The Student Room Group

C4 Integration Question

Untitled.png

I can integrate this fine when rearranging my equation in terms of cosec, but my question is that can you integrate this using cot, and if not, why?

Because the integral of cotx is lnsinx so can't you just integrate (cot2x)^2
Original post by creativebuzz
Untitled.png

I can integrate this fine when rearranging my equation in terms of cosec, but my question is that can you integrate this using cot, and if not, why?

How would you do it?
Original post by ghostwalker
How would you do it?

I wasn't entirely sure but could you do what you would do if you were dealing with (sin2x)^2 or (cos2x)^2 etc etc by doing 1/3(lnsin2x)(1/2) + c which is 1/6(lnsin2x) + c
Try using an appropriate trig identity. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Untitled.png

Which exam board is this from ?
Original post by Roxanne18
Which exam board is this from ?

It's just an edexcel soloman paper
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Try using an appropriate trig identity. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You might want to read the initial post again :P
It's just an edexcel soloman paper

Ah okay, so what's a soloman paper ?
I wasn't entirely sure but could you do what you would do if you were dealing with (sin2x)^2 or (cos2x)^2 etc etc by doing 1/3(lnsin2x)(1/2) + c which is 1/6(lnsin2x) + c

If I was dealing the (sin2x)^2 or (cos2x)^2, I'd use the double angle formula with cos4x.

Really not clear what you're proposing "1/3(lnsin2x)(1/2) + c" is the integral of.
Original post by ghostwalker
If I was dealing the (sin2x)^2 or (cos2x)^2, I'd use the double angle formula with cos4x.

Really not clear what you're proposing "1/3(lnsin2x)(1/2) + c" is the integral of.

Yeah I realised that afterwards :P I think what I was mixing it up is when you can integrate (sinx)^2 by working backwards (differentiating)!

But if we can integrate sin2x and we can integrate (sinx)^2, why can't we integrate (sin2x)^2 without re-writing it?
Yeah I realised that afterwards :P I think what I was mixing it up is when you can integrate (sinx)^2 by working backwards (differentiating)!

But if we can integrate sin2x and we can integrate (sinx)^2, why can't we integrate (sin2x)^2 without re-writing it?

You cannot integrate:

sin2θ\sin^2 \theta

without using a double angle formulae.
Reply 11
Original post by boromir9111

Spoiler

But how do you jump to that last line? The integral of cosec(x) is -ln|cosec(x) + cot (x)

Or are you using the reverse of the differential formulae given in the C3 tables?
Original post by urkadee
But how do you jump to that last line? The integral of cosec(x) is -ln|cosec(x) + cot (x)

Or are you using the reverse of the differential formulae given in the C3 tables?

I deleted my post because OP said he/she knew how to do it in that form. But, since you have asked:

integral of (1/sin^2(x)) dx = integral (sinx/sin^3(x)) dx =
integral (sin(x)/(1-cos^2(x))^3/2 = integral (-du/(1-u^2)^(3/2)......this integral can be evaluated:

integral (-du/(1-u^2)^(3/2) = (-u/(1-u^2)^(1/2))+ C = -cos(x)/sinx + C
Original post by Roxanne18
Ah okay, so what's a soloman paper ?

Solomon Maths papers are hard practice papers, mainly for Edexcel and OCR ?

http://www.churchillmaths.co.uk/cmlweb/solomon-press.html
Reply 14
Original post by boromir9111
I deleted my post because OP said he/she knew how to do it in that form. But, since you have asked:

integral of (1/sin^2(x)) dx = integral (sinx/sin^3(x)) dx =
integral (sin(x)/(1-cos^2(x))^3/2 = integral (-du/(1-u^2)^(3/2)......this integral can be evaluated:

integral (-du/(1-u^2)^(3/2) = (-u/(1-u^2)^(1/2))+ C = -cos(x)/sinx + C

Can you explain the second last line? Im getting confused by the denominator.

why does it go from (1-u^2)^3/2 to ((1-u^2)^1/2)?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jai Sandhu
You cannot integrate:

sin2θ\sin^2 \theta

without using a double angle formulae.

Yeah I already mentioned that I knew that! But I was wondering why that's the case considering you can integrate sin2x and (sinx)^2, I just wanted to know the exact reasoning behind it really..
Reply 16
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you were to differentiate cot(2x), applying the first line in the C3 tables tan(kx) = ksec^2(kx)

This would mean that if you were to differentiate cot(2x), you would get -2cosec^2(2x), not cosec^2(2x).

So integrating -2cosec^2(2x) would get you cot2x.
You would need the 2 in "-2cosec" to get the cot2x.

When you integrate (sinx)^2 you rewrite it, in a similiar fashion to (sin2x)^2
Yeah I already mentioned that I knew that! But I was wondering why that's the case considering you can integrate sin2x and (sinx)^2, I just wanted to know the exact reasoning behind it really..

Unparseable latex formula:

\sin \2theta

is in the same general form as sinθ \sin \theta , i.e. anything of the form sin(kθ+c) \sin {(k\theta+c)} can be integrated straight up. However, I cannot explain the exact reasoning behind why it does not work for something squared, however, by trail and error, integrate sin2θ \sin^2 \theta you way you would do
Unparseable latex formula:

\sin \2theta

and then differentiate it. You will find that when you differentiate it you do not get the same thing you started with.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you were to integrate (cotx)^2, as you asked, you encounter a problem when correcting the coefficient.

By this I mean, if you were to integrate, say, cos 2x ======> 1/2 sin 2x

You write a '1/2' in front to correct the coefficient (because if you were to differentiate sin 2x you get 2 cos 2x; so multiplying this by 1/2 removes the 2 effectively)

If you tried the same thing with (cot x)^2, writing this as (ln| sin x |)^2 would not be appropriate, because if you were to differentiate this, you get 2cos x / sin x.

You have an unwanted cos x, for which you cannot 'correct' - you can only correct for integers.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest