The Student Room Group

A-levels for Dentistry- HELP!!!

So I was dead set on doing law and choosing humanities subjects at a-level. However, whilst revising for my gcse's I've noticed that I've been enjoying biology and chemistry. I've become quite interested in possibly studying dentistry at uni. So back to the point, I was wondering if anyone could advise me on whether the following subjects would be valid choices;

-biology
-chemistry
-history
-french

Thanks to anyone that responds :smile:)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aha1
So I was dead set on doing law and choosing humanities subjects at a-level. However, whilst revising for my gcse's I've noticed that I've been enjoying biology and chemistry. I've become quite interested in possibly studying dentistry at uni. So back to the point, I was wondering if anyone could advise me on whether the following subjects would be valid choices;

-biology
-chemistry
-history
-french

yeah these options are fine for dentistry, and theyd be good to keep your options open just in case you change your mind again
when you realise how hard it is to get into dentistry at uni you might be put off lol
Reply 2
I think long as you have biology and chemistry you're fine! Double check on the uni websites you'd like to go to on what they require but I'm pretty sure those 4 subjects are good!
From law to dentistry, that's a drastic change. Sounds like someone is in it for the money:wink:
Also may i ask, why not medicine or biochemistry if you enjoy biology and chemistry?
Reply 5
Original post by TechnoHead
From law to dentistry, that's a drastic change. Sounds like someone is in it for the money:wink:

Definitely not for the money, both my parents are barristers and they make a good enough income... Anyway with regard to your other response I'm also looking into biochemistry
Reply 6
Original post by yasmin#2
yeah these options are fine for dentistry, and theyd be good to keep your options open just in case you change your mind again
when you realise how hard it is to get into dentistry at uni you might be put off lol

Law is just ask competitive so I think I'm good :smile: thanks
Reply 7
Original post by aha1

-biology
-chemistry
-history
-french

May I ask what you're predicted for GCSEs? Maths is also good.:smile:
Reply 8
Maths :3
Definitely, it keeps your options open and also great for any medicine related course.
Reply 9
Original post by SashaF
May I ask what you're predicted for GCSEs? Maths is also good.:smile:

I've got an A* in RS
Predicted mainly A*'s and an A in maths and physics Maths would never be an option and I can't wait to never have to do it again!!
Reply 10
Original post by Azarashi
Maths :3
Definitely, it keeps your options open and also great for any medicine related course.

Reply 11
omg, i was exactly the same, im year 11 too, and also wanted to pursure a career in law as well as being quite keen on it & i do find it kind off interesting but i find revising for sciences and maths so much more fun and now i've also changed my mind to doing dentistry. i find english and humanities boring although i am good at them, so yh, i took Chem Bio Maths and Socio but i might change socio? idk maybe to philosophy and theolgy? im not quite sure yet but yeah i hope dentistry is the right choice for me although im still not 100% sure yet

people find it really weird how ive changed from law to dentistry because theyre so different but idk im still a bit unsure haha
goodluck anyways
Original post by aha1

That would make it harder for you to apply in the field sciences I think, as most candidates who want to go into medicine will have done maths. It's also a great help for your science A Levels, since they of course involve maths
Reply 13
Original post by zinky99
omg, i was exactly the same, im year 11 too, and also wanted to pursure a career in law as well as being quite keen on it & i do find it kind off interesting but i find revising for sciences and maths so much more fun and now i've also changed my mind to doing dentistry. i find english and humanities boring although i am good at them, so yh, i took Chem Bio Maths and Socio but i might change socio? idk maybe to philosophy and theolgy? im not quite sure yet but yeah i hope dentistry is the right choice for me although im still not 100% sure yet

people find it really weird how ive changed from law to dentistry because theyre so different but idk im still a bit unsure haha
goodluck anyways

I thought I was reading my own post then!! :redface: anyway I think I'm just going to see what my results are like and then decide from there. Thanks and good luck to you too! X
Reply 14
Original post by Azarashi
That would make it harder for you to apply in the field sciences I think, as most candidates who want to go into medicine will have done maths. It's also a great help for your science A Levels, since they of course involve maths

Guess I'll just have to accept the fact that i'll be at a disadvantage then :smile:
Original post by aha1
Guess I'll just have to accept the fact that i'll be at a disadvantage then :smile:

Seems like you're THAT opposed to doing it xD It's not that bad haha~
Hi I'm thinking of taking dentistry as well and for next year I've chosen maths biology chemistry and psychology
Reply 17
Original post by applecandy
Hi I'm thinking of taking dentistry as well and for next year I've chosen maths biology chemistry and psychology

cool, i would do maths but i really dislike it... i was thinking psychology but i'd rather do a humanities.
your subject choices are good i think :smile:
Original post by aha1
Law is just ask competitive so I think I'm good :smile: thanks

You have no idea but good luck anyway kiddo
Most universities only require biology and chemistry so you should be fine without maths :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest