The Student Room Group

OCR Electronics A2 F614 and F615 9th & 16th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I do Electronics on the AQA board (can't find any help for AQA electronics) so I was wondering if somebody could help me on here. In an Electronics 4 paper it asks a question about a RAM storage device which has address line A0-A15 (so 16 lines). And the question asks you to work out the number of BYTES of storage. So i thought it would be 2^16 (to get number of bits), and then divide by 8 to make it into bytes (As 8 bits in a Byte) However the answer is just 2^16 = 65536
Would appreciate some help :smile:
(This is the paper for reference. Question 4)a))
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-ELEC4-QP-JUN12.PDF
Original post by shiftclick96
Hi, I do Electronics on the AQA board (can't find any help for AQA electronics) so I was wondering if somebody could help me on here. In an Electronics 4 paper it asks a question about a RAM storage device which has address line A0-A15 (so 16 lines). And the question asks you to work out the number of BYTES of storage. So i thought it would be 2^16 (to get number of bits), and then divide by 8 to make it into bytes (As 8 bits in a Byte) However the answer is just 2^16 = 65536
Would appreciate some help :smile:
(This is the paper for reference. Question 4)a))
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-ELEC4-QP-JUN12.PDF

The question is worded very oddly, but I believe they refer a storage location as just to store bytes of data. So they expect you to just calculate the number of storage that can do such. If you get that?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Hey has anyone got the June 2014 Control and Comms papers? :biggrin:
Ahh, I kind of understand that, just hate that they dont work questions properly. Luckily nothing like this came up today, the exam went well! I appreciate the help, ty.
Reply 24
What did people think of the exam today? I thought it was nice, they asked a few questions that have come up in previous years!
Reply 25
Nothing wrong with that paper! Short and sweet. Hopefully I didn't make any silly mistakes...
It was pretty easy. Better than last years paper, that's for sure.
Reply 27
8472 it's funny you say you go to Farnborough because I go to Alton :biggrin: Thanks for the revision resources, ours aren't great!
Reply 28
How's everyone feeling about comms?
Reply 29
Original post by blackers
8472 it's funny you say you go to Farnborough because I go to Alton :biggrin: Thanks for the revision resources, ours aren't great!

Hmm. Do you know someone called Ian D? :beard:
(He use to go to calthorpe park school, blonde'ish hair)

And no problem. :h:
Reply 30
Gotta love Ian. We're going to Amsterdam with some people this summer!
Reply 31
Ahh god comms is going to kill me, the control systems paper is always pretty easy, but there is a lot of stuff to learn for the comms paper. I don't even have the A2 textbook because it's out of print :/
Reply 32
Original post by Harjot
Ahh god comms is going to kill me, the control systems paper is always pretty easy, but there is a lot of stuff to learn for the comms paper. I don't even have the A2 textbook because it's out of print :/

If you'd like the online version just let me know. I'll send you it. :h:

Or any other resources. Booklets, videos? :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by Harjot

Comms is the worst :frown: Will be a huge drag on my grade I think
Reply 34
I struggled and messed up the previous one last week... Ugh... a lot of people actually saying that the communication system is tougher which makes me a bit nervous. :frown:
Reply 35
Original post by lnux
I struggled and messed up the previous one last week... Ugh... a lot of people actually saying that the communication system is tougher which makes me a bit nervous. :frown:

Don't worry the grade boundaries are generally lower for comms! The guy who writes the book also writes the comms paper and i'v seen questions based on book questions and parts of the book!
Original post by Rob-96

Amen.
Reply 37
Original post by 8472
If you'd like the online version just let me know. I'll send you it. :h:

Or any other resources. Booklets, videos? :smile:

I'll take anything I can get :smile: I've got the revision resources you posted on the 1st page, and I would appreciate the book.

Thanks

Original post by Rob-96

Yes, I didn't realise how much was in the spec for this paper until I started revising on Friday lool. I'll be pretty annoyed if I don't get the A* because of this paper, since I put so much work into the project etc
Reply 38
Original post by Harjot
I'll take anything I can get :smile: I've got the revision resources you posted on the 1st page, and I would appreciate the book.

Thanks

PM'd you with online textbook details. :h:

Do you have the booklets/notes? :beard:
Reply 39
Original post by 8472
PM'd you with online textbook details. :h:

Do you have the booklets/notes? :beard:

What is it a PDF?

Can I also have a copy or borrow your details if you don't mind?

You seem to have all the resources needed... :smile: We also had the online textbook last year for free, though they now started to charge for it and we no longer have access to it. :frown:

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Latest