The Student Room Group

REJECTED From READING UNIVERSITY

So heartbreaking to hear my first choice uni( University of Reading) rejected me. They claim my GCSE equivalent results was not good enough. I further got angry when I heard of a friend who recently transferred to my uni from reading university due to bad grades. Even until now, his results in my current uni were so bad he had to resit the subject 4 TIMES. That is straight up bull**** considering the fact that reading university accepted him in the first place!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It s upsetting now but in the long term you'll look back and think how happy you are at another uni. Have you got any other offers? If not there's alway clearing and if you exceed your offers then there's always adjustment aswell and extra too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
chill :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Stepidermis
chill :frown:

Do you know how disappointing it is? It's like putting in so much effort and getting rejected :frown:
How about your Insurance choice - would you not be happy to go there?
Reply 5
Original post by somethingbeautiful
How about your Insurance choice - would you not be happy to go there?

I have only one offer at the moment, the other 3 choices rejected me straight off the bat......
Original post by Wroetoshaw
Do you know how disappointing it is? It's like putting in so much effort and getting rejected :frown:

I got rejected from somewhere I really wanted to go to too, but that's just life, try to be more optimistic :smile:
I have only one offer at the moment, the other 3 choices rejected me straight off the bat......

Don't lose hope. You can still go through clearing. I'm a graduate - I got into a Russell Group University through clearing. Clearing opens in July so you have plenty of time to do some research. Find out which unis had your chosen degree in clearing over the last few years. It's a long time since I was in your position but search TSR for clearing lists for previous years - people used to type them up from the Independent newspaper - I don't know if this still happens on TSR but I suggest you look.

Once you know where vacancies are likely to be then you can prioritize which unis you'd like to apply to before you even know if they're in clearing which makes the process much quicker by the time clearing places are released. I'd also get your PS double checked to make sure that hasn't had an impact on your application. If it's not up to scratch then ask whichever uni you apply to through clearing if you can send them another PS to consider.

Do your best to get in through clearing but at the end of the day if you need to take a year out it's not the end of the world. Stay positive, best of luck.
Reply 8
Original post by Stepidermis
I got rejected from somewhere I really wanted to go to too, but that's just life, try to be more optimistic :smile:

I'm trying to...but now its kind of hard to take in 😣
So heartbreaking to hear my first choice uni( University of Reading) rejected me. They claim my GCSE equivalent results was not good enough. I further got angry when I heard of a friend who recently transferred to my uni from reading university due to bad grades. Even until now, his results in my current uni were so bad he had to resit the subject 4 TIMES. That is straight up bull**** considering the fact that reading university accepted him in the first place!

Why does what happened to your friend make you angry? He was accepted by Reading but then had to leave due to bad grades, and has continued to be a poor student at Hertfordshire. Reading simply made a mistake in accepting him in the first place.
Your grades were below the standard that they were looking for. Reading obviously accepted him and realized that it was a bad choice perhaps they are trying to avoid the same mistake.

I'm not trying to be harsh but if you have GCSE equivalents and that isn't what they accept then there isn't much you can do. Surely you knew that they didn't accept equivalents when you applied.
Reply 11
Original post by ageshallnot
Why does what happened to your friend make you angry? He was accepted by Reading but then had to leave due to bad grades, and has continued to be a poor student at Hertfordshire. Reading simply made a mistake in accepting him in the first place.

He himself also expressed the fact that he did not pass his GCSE's , and had borderline foundation results, whereareas i have did much better than him but got rejected straight off the bat!
Reply 12
Original post by lipslikemorphine
Your grades were below the standard that they were looking for. Reading obviously accepted him and realized that it was a bad choice perhaps they are trying to avoid the same mistake.

I'm not trying to be harsh but if you have GCSE equivalents and that isn't what they accept then there isn't much you can do. Surely you knew that they didn't accept equivalents when you applied.

To be honest, I felt the uni itself put very less effort in going through the applications. Surprisingly I got to know the outcome in less than 5 days, which is a very rare occurrence, as universities normally take at least a week to check through the application forms. Although my GCSE's were poor, my foundation results were very descent, and i also felt my personal statement was on point. I was actually hoping for a conditional offer but in the end it was instant rejection which pretty sucks
He himself also expressed the fact that he did not pass his GCSE's , and had borderline foundation results, whereareas i have did much better than him but got rejected straight off the bat!

Maybe your personal statement wasn't to the standard they wanted.
Reply 14

They are looking for GCSE equivalents and International Foundation Results
Reply 15
Maybe your personal statement wasn't to the standard they wanted.

In what way my personal statement wasn't to the standard they wanted? Like every other people that applied, I did a lot of intense researching to put up the best personal statement i could gather. Comparing to my friend that got accepted, he barely did anything in his statement and again somehow managed to slip through. Isn't that abit too much ?
In what way my personal statement wasn't to the standard they wanted? Like every other people that applied, I did a lot of intense researching to put up the best personal statement i could gather. Comparing to my friend that got accepted, he barely did anything in his statement and again somehow managed to slip through. Isn't that abit too much ?

being bitter about your friend is not going to change the fact that they aren't happy with your application. While they may accept gcse equivalents your results weren't good enough and that is why they said no.
Reply 17
Look stick with what you've got now, try really hard at your A-levels and then try applying there through extra. If you do really well at your A-levels then this may compensate for not having the GCSE's required.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What grades did you get at GCSE?
To be honest, I felt the uni itself put very less effort in going through the applications. Surprisingly I got to know the outcome in less than 5 days, which is a very rare occurrence, as universities normally take at least a week to check through the application forms. Although my GCSE's were poor, my foundation results were very descent, and i also felt my personal statement was on point. I was actually hoping for a conditional offer but in the end it was instant rejection which pretty sucks

The amount of time before your rejection is irrelevant. Admissions tutors often deal with applications in batches, so it is quite likely that yours was examined shortly after it arrived along with many others which arrived both before and after yours. On the subject of timing, I have seen a post on here by someone given a conditional from a top uni in less than an hour. I doubt that he or she complained the uni didn't spend enough time on their application!

Overall, your bitterness at Reading's initial acceptance of your friend is obscuring the fact that they had legitimate reasons for rejecting you. Wading through the rancour, it is perfectly obvious that Reading should have rejected him also.