The Student Room Group

Epidemiology question - struggle

Hi all,

I have an epidemiology-related question that I need to figure out how to solve:

"Mean incidence of influenza in UK in week 45 in 2009 was 14%. We may consider that the duration of influenza to be on the average 3 days. What was the mean prevalence of influenza during that week?"

Thanks
Original post by TrondheimGeek
Hi all,

I have an epidemiology-related question that I need to figure out how to solve:

"Mean incidence of influenza in UK in week 45 in 2009 was 14%. We may consider that the duration of influenza to be on the average 3 days. What was the mean prevalence of influenza during that week?"

Thanks

Do you know what the difference between prevalence and incidence is?
Yes I do :smile:
Yes I do :smile:

So we know 14% of the population get the flu during the week - they'll usually have the flu for 3 days - and we can assume you're just as likely to get the flu no matter what day of the week it is. So it's basically a 14% total for the week, but we want to figure out how many people will have it at one snapshot of time - during a 3 day period. Can you figure out how to go from 14% to that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How about; divide 14% by 7 to get %/day and multiply by 3 to get for a 3-day period?
How about; divide 14% by 7 to get %/day and multiply by 3 to get for a 3-day period?

That's what I'd do! But I went the more convoluted way of dividing by 2.333333 (7/3 :P)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending