The Student Room Group

Joking about marriage?

The guy I'm seeing has joked about us getting married, on several occasions. Does this mean anything? When he's done it I've got the impression he's not been entirely joking, and last time he did it I got weirded out... He's also asked me if I'd marry him but we were really drunk at the time
i think he's really considered marrying you...

you can joke about it once or twice but any more than that sounds like he wants a future with you
I don't know, depends on him. I've joked about marriage with people who I've had no intention of getting into a serious relationship with, but he's with you so it might be different.
Reply 3
Original post by Protégé
I don't know, depends on him. I've joked about marriage with people who I've had no intention of getting into a serious relationship with, but he's with you so it might be different.

Were you sure they knew you were joking?
Original post by Anonymous
Were you sure they knew you were joking?

Pretty sure. I told one of them that I was only sexually attracted to her and didn't have any feelings for her so no problems there.
Reply 5
Original post by scriberg
i think he's really considered marrying you...

you can joke about it once or twice but any more than that sounds like he wants a future with you

He's also said he wants to live with me, which had a jokingness to it but I interpreted as not entirely a joke. But we aren't even in an official relationship... So maybe he's being a player idk
Reply 6
Original post by Protégé
Pretty sure. I told one of them that I was only sexually attracted to her and didn't have any feelings for her so no problems there.

Well this guy said to me earlier this month that he doesn't want a serious relationship, but there's something about how he talks/the things he talks about sometimes that makes me think he wants more. I don't want to marry him lol (and have mixed feelings abt the idea of being in a serious relationship w him) but I would like to figure out how he feels since he doesn't seem to like being direct. I mean, he's said he loves me before, but that was ages ago.
Original post by Anonymous
He's also said he wants to live with me, which had a jokingness to it but I interpreted as not entirely a joke. But we aren't even in an official relationship... So maybe he's being a player idk

idk what advice to give you :P

why would a 'player' joke about a lifelong commitment...

either he really likes you and he's nervous about having a long-term relationship, or he thinks you're not really into him so he's using marriage as an excuse to be in an official relationship
Reply 8
Original post by scriberg
idk what advice to give you :P

why would a 'player' joke about a lifelong commitment...

either he really likes you and he's nervous about having a long-term relationship, or he thinks you're not really into him so he's using marriage as an excuse to be in an official relationship

But he said to me earlier this month (bearing in mind we've been involved for like 10 months) that he's always wanted to say that he doesnt want a serious relationship/engagement/marriage.
Reply 9
How should I respond if he jokes about it again? Last time I was like 'lol' and he was like, 'it's a good plan, admit it :wink:' and I responded with 'hmmmmm' then ignored his goodnight to convey that he'd weirded me out... Not sure if that worked though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending