The Student Room Group

UCAS Extra

I have got all my offers from my Uni But I kinda changed my mind about going to my Firm choice.

Ucas said I can contact my University and could ask them to withdraw me which would allow me pursue another certain Uni through Ucas Extra.

However; Say if I didn't get a place for my chosen uni through Extra. Could I still go back to my firm choice or re-apply again? Or would it not be logical.
Reply 1
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
I have got all my offers from my Uni But I kinda changed my mind about going to my Firm choice.

Ucas said I can contact my University and could ask them to withdraw me which would allow me pursue another certain Uni through Ucas Extra.

However; Say if I didn't get a place for my chosen uni through Extra. Could I still go back to my firm choice or re-apply again? Or would it not be logical.

I done the same thing as you. I firmed a uni, then changed my mind and asked them to reject me then applied through extra. You can't go back to your firm choice once you ask to be released from them. You can call your firm choice before you ask to be released asking if they have spaces for the course you want to do so you can apply there again though. However just because a uni has said they have space and will consider you doesn't mean a guarantee of an offer. You can apply again to another uni if you are rejected or have waited longer than 21 days and haven't got a reply. The deadline for extra is 30th June so this still gives you some time. Then if you have no offers you can go through clearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by r-t
I done the same thing as you. I firmed a uni, then changed my mind and asked them to reject me then applied through extra. You can't go back to your firm choice once you ask to be released from them. You can call your firm choice before you ask to be released asking if they have spaces for the course you want to do so you can apply there again though. However just because a uni has said they have space and will consider you doesn't mean a guarantee of an offer. You can apply again to another uni if you are rejected or have waited longer than 21 days and haven't got a reply. The deadline for extra is 30th June so this still gives you some time. Then if you have no offers you can go through clearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh man it sounds so risky at the same time...
Reply 3
Oh man it sounds so risky at the same time...

Yeh it is. You have to see whether you are willing to take it. I personally was. Or you can just wait and apply through adjustment on results day if you don't want to risk losing your offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Yeh it is. You have to see whether you are willing to take it. I personally was. Or you can just wait and apply through adjustment on results day if you don't want to risk losing your offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait whaa?
I can go through adjustment without losing firm choice?

Which is better though, ucas extra or that? Because If I can still hold my offer whilst trying I'd take it :biggrin:
Reply 5
Wait whaa?
I can go through adjustment without losing firm choice?

Which is better though, ucas extra or that? Because If I can still hold my offer whilst trying I'd take it :biggrin:

Yeh adjustment means that if you exceed the conditions of your order, so say yours want BBB and you get ABB then you have 5 days to try and find another uni by calling and asking around. If a uni is willing to give you a place then you just add their details in on track like you'd do for extra. If you don't find anything you like after 5 days then you just go to your firm choice. But if you need accomodation then this may be harder to sort out last minute. Some uni's do reserve places for later applicants though. Adjustment carries less risk because unlike extra you can still keep your firm offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Yeh adjustment means that if you exceed the conditions of your order, so say yours want BBB and you get ABB then you have 5 days to try and find another uni by calling and asking around. If a uni is willing to give you a place then you just add their details in on track like you'd do for extra. If you don't find anything you like after 5 days then you just go to your firm choice. But if you need accomodation then this may be harder to sort out last minute. Some uni's do reserve places for later applicants though. Adjustment carries less risk because unlike extra you can still keep your firm offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great! Thank you for the help.

I've also contacted the certain Uni I wanted to go to. For my A Level Maths I only got a B then I dropped it. Some want an A. I emailed them regarding that, they said it's fine and will tend to accept based on other grades etc.
So I guess I might go for adjustment :biggrin:
Reply 7
That's great! Thank you for the help.

I've also contacted the certain Uni I wanted to go to. For my A Level Maths I only got a B then I dropped it. Some want an A. I emailed them regarding that, they said it's fine and will tend to accept based on other grades etc.
So I guess I might go for adjustment :biggrin:

Okay, good luck with it all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is the same issue I'm having at the moment. I have only got 1 offer and it's a conditional so I've firmed it, however, because of an incident regards to the area I no longer can see myself going there. However, I don't want to withdraw and go through extra incase I don't get another offer and end up not going anywhere at all. And adjustment will be harder accommodation wise!

I've emailed a uni that offered me an interview but turned it down, to reconsider me for a different course (journalism instead of media and journalism) so I'm waiting for them to get back to me before I make any decisions. Why not try email universities before making any final decisions?
Reply 9
Original post by withlove
This is the same issue I'm having at the moment. I have only got 1 offer and it's a conditional so I've firmed it, however, because of an incident regards to the area I no longer can see myself going there. However, I don't want to withdraw and go through extra incase I don't get another offer and end up not going anywhere at all. And adjustment will be harder accommodation wise!

I've emailed a uni that offered me an interview but turned it down, to reconsider me for a different course (journalism instead of media and journalism) so I'm waiting for them to get back to me before I make any decisions. Why not try email universities before making any final decisions?

But if you've already firmed it then no other uni can give you an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Say if I didn't get a place for my chosen uni through Extra. Could I still go back to my firm choice or re-apply again?

No. Once you give up your Firm/Insurance choices that is it - gone. Which is why you need to be VERY certain that the Extra course really is what you want - and that you meet the admissions requirements in full and that the grades required mean it is a realistic achievable choice.

The alternative process (safer) would be to stick with what you have, wait until Results Day and then decide which course you REALLY want to do (assuming you do get the grades). Then if you decide to go for your 'Extra' choice, dump whatever place you have for this year and apply in October for 2016 for your dream course/Uni, and plan yourself a fabulous Gap Year. This is FAR less stressful than messing about with Extra at the same time as exams, and especially if you arent sure what you do actually want.

PS. Its also very normal to panic at this stage. Have I made the right choice? What if I'd applied for XXX at YYY Uni? Etc, etc. Just be careful that you aren't just panicking. If you make the wrong choice in Extra, there is no way back.
Original post by sydneybridge
No. Once you give up your Firm/Insurance choices that is it - gone. Which is why you need to be VERY certain that the Extra course really is what you want - and that you meet the admissions requirements in full and that the grades required mean it is a realistic achievable choice.

The alternative process (safer) would be to stick with what you have, wait until Results Day and then decide which course you REALLY want to do (assuming you do get the grades). Then if you decide to go for your 'Extra' choice, dump whatever place you have for this year and apply in October for 2016 for your dream course/Uni, and plan yourself a fabulous Gap Year. This is FAR less stressful than messing about with Extra at the same time as exams, and especially if you arent sure what you do actually want.

PS. Its also very normal to panic at this stage. Have I made the right choice? What if I'd applied for XXX at YYY Uni? Etc, etc. Just be careful that you aren't just panicking. If you make the wrong choice in Extra, there is no way back.

I'd rather take the advice above though.
If I can apply and do adjustment whilst keeping my firm. I'm gonna do that.
So how would it all happen for adjustment?

I just call my uni on results day and if i get the grades and they have space, ill be let in?
Reply 13
So how would it all happen for adjustment?

I just call my uni on results day and if i get the grades and they have space, ill be let in?

Yeh there's no list like clearing for adjustment so you have to call the uni's yourself. You call the uni's you're interested in, tell them your grades and if they have spaces and are willing to give you an offer then you add their details on track. If you want to apply to the same uni you can just call them and ask for a transfer rather than applying through adjustment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Yeh there's no list like clearing for adjustment so you have to call the uni's yourself. You call the uni's you're interested in, tell them your grades and if they have spaces and are willing to give you an offer then you add their details on track. If you want to apply to the same uni you can just call them and ask for a transfer rather than applying through adjustment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(sorry for all the Q's just confused)

So if they're willing to give me an offer, just give them my details and that's it, done? Through Adjustment? But before I put all my details in etc. I've technically got the offer?
Reply 15
(sorry for all the Q's just confused)

So if they're willing to give me an offer, just give them my details and that's it, done? Through Adjustment? But before I put all my details in etc. I've technically got the offer?

If they're willing to give you an offer then add the uni on track, technically you do but its only official when it appears on track.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest