The Student Room Group

Question about A*s

I know that you need to get 90%+ to get an A*, but do you need to get 90%+ in every single exam for a subject for an A*, or do you just need an A* overall?

It's just I got 100% in my English coursework, so I'm wondering if I need to get 90%+ in my exam too for an A* or whether I can get by with a lower figure.

Thanks!
Average of 90% across A2 modules, if you get 80%, you'll get an A*.
To get an A* in most A-Levels, you need a 90% average from your A2 modules and an A grade at AS-Level. Now in some subjects, it's different. For example, in OCR A-Level Maths, you need a 90% average from C3 and C4, only two of three A2 modules you have to do. So you can mess up the other A2 module for that qualification and still get an A*. That's an exception, and there are probably more as well - normally A* is 90% average across the A2 modules
Reply 3
Original post by MagicJigsaw
I know that you need to get 90%+ to get an A*, but do you need to get 90%+ in every single exam for a subject for an A*, or do you just need an A* overall?

It's just I got 100% in my English coursework, so I'm wondering if I need to get 90%+ in my exam too for an A* or whether I can get by with a lower figure

It is an average of 90% across the A2 units, though it can be more helpful to think of it as at least 180/200UMS from the units. As, in english, the coursework is worth 40% and the exam 60%, your 100% in coursework cannot be balanced by 80% in the exam as they are not the same size. If your 80/80 in the coursework withstands moderation, you need only get 100/120 in the exam for an A*.
Reply 4
Original post by MagicJigsaw

It's just I got 100% in my English coursework, so I'm wondering if I need to get 90%+ in my exam too for an A* or whether I can get by with a lower figure.

Thanks!

A lot of the explanations posted above are not clear enough.
You basically need 270/300 UMS across your best 3 A2 modules (could include applied modules or pure).
For example you could get 89, 89, 92 in S2, M2, and D2 respectively and this will be sufficient. It does not necessarily have to include FP2 or FP3.

And then your overall UMS for further maths has to be at least 480/600.

For example if your AS UMS was only 150/300 and then you get 270/300 in your A2 modules, you will not get an A* since your overall UMS (420/600) is 60 shy of 480.
Reply 5
Original post by kprime2
A lot of the explanations posted above are not clear enough.
You basically need 270/300 UMS across your best 3 A2 modules (could include applied modules or pure).
For example you could get 89, 89, 92 in S2, M2, and D2 respectively and this will be sufficient. It does not necessarily have to include FP2 or FP3.

And then your overall UMS for further maths has to be at least 480/600.

For example if your AS UMS was only 150/300 and then you get 270/300 in your A2 modules, you will not get an A* since your overall UMS (420/600) is 60 shy of 480.

?The OP was asking about English.
Reply 6
Original post by arjunsanyal
To get an A* in most A-Levels, you need a 90% average from your A2 modules and an A grade at AS-Level. Now in some subjects, it's different. For example, in OCR A-Level Maths, you need a 90% average from C3 and C4, only two of three A2 modules you have to do. So you can mess up the other A2 module for that qualification and still get an A*. That's an exception, and there are probably more as well - normally A* is 90% average across the A2 modules

You say "some subjects", is maths not the only exception to the general rule.
Reply 7
Original post by Trouty97
You say "some subjects", is maths not the only exception to the general rule.

The various flavours of Maths (Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths etc) are the only exceptions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
?The OP was asking about English.

Oh my god. I thought I was replying to a different thread, one asking about an A* in further maths.

I have like 10 tabs open haha so confusing. I do apologise
Reply 9
Original post by Compost
The various flavours of Maths (Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths etc) are the only exceptions.

They're not, the other two forms of maths are both the bog standard 27 across 3 A2 modules.
They're not, the other two forms of maths are both the bog standard 27 across 3 A2 modules.

They are across your best 3 A2 units as it is possible to do 4 (or even 5) within an A level.
Reply 11
Original post by Compost
They are across your best 3 A2 units as it is possible to do 4 (or even 5) within an A level.

Not for afm
Not for afm

Yes, for AFM, in fact it's hard to think of an AFM combination that doesn't include more than 3 A2 units.

The rules (at http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information/gce-maths-rules---guidance-for-centres) say:
For A level Additional Further Mathematics, A* will be awarded to candidates who have achieved a grade A overall (at least 480 of the 600 maximum uniform mark) and at least 270 of the 300 combined maximum uniform mark for their best three A2 units (whether pure or application units).
Reply 13
Original post by Compost
Yes, for AFM, in fact it's hard to think of an AFM combination that doesn't include more than 3 A2 units.

The rules (at http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information/gce-maths-rules---guidance-for-centres) say:
For A level Additional Further Mathematics, A* will be awarded to candidates who have achieved a grade A overall (at least 480 of the 600 maximum uniform mark) and at least 270 of the 300 combined maximum uniform mark for their best three A2 units (whether pure or application units).

Tbf though, all subjects have this system in place, its just that maths is the only one where it can actually be implemented. For instance, if there is an option topic within a module and you took one one year and another the next, the better score would be chosen. Maths just have enough spare modules that you actually have a choice.

Quick Reply

Latest