for using interviews as part of our assessment process. However, you can use your personal statement to 'introduce' yourself and tell us a bit about you and your interests.

What we are looking for is academic engagement and exploration of the subject you are applying for. This doesn't mean that we would expect you to have an in-depth knowledge (especially for a subject such as PBS that many applicants won't have studied before). We'd just like to know that you have gone beyond your school curriculum to find out more about what interests you. For example, if there are two or three aspects of psychology that really interest you, you could try to find some studies into those areas, or watch some relevant tv programmes. There might be journals or websites that could be useful too. Try http://www.bbc.co.uk/iwonder for a start.

Remember, whatever you do, make sure you reflect on it critically. Think about why you agree or disagree, try to find some reading that either supports or contradicts it. Don't be scared to form your own opinions! We'd like to hear not just what you did, but what you learned from it.

Good luck!
Reply 327
Original post by DanteA
Hey, I'm not sure if you will know this but it's worth a shot. I read that you judge people on academic achievement and relevant extra experience. I'm currently completing The Brilliant Club. All you need to know about it is that it's a gifted and talented programme where I'm learning about Physics in a form of supervisions (like Cambridge.)

I would like to apply for computer science, and a good grade in Physics is seen as desirable, however the physics I'm learning in this gifted and talented programme is the universe and planets, not electricity and power which is what is useful to Computer Science. As it doesn't focus on the part of physics I would use on the course. Is it worth completing? Wil it help my application at all by mentioning it? Because I don't really want to complete it, but if it can help my application, I will put in all my effort.

I know about the the Brilliant Club programme - in fact, we have hosted several visits for them at Fitz I think it would certainly encourage you to continue with the programme. Although what you are studying may not be directly linked to Computer Science, you can certainly gain useful skills and knowledge. You'll be writing a project, which will help to hone your academic research and essay writing skills, and the supervision-style sessions will help you to practice thinking critically and expressing your ideas. I think you should also consider why it is that you want to study Computer Science and not physics. What is it that fascinates you about computers, but not about astronomy?

I hope this helps!
Reply 328
Hi folks!

Who came to an Open Day at Cambridge last week? Hope some of you came to see us at Fitz :smile:
Hi Aemilia. Let me first thank you for helping us by taking time to answer these questions. It is much appreciated.
I am Ankur Sharma from Norway and I applied to Queens College this year for Engineering. Unfortunately I was rejected after being pooled. I was doing IB and was predicted 41 points.

Spoiler

Today I received my IB results and I got 43 points, getting 7 in Economics SL and A in both TOK and extended essay.
I was and am still very keen to study Engineering in Cambridge, and so I am really considering reapplying.

Do you think that my actual grades being better than predicted grades could have a significant positive impact on my application if i were to take a gap year and reapply or do they really not make a huge difference to my application? Also, I will probably gain some work experience during my gap year. Could this help improve my application significantly?

In feedback, I was told that I was not able to apply my knowledge to real life situations (physics) even though I was strong mathematically. They said that my problem-solving was not fast enough.
I think I may be able able to improve on this weakness during the gap year. Moreover, since the rejection I have particiapted and reached the national finals in Physics olympiad here in Norway, perhaps suggesting that I may be able to improve my problem solving skills to the required level for Cambridge.

Do you recommend me to take a gap year and reapply. What do you suggest? I do not want to take a gap year unless my chances of acceptance have improved.

Thanks very much!

Any ideas much appreciated.
Hi, it might not be a super important question, but I'd like to hear your opinion anyway:
In the personal statememt, I'm going to include a few supercurriculars I'll have done. Some are taster days, some are long term programmes. Assuming they are all equally relevant, but the tasters were at prestigious universities whilst the long term schemes weren't:
1. Does the order of inclusion in the personal statement matter?
2.Does it matter which ones I'm expanding on (should I talk more about the long term things)?
3.Also, how much time is put into reading a personal statement? Is more than one person reading it? Thank you.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for replying to my message, this has been of great help to me.
Original post by ¡Muy bien!
Hi, it might not be a super important question, but I'd like to hear your opinion anyway:
In the personal statememt, I'm going to include a few supercurriculars I'll have done. Some are taster days, some are long term programmes. Assuming they are all equally relevant, but the tasters were at prestigious universities whilst the long term schemes weren't:
2.Does it matter which ones I'm expanding on (should I talk more about the long term things)?
3.Also, how much time is put into reading a personal statement? Is more than one person reading it? Thank you.

1. No
2. A PS should never be just a list. What matters is to show what interested you, what you thought or learned about something, how it stimulated you to want to find out more. About 2/3-3/4 should be academic interest, whether from things you have studied or read, in or beyond your course. There are some good examples elsewhere on TSR. If something is known to have a competitive entry it is worth flagging that one up if you can say something interesting.
3. They are much more important for universities that don't interview. At Cambridge they know that many are written by "committee" of parents and teachers and tend to place less value on them. Most people who apply to Cambridge will actually go elsewhere in the end so this aspect should be remembered!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 333
Original post by Xiuchen
Hi, sorry I have a few more questions I'm currently studying at a good grammar school, but I think it is possible that I might go to a private school for sixth-form (Charterhouse) but I'm not sure. So I'm wondering does Cambridge's selection process favor ones who are from state schools? I'm wondering as I have read articles about how less Independent school students are getting into Cambridge. And does Cambridge have preferences as to whether an applicant studies IB/Pre-U/A -Levels? Also I looked on the website and for Fitzwilliam College for the admission for PBS course there is a "College test at interview" could you explain to me what that means? Is it a test based on a particular syllabus? And would the interview still be similar to the rest of the college's or would it be shortened because of the test, or be based on the test? Also I'm slightly confused as to what "College-set study/reading at interview" means. If you could explain that would be great!! Thanks a lot!!
(The quotes are admission tests for particular colleges taken from here:http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...oural-sciences)

We don't prefer students from any particular school background, we just want the best possible students. We do take account of school context, and we're looking for those students who are performing towards the top of their cohort.

We accept IB, Pre-U and A Levels and we don't prefer one over the others. Applicants are often taking a combination of A Levels and Pre-Us, and we write offers accordingly.

I can only comment on the PBS admissions test at Fitzwilliam, as it won't be the same at all colleges, but we usually give applicants an hour to read some topical material and then write respond in essay form.
Reply 334
Original post by random_boy
Hi Aemilia. Let me first thank you for helping us by taking time to answer these questions. It is much appreciated.
I am Ankur Sharma from Norway and I applied to Queens College this year for Engineering. Unfortunately I was rejected after being pooled. I was doing IB and was predicted 41 points.

Spoiler

Today I received my IB results and I got 43 points, getting 7 in Economics SL and A in both TOK and extended essay.
I was and am still very keen to study Engineering in Cambridge, and so I am really considering reapplying.

Do you think that my actual grades being better than predicted grades could have a significant positive impact on my application if i were to take a gap year and reapply or do they really not make a huge difference to my application? Also, I will probably gain some work experience during my gap year. Could this help improve my application significantly?

In feedback, I was told that I was not able to apply my knowledge to real life situations (physics) even though I was strong mathematically. They said that my problem-solving was not fast enough.
I think I may be able able to improve on this weakness during the gap year. Moreover, since the rejection I have particiapted and reached the national finals in Physics olympiad here in Norway, perhaps suggesting that I may be able to improve my problem solving skills to the required level for Cambridge.

Do you recommend me to take a gap year and reapply. What do you suggest? I do not want to take a gap year unless my chances of acceptance have improved.

Thanks very much!

Any ideas much appreciated.

Hi there and congratulations on such a great set of results!

Generally speaking, Cambridge is happy to consider reapplicants, although it is advisable to reapply to a different college (this is what we say at Fitz anyway).

Many reapplicants do so because they get better grades than they expected in their exams. I don't think the 7 in SL Economics would make a big difference, as we are interested in point score and HL results. However, I would think that with 43 points and 7,7,6, we could look at your application again.

The feedback from Queens' suggests that the problem was not with your predicted grades (which were certainly good enough to be competitive), but with your thinking skills at interview. Therefore, I would only advise you to reapply if you genuinely feel that a gap year will help you to improve in the areas that they highlighted.

Work experience can be helpful, especially for Engineering applicants, but just make sure that you reflect on whatever you're doing so that you can explain at interview what you have gained from your experiences.

Only you can decide whether or not to reapply. Whilst reapplicants are not at any disadvantage, there is also no guarantee of success the second time around. If you have offers from other top universities, I'd urge you to think very carefully before declining those offers to reapply to Cambridge.

I hope this helps with your decision.
Reply 335
Original post by ¡Muy bien!

It doesn't really matter what order you list things in. I'd advise that you expand on the things that you learned most from, even if this means that you can't include a mention of all the things you have done. Remember that when you complete the Cambridge Supplementary Application Questionnaire, there is space to add a little to your personal statement if you wish, so you could use this space to mention anything you had to leave out in the UCAS personal statement.

Your personal statement is read by the Admissions Tutor and by your interviewers, to get a sense of your subject exploration and interest.
Reply 336
Hi I got 200/200 in C12 97/100 in S1 200/200 in C34 and 100/100 in M1. Overall 597/600 A*. In further mathsm I got F1,F2,F3,S2,S3 All 100 and 92 in M2. Overall 592/600 A*. In physics AS i got 300/300 and chemistry 290/300, Economics 292/300. I want to study mathematics at cambridge. Would I be able to join cambridge
Original post by anujsr
Hi I got 200/200 in C12 97/100 in S1 200/200 in C34 and 100/100 in M1. Overall 597/600 A*. In further mathsm I got F1,F2,F3,S2,S3 All 100 and 92 in M2. Overall 592/600 A*. In physics AS i got 300/300 and chemistry 290/300, Economics 292/300. I want to study mathematics at cambridge. Would I be able to join cambridge

You will get an interview. If you perform in line with those results and your English is of a good standard you will get an offer. Not everybody makes their offer in Maths as the STEP exams are difficult even for those with good results. Are these results from last summer? What will you be doing next year? I'm not clear why you have your results already? You will need to keep your maths up next year as not all colleges like GAP years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good evening,
I'm an Italian student who wants to study in the UK. I am considering applaying to Cambridge but its repputation scares me a bit. Also I don't really have anyone to compare with because our school system is very different from the English one. I would like to know if being an international student may affect my application in some ways and if having pretty high grades but few (nearly none actually) extracurriculars will be much of a problem. Thank you
Original post by Alice M.
Good evening,
I'm an Italian student who wants to study in the UK. I am considering applaying to Cambridge but its repputation scares me a bit. Also I don't really have anyone to compare with because our school system is very different from the English one. I would like to know if being an international student may affect my application in some ways and if having pretty high grades but few (nearly none actually) extracurriculars will be much of a problem. Thank you

Have you read this as a starting point?
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/italy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending