The Student Room Group

Reversing around the corner how much steer needed?

Alright guys I know it depends on the steepness of the corner etc but just in general speaking terms a smooth corner how much steer would I be looking at as a rough guide to get around the corner

1 turn

1 and half turns

?
Original post by Young Jedi
Alright guys I know it depends on the steepness of the corner etc but just in general speaking terms a smooth corner how much steer would I be looking at as a rough guide to get around the corner

1 turn

1 and half turns

?

3/4 of a turn and adjust if needed. That is what my instructor has told me :smile:
i found this to be my easiest maneouvere by far. move off really slowly and keep it at that speed and look around you and in the mirrors etc often as that gets you a 5. also once you are around the corner you want to turn the steering wheel really slowly and as you are going at a slow speed it should be easy to adjust it as and when neccessary- i dont remember every steering more than 1 full revolution, as its more a case of just making slight adjustments. the key thing is just to not panic with the clutch or steering wheel and to ensure you can always see the curb in your mirror. stop if you see someone also and apply the handbrake
Reply 3
Original post by neal95
i found this to be my easiest maneouvere by far. move off really slowly and keep it at that speed and look around you and in the mirrors etc often as that gets you a 5. also once you are around the corner you want to turn the steering wheel really slowly and as you are going at a slow speed it should be easy to adjust it as and when neccessary- i dont remember every steering more than 1 full revolution, as its more a case of just making slight adjustments. the key thing is just to not panic with the clutch or steering wheel and to ensure you can always see the curb in your mirror. stop if you see someone also and apply the handbrake

Thanks for reply so one turn is a good base then? Also when should I be looking to turn back the other way?? And assuming I turn back just the 1 turn
yes i would say so although obviously it wont be the same for all curbs and your instructor would probably tell you that you need to adapt to each situation rather than set a base level. when you are on the straight and going backwards in a straight line is when you should start straightening up
Reply 5
Original post by neal95
yes i would say so although obviously it wont be the same for all curbs and your instructor would probably tell you that you need to adapt to each situation rather than set a base level. when you are on the straight and going backwards in a straight line is when you should start straightening up

Thanks for answering. But I meant when should I start turning away from the curb when the kerb is level with the centre of my back window?
Reply 6
drive forwards around a corner, see how much steering you put on, its the same in reverse :wink:
Reply 7
Was always taught with exact steering amount. Now I've passed my test I just do as much as needed. You'll see that some corners require more than others so it is best to be adaptable rather than always do the same amount. I feel it is the procedure which is more important. Checking over your should for people crossing there, making sure when you swing round there are no cars coming down the road ect. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest