The Student Room Group

AQA English Language GCSE HELP!

Does anybody have any tips or advice for the AQA English Language Unit 1 exam on Tuesday? Can't seem to get my head round these questions and I am on the verge of giving up! Help please!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I'm also sitting the exam on Tuesday and I am panicking.. In the two mocks we previously did I got a U both times and I'm predicted an A* - how ironic

Anyway, a common issue is timing: for the first three questions which are 8 marks I'd advise you to spend about 12 minutes on. The 16 mark require about 25 minutes and the final 24 mark should take about 35 minutes.

You should always always read through the sources they give you first and highlight or underline key information (go for the first and last sentences of each paragraph), jot down a plan before you answer the 'Writing' section and keep an eye on the clock, you do not want to run out of time without answering the larger mark questions as this will affect your grade greatly -- just bear in mind every question you miss out is a grade decreased :/

Just don't stress yourself out too much, loads of people are in your position & you're not on your own
Reply 2
Don't panic! At least you're revising :biggrin: (unlike a certain someone I know :3 )
What are you worried about - the questions, timing or just everything in general?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Naomtree
Don't panic! At least you're revising :biggrin: (unlike a certain someone I know :3 )
What are you worried about - the questions, timing or just everything in general?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Timing isn't really an issue, I work at it at my own pace and get the paper down in the 2 hours and 15 minutes and spend equal amounts on both sections, just so I don't stress about getting it done in precise times- it used to take me about 2 hours for just one question, so it's progress! I can't seem to get my head around the questions, one minute i'll understand it, then it comes to writing the response and I've not a clue what i'm doing :/ Trying not to panic, wasn't really bothered at first about what I come out with, but I know im capable of getting the top grades...
Reply 4
Original post by secretagent98
Timing isn't really an issue, I work at it at my own pace and get the paper down in the 2 hours and 15 minutes and spend equal amounts on both sections, just so I don't stress about getting it done in precise times- it used to take me about 2 hours for just one question, so it's progress! I can't seem to get my head around the questions, one minute i'll understand it, then it comes to writing the response and I've not a clue what i'm doing :/ Trying not to panic, wasn't really bothered at first about what I come out with, but I know im capable of getting the top grades...

I hate the wording of the questions - sometimes they're so strange and it's impossible to understand what they want!
Is it just one type of question, a section or all of them? (sorry if this is a lot of questions for you, I just want to help in the best way :smile: )
I hate the wording of the questions - sometimes they're so strange and it's impossible to understand what they want!
Is it just one type of question, a section or all of them? (sorry if this is a lot of questions for you, I just want to help in the best way :smile: )

I'm fine with question 1&3 -at least I hope I am! Always get really confused with what question 2 wants, really struggle picking language features out from the texts for question 4 and the writing section just the format for each topic: argue/ persuade or describe/explain/inform :/
Reply 6
I'm fine with question 1&3 -at least I hope I am! Always get really confused with what question 2 wants, really struggle picking language features out from the texts for question 4 and the writing section just the format for each topic: argue/ persuade or describe/explain/inform :/

Would it be helpful to see the notes which my teacher (who used to be an examiner) gave us? I'm warning you, there's quite a lot! If not, I'll try and explain how I answer them :smile:
Would it be helpful to see the notes which my teacher (who used to be an examiner) gave us? I'm warning you, there's quite a lot! If not, I'll try and explain how I answer them :smile:

Yes please! I would really appreciate it, thanks! :smile:
Reply 8
Just for questions 2,4,5 and 6, right?
Just for questions 2,4,5 and 6, right?

Yes please :smile:
Reply 10
HI
I am also sitting in exam on Tuesday I am soo stressed about it. I hv got 41marks in my controlled assessments. does anyone know what grade I hv got in controlled assessments? I really want to achieve Grade B BUT I am stuggling with everything. I am panicking.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by niki11
HI
I am also sitting in exam on Tuesday I am soo stressed about it. I hv got 41marks in my controlled assessments. does anyone know what grade I hv got in controlled assessments? I really want to achieve Grade B BUT I am stuggling with everything. I am panicking.

Based on the grade boundries our teacher give us for our controlled assessment from AQA:
A*-72
A-65
B-56
C-47
D-37
These are last years controlled assessment grade boundries, chance they could go up or down, try not to panic and just try your best in the exam!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Based on the grade boundries our teacher give us for our controlled assessment from AQA:
A*-72
A-65
B-56
C-47
D-37
These are last years controlled assessment grade boundries, chance they could go up or down, try not to panic and just try your best in the exam!

Thank you...Does this mean I hv got D in my controlled assessments?
Reply 13
I cant work out the grade system.
[QUOTE="niki11;56298165"]Thank you...Does this mean I hv got D in my controlled assessments?[/QUOTE

I don't want to say yes or no, because im not a teacher so it isn't my place to tell, but from the mark you have said, I would say its a D
Reply 15
if I am right any marks above 37 is grade c? and any marks above 47 is grade b?
Am I right?
Reply 16
Okay Thank you soo much for your help. really appreciate it.
Reply 17
Sorry this took so long - I had to upload them from my iPod and it was all a bit of a confusing mess :biggrin:
I'm going to do it in parts as they are a really large file size so you can read them.
So this is question 2, and then I'll do the others :smile:
Reply 18
Question 4:

(sorry if any of these are in the wrong order btw)

Quick Reply