The Student Room Group

White privilege/superiority complex at its finest

Scroll to see replies

Original post by felamaslen
Who do you think has more privilege: 50 Cent, or some farmer in Romania?

You can't really compare the two though, think of an average white male/female and an average ethnic male/female. One has white privilege the other doesn't.
Reply 81
So why don't you go there thread starter? see how you like it.

I bet you take plenty of holidays to Tel Aviv...

Just a hunch.

Given who I've seen push this idea of White privilege, they're the most privileged people of all....
But you can't say it, because it would be offensive.

But it is fine to offend White people? some privilege there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by queen-bee
Bahahah what a terrible example. Using an example of a few rich black people when there are a lot more white people who are privileged.

Is it not proof that people living in free, rich countries like the USA have privilege, when compared to people living in poor, relatively unfree or former communist countries?
Original post by Black Cat
You can't really compare the two though, think of an average white male/female and an average ethnic male/female. One has white privilege the other doesn't.

Why aren't white people "ethnic"?
Reply 84
I'm trying to argue that it is not the truth or anything resembling it, rather it is your own racist preconceptions. You clearly lack any interest in the actual causes of poverty and wealth, and would rather engage in childish racism.

I accept that I'm privileged do because of my race. Damn you know so much about me already.
Original post by StrangeBanana
There is a correlation between race and income because most White people live in developed countries. There are plenty of White people living in poverty, and plenty of Black millionaires.

How about we just try finding solutions to poverty, instead of needlessly and superficially separating the problem into "White poverty" and "real poverty" to score points with racists?

I never said there was white poverty and real poverty. All poverty is real and harmful and yes we all do need to try and find solution to the problem.

What I am saying is white people tend to fall into the category of relative poverty. Few (if any) fall into the category of absolute/extreme poverty where they live on less than 1 dollar a day and their lives are constantly in danger due to things like starvation and rampant disease. Whether or not this makes a white person privileged I am not so sure anymore. So I will try to avoid using that term.
it does mean that most Caucasians do have it slightly easier than some people of other races. As you said most whites live in developed countries.
This doesn't mean that black/asian/latino people cant be rich. It just means that more of them suffer poverty to a worse degree than most whites.

But as I've said all poverty should be helped no matter the degree.

Edit : Whoops when I say Asian I mean asians in the third world. Not like Japanese, Singaporean asians.
(edited 8 years ago)
Why aren't white people "ethnic"?

*Ethnic minority* Let me correct myself.
Reply 87
Original post by Guffalo

Just a hunch.

Given who I've seen push this idea of White privilege, they're the most privileged people of all....

I would love to go to Israel one day
Reply 88
Is it not proof that people living in free, rich countries like the USA have privilege, when compared to people living in poor, relatively unfree or former communist countries?

The whites are still the majority who are wealthy
Original post by StrawbAri
I never said there was white poverty and real poverty. All poverty is real and harmful and yes we all do need to try and find solution to the problem.

What I am saying is white people tend to fall into the category of relative poverty. Few (if any) fall into the category of absolute/extreme poverty where they live on less than 1 dollar a day and their lives are constantly in danger due to things like starvation and rampant disease. Whether or not this makes a white person privileged I am not so sure anymore. So I will try to avoid using that term.
it does mean that most Caucasians do have it slightly easier than some people of other races. As you said most whites live in developed countries.
This doesn't mean that black/asian/latino people cant be rich. It just means that more of them suffer poverty to a worse degree than most whites.

But as I've said all poverty should be helped no matter the degree.

The point is these people are not in poverty because they're not White, they're in poverty because they happen to live in a deprived part of the world.
I accept that I'm privileged do because of my race. Damn you know so much about me already.

It's a false premise. There is no point talking about gene privilege but there is a point talking about environment privilege. If you are privileged it is because you grew up in an environment that caters for wealth production.

*ahem*

Original post by StrangeBanana
Reply 92
It's just the reality.

That is only due to the legacy of the West, which invented freedom. During this century, Asia will become more and more rich, and you will notice that wealth follows economic freedom, not white skin as is the illusion of history.
Reply 94
It's a false premise. There is no point talking about gene privilege but there is a point talking about environment privilege. If you are privileged it is because you grew up in an environment that caters for wealth production.

I bet when ethnic minorities complain about racism or discrimination against them,you just laugh it off
Reply 95
That is only due to the legacy of the West, which invented freedom. During this century, Asia will become more and more rich, and you will notice that wealth follows economic freedom, not white skin as is the illusion of history.

I wonder when this will take place
Original post by Black Cat
*Ethnic minority* Let me correct myself.

Does an ethnic white person have privilege over Han Chinese in Shanghai?
I wonder when this will take place

I said, "during this century".
Reply 98
Original post by Guffalo

Just a hunch.

Saying whites are priveleged is racism?
Reply 99

You seem to know a lot on the topic of wealth and race. What did you study?

Quick Reply

Latest