The Student Room Group

Urgent! Is this AQA Core Science Revision good?

Hi so okay I'm preparing really hard for my core science exams especially biology as that's next Friday first.

I've got absolutely mad with revision guides and workbooks purchasing and spend lots but it's all worth it in the end I guess.

So I purchased 5 difference AQA revision guides. All different brands just 2 are cgp but one is more brief and one is REALLY detailed.

Then I've purchased a pack of AQA exam style questions pack with questions papers in there and I've printed out all the higher past papers since 2012 and onwards so that's 4 exam papers.

I've also purchased 2 difference work books with 2 of the guides that's pearson and AQA workbook with practice exam questions.

I'm doing a of reading and revising and also watching videos/podcasts. Taking quizzes and mini tests on various apps and bitesize.

I'm also going to start note making over the weekend for things I need to learn more and I don't get and I might be getting a tutor to tutor me on cloning and few other hard topics I don't get.

Is that good?

I'm just really really nervous and want to make sure that I'm well prepared and ready for this exam.

I love biology and want to do well. Right now that's my main focus.

Chemistry and physics have rather shorter topics.

Is my revision good and do uou think that reading out of so many difference revision guides/text full pages I will understand as it's all written in different styles so I'm hound to understand at least one right'!
Basically I'll read till I get it!

Opinions please?
Original post by Pinkpearl14
Hi so okay I'm preparing really hard for my core science exams especially biology as that's next Friday first.

I've got absolutely mad with revision guides and workbooks purchasing and spend lots but it's all worth it in the end I guess.

So I purchased 5 difference AQA revision guides. All different brands just 2 are cgp but one is more brief and one is REALLY detailed.

Then I've purchased a pack of AQA exam style questions pack with questions papers in there and I've printed out all the higher past papers since 2012 and onwards so that's 4 exam papers.

I've also purchased 2 difference work books with 2 of the guides that's pearson and AQA workbook with practice exam questions.

I'm doing a of reading and revising and also watching videos/podcasts. Taking quizzes and mini tests on various apps and bitesize.

I'm also going to start note making over the weekend for things I need to learn more and I don't get and I might be getting a tutor to tutor me on cloning and few other hard topics I don't get.

Is that good?

I'm just really really nervous and want to make sure that I'm well prepared and ready for this exam.

Is my revision good and do uou think that reading out of so many difference revision guides/text full pages I will understand as it's all written in different styles so I'm hound to understand at least one right'!

Opinions please?

I hope you're kidding that amount of revision is ridiculous and unnecessary

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ScienceFantatic
I hope you're kidding that amount of revision is ridiculous and unnecessary

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I'm not kidding. I AM serious.

It's tough but I'm going to cram it all up and stay up all nights if I need to.

Why do you feel this way ? Then give me some advice please how can I make it more better?

Is that good?

Opinions please?

I was the same in you as in I bought all the revision guides I could find last year (doing seperate science but did core last year) including the CGP ones and the AQA ones and being honest I didn't really use most of them...
My revision consisted of making my own notes from the actual textbooks as this really helped me to relearn any topics I couldnt fully remember being taught and to remember all the other topics. I'd then do questions after each topic from either bitesize or our teachers gave us A LOT of question booklets so I'd do some of them to make sure I understood them fully. I'd then use my notes and the question papers to make flashcards and got my parents/friends to test me and even testing my friends helped get them into my head. So I only really used the AQA revision guide for its questions and sometimes to help me make notes on HSW pages to make sure I'd noted all relevant information (those pages can get boring!) and then I used the CGP book as welol as my flashcards on the morning of the exam and standing outside the exam hall for last minute revision.
I find that just reading doesn't help me and I have to actually write things down for them to get into my head - so Id focus more on doing questions/ making notes then just sitting there reading all these revision guides as this involves you actually thinking about the information and processing it fully.
I did get an A* so this technique was successful for me
(edited 8 years ago)

Why do you feel this way ? Then give me some advice please how can I make it more better?

DO NOT stay up all night... Seriously! I Know you've heard it all before but you'll do a 1000 times better having slept well at least the night before the exam than if you've only had a few hours sleep. The amount of times I've sat in the exam room with a banging head and not been able to think! Trust me... Sleep!
(edited 8 years ago)
Remember to rest as well as working, your brain needs time to process the information, don't stay awake all night trust me it will do more damage than good :smile:
Anyonewant to revise through the phone with me , need help :frown: , those doing the gcse aqa core science exam. Pm me

If I'm honest, if you attempt to cram everything into your head, you'll end up forgetting it. Revision shouldn't be about forcing content into your head. If you would like some advice, revise is 40 minute blocks, that helps content go into my head. Whilst I use a combination of completing past papers, posters and worksheets.

If you attempt to just cram all of the content into your head, you'll end up forgetting it as you're not really absorbing any of it.

So yes, my advice to you is to revise it in chunks of 40 minutes, then have a 5-10 minute break, then back to revision. I feel this is the best way forward and has helped me revise content throughout the exams I've sat so far.

If you have any other questions, feel free to give me a private message, I've also got an excellent revision source for B1 AQA biology if you would like it!

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

You can get an A* with less effort lol.. All you need is one CGP guide and bitesize questions are useless... Use past papers. Also If you're just cramming now buying all those books and investing in a tutor for topics that could be learnt in 2 mins is a waste. What I like to do is make questions based on my notes and answer them.It's been working so far. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
good luck
Reply 10
Seems a bit too much for core science imo, but I would recommend completing workbooks and past papers as questions often repeat themselves, especially on last years core science papers. Good Luck

Quick Reply

Latest