The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

which college to choose?

Hey guys. I'm planning to take History then go into law.. (thats easier to adapt? i think :s-smilie:) anyways I was wondering which college's are good and does our GCSE grades really matter? ( like how many A*'s we got.. what if we have below 3?! :s-smilie:.. is that rejection from durham? ..)ahhh!! I got AAB(b) for a levels ..is that bad!?!? and also rejection from durham.. cuz i just read what they said on the internet we look at gcses eg no. of *'s and i was like really stupid in yr 11!? got like 2 c's.. chemistry and physics pulled me down big time but! i got 7 a's, 2b's and 1 *..thats bad right:s-smilie: omgg the failure =( help!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Erm, firstly calm down! I'm pretty sure the standard A-Level offer for History at Durham is AAA, but don't let that put you off applying, having a good personal statement could get you a place.
For help on choosing a college, try reading the FAQ which you can find here :smile:

As you will see, it doesn't really matter which college you choose academically as all teaching is done centrally, not in college like at Oxbridge. Just choose which college you think will suit you best.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I dont think they do look at GCSEs much because i got no A*s so don't worry about that.
How lazy you are could determine whether you go for a hill or a bailey college as i think the history dept is on the bailey(?). I think everyone is happy at the end of the day with their college though, so wherever you pick i'm sure you will be happy with if you come. Do you have any colleges in mind?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!
You all know what I'm going to say.
Reply 4
Mattmoy_2000

lol!

yes, it's why I refrained from saying anything in this thread :wink:
Reply 5
dobbs
lol!

yes, it's why I refrained from saying anything in this thread :wink:

Seconded!

Oh, wait. Hang on. I can think of two things you would be saying. I was thinking both, but I have a feeling you were thinking the second one.

*restrains self*
Reply 6
Have a look on the net, in the prospectuses, and choose the one you like the look of the most. For example, I chose Trevelyan as it has a flute choir and a toasted sandwich bar :biggrin:
Reply 7
Mattmoy_2000

I decided to be nice. I'm in a good mood today. :p:
Have a look on the net, in the prospectuses, and choose the one you like the look of the most. For example, I chose Trevelyan as it has a flute choir and a toasted sandwich bar

The prospecti are crap, every (well, several) college has a toastie bar (or other form of late-night hot food). They all miss out massive chunks of information and put in completely random and useless trivial information - wow, all rooms in Hatfield are networked, woop-de-doo, they don't tell you that all rooms in DURHAM are networked, that sort of thing.
The only way to tell is either to apply arbitrarily/open or to visit.
Reply 9
Mattmoy_2000
The prospecti are crap, every (well, several) college has a toastie bar (or other form of late-night hot food). They all miss out massive chunks of information and put in completely random and useless trivial information - wow, all rooms in Hatfield are networked, woop-de-doo, they don't tell you that all rooms in DURHAM are networked, that sort of thing.
The only way to tell is either to apply arbitrarily/open or to visit.

It's so true hahah!

Like, I read about Trevs (many years ago) and found that it had so many musical groups. Great for them, I'm not musical AT ALL....:rolleyes:

However, when it comes to actually choosing a college, there's not much else you can go off except the Prospectus (oh and go to college websites - you can learn a lot from them!). Then visit them for an open day :smile:
yeah, the JCR websites are actually much more useful - just search on Google for <<college name>> JCR and it'll be one of the first sites to come up. The only exceptions are University College, when you should search "Castle JCR" and Hild-Bede where they have an SRC instead.
Postgrads should check out M(iddle)CRs and S(enior)CRs, except for ustinov which has a GCR.
Reply 11
Why the hell does Hild Bede call theirs an "SRC" anyway?!?!?! :rolleyes:

Weirdos :p:
Student representative council.
I say balls to SRC!
Reply 13
What's a JCR? Please tell me it doesn't have "junior" in the title. Urgh. Anyway, what would we call our JCR if we called our SRC a JCR?
Reply 14
Erm, what's your JCR?!

A JCR is what *every other college* has, and means "Junior Common Room". Just like MCR is Middle Common Room and SCR is Senior Common Room.

Whilst people think that you might get confused between the JCR as the actual room (pool table, tv, etc.) and the JCR as the body of undergraduate students....you really don't! If someone says "I'll meet you in the JCR" I know I'm not going to wait in the middle of all the students..or something? lol

And I guess your "SRC" is our "JCR Executive Committee" ....or the JCR Exec :smile:
Reply 15
abacab
I dont think they do look at GCSEs much because i got no A*s so don't worry about that.

I presume you don't do history...I went to a Durham history-orientated open day last August, and they said that they would be looking for "a significant number of A* grades at GCSE" because they need to distinguish somehow - they get a horribly high number of applicants. Traditionally - and I think maybe even officially - for history this is at least 6 A*s at GCSE.
BUT - I expect it can be done without the 'perfect application' (i.e. outstanding P.S./some unique trait) but the odds are automatically lower.
That's quite frankly rubbish.
Reply 17
o godd guyss :frown: now im really freeked out so does GCSE count?? acutually if anyone has gotten into durham with 2 or below *'s pls tell me or idk anything :frown:
Reply 18
GCSEs do make some small factor of whether you'll be offered a place. However, A-levels, PS, reference etc are all very important.
There are oodles of people at Durham with less than 2 A*s at GCSE.
Mattmoy_2000
That's quite frankly rubbish.

Actually Matt I think for History the 6A* thing might be true.

Generally its rubbish obviously, but History is ridiculously competitive.

To the OP: talk to the history admissions people to find out, if it is true then there is no point wasting a UCAS space

Latest