The Student Room Group

FIFA - Putin now supports Blatter publicly - should we boycott Russia 2018?

It's been wonderful hearing about the FIFA arrests and corruption probe - how totally overdue and how welcome. :clap2:

Of course, a cynic might wonder if US policies toward Russia lie behind the recent moves - it seems awfully late in the day to suddenly wake up and realise that one of the most notoriously corrupt international organisations is, er, rotten to the core.

Russia has predictably gone to their defence. Today Putin has attacked US involvement.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/fifa/11634953/fifa-crisis-arrests-sepp-blatter-live.html

It does seem that US-Russian politics is playing a part, which is a shame, because Qatar is the real scandal, not least the fact that hundreds of poor migrant workers are dying there constructing the stadium and facilities. The Qatari government cares not a jot.

Should we boycott 2018 as a protest?

If Blatter doesn't go, should we get out of FIFA altogether? Surely there is scope to create a new world body of football, starting, say, in Europe?

Scroll to see replies

I think we should boycott FIFA altogether to stand against a corrupt organisation, we should also stand against Russian and Qatar if they used corruption to host the World Cup.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's been wonderful hearing about the FIFA arrests and corruption probe - how totally overdue and how welcome. :clap2:

Of course, a cynic might wonder if US policies toward Russia lie behind the recent moves - it seems awfully late in the day to suddenly wake up and realise that one of the most notoriously corrupt international organisations is, er, rotten to the core.

Russia has predictably gone to their defence. Today Putin has attacked US involvement.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/fifa/11634953/fifa-crisis-arrests-sepp-blatter-live.html

It does seem that US-Russian politics is playing a part, which is a shame, because Qatar is the real scandal, not least the fact that hundreds of poor migrant workers are dying there constructing the stadium and facilities. The Qatari government cares not a jot.

Should we boycott 2018 as a protest?

If Blatter doesn't go, should we get out of FIFA altogether? Surely there is scope to create a new world body of football, starting, say, in Europe?

We should start a new football organisation and we should scrap FIFA and UEFA
I suppose Sepp will always have a job running Russian football, if all else fails. :lol:

Lettuce be real, USA is only doing this cos they're well jel that no one else cares about American Football (AKA. rip off rugby) and Soccer is the "beautiful game", thus they now wish to undermine football organizations to weaken the game.

I think you'll find Putin would back me 110% on this truth.
Reply 5
We won't boycott, we'll just cunningly and deliberately play so badly that we don't stay beyond the group stages.
It's all well and good saying we should boycott but that is obviously not going to happen. It's just such a shame that Figo and Van Praag have dropped out of the presidential race. Clearly Blatter will be in charge for a number of years foreseeable and FIFA, as the world football governing body will continue to mercilessly corrupt the beautiful game in all aspects. This is a bleak time for politics in the sport.

Never in such instances have I seen a majority feel such disdain toward the next upcoming two world cups.
If UEFA had any integrity, they wouldn't stand behind such an obviously and completely corrupt organisation.

They won't, of course, because they might end up out of pocket.
Reply 8
UEFA first need to distance themselves from FIFA as an organisation, and urge members to stand solid and boycott together. Only then will we see results. And, no matter what you feel about the USA's involvement, the only chance of taking down FIFA's corrupt members is involvement by establishments like the CIA and FBI. Nothing else has worked.
This is football. Why should politics be involved in this?

Plus Russia already spent billions on constructing stadiums, so it would be unfair on them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne

Plus Russia already spent billions on constructing stadiums, so it would be unfair on them.

If they obtained the right to host through illegal means, then I find it hard to have much sympathy...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drewski
We won't boycott, we'll just cunningly and deliberately play so badly that we don't stay beyond the group stages.

:lol:

Why not? The plan has worked well so far, most of the time.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
It's all well and good saying we should boycott but that is obviously not going to happen. It's just such a shame that Figo and Van Praag have dropped out of the presidential race. Clearly Blatter will be in charge for a number of years foreseeable and FIFA, as the world football governing body will continue to mercilessly corrupt the beautiful game in all aspects. This is a bleak time for politics in the sport.

Never in such instances have I seen a majority feel such disdain toward the next upcoming two world cups.

I think it would be amazing and weird if global corps like Coca Cola and Nike were to continue to sponsor it if Blatter is back. I don't think they will.

That would leave Blatter in charge of an effectively dead organisation. It will be like medieval Europe where they had Popes and Anti-Popes and Second Popes and False Popes,
Reply 13
They probably want to get Russia out of 2018 because they know they're going to invade it.

Threat starter what is your real issue with Russia?

Putin's said this is similar to Assange and Snowden.

Original post by Guffalo
They probably want to get Russia out of 2018 because they know they're going to invade it.

Threat starter what is your real issue with Russia?

Putin's said this is similar to Assange and Snowden.

I don't have a problem with 'Russia' if you mean 'the Russian people'. I have a whole set of problems with Putin's brainwashing, authoritarian, KGB throwback government and his deranged return to a weird hybrid of Soviet paranoia and Tsarist empire building. Oh and I don't exclude NATO from criticism, given that their gameplaying since Yeltsin has been all about attempting to restart the cold war and justify their bloated existence. Really, NATO and Putin are two sides of the same militaristic coin, but neither help the Russian people much, still less the absurd Ukraine expedition and the threats and bluster and lies that go with it.

I also don't find the US blameless, as I said in the OP, it's more than convenient that US law authorities have suddenly detected a problem with FIFA corruption - Putin hits the button correctly when he critiques them for that - but it's a massive case of pots and kettles. Putin can be right about things, whilst still being a perfect ****.
Reply 15
This has to do with two things imo.

First to get at Russia who are hosting the 2018 games.

Second this scandal delays the vote to ban ISRAEL from the League.

Coincidence? Everyone knows Jews rule America.
Reply 16
It would be a better result for England :banana2:
Uefa should break off from Fifa, other confederations will follow suit. Fifa is an embarrassment to the beautiful game.
People in favour of FIFA: AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL, OFC

People against FIFA: UEFA - and not even the majority, Eastern Europe & Southern Europe are in favour of Blatter.

So yeah, World Cup consisting of Germany, England, Scotland, Wales, France, Netherlands, Belgium.

Ain't that going to be fun.

Original post by Swanbow
Uefa should break off from Fifa, other confederations will follow suit. Fifa is an embarrassment to the beautiful game.

yh cos England is such a huge world leader everyone will flock to their confederation

especially brazil hhhhhh xaxaxaxa jajaja

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending