The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How can you have white privilege if there are white homeless people?

Scroll to see replies

Its quite noticeable that the majority of homeless people in our town centres are white with English accents. Also even more noticeable how you never see a BME dipping in to their pocket for them, not even tuppence.
Original post by princepaul24353
This is stupid as me pointing to Stevie Wonder and saying "Look he's rich. There are no problem being blind !!"

The fact that Richard Branson is a multi millionaire but never went to uni, does not disprove the fact that ppl who go to uni. earn more than those who don't

So, in the case of white homeless, the proper test of their racial privilege would be to compare them with the black homeless and to then ask, do whites have an advantage ?

That the white homeless are the ones u instantly think of when u think of poverty, and the ones for whom u then express such great sympathy, seems to indicate a very substantial kind of privileging.

If you argue that white privilege does not exist, then you must also think racism does not exist. You can't have an up without a down

Secondly since when has racism been just about the wallet ?

These benefits of white privilege can be material (such as greater opportunity in the labor market, or greater net worth, due to a history in which whites had the ability to accumulate wealth to a greater extent than persons of colour)

But the benefits to white privilege can b social (such as presumptions of competence, creditworthiness, law-abidingness, intelligence)

or they can psychological (such as not having to worry about triggering negative stereotypes, rarely having to feel out of place, not having to worry about racial profiling).

The fact that white privilege exists and that all whites have access to various aspects of it, does not, however, mean that all whites are wealthy, or that in competitions for jobs and other opportunities, whites will always win.

Why do you have so many different accounts?
because white people have more opportunities. the fact some of them are homeless means little.
Reply 83
They're not homeless BECAUSE they're white. That's like saying "How can someone believe that racism exists if there are black CEOS? " or "How can racism exist if I know a white man who fell in love with a black woman?" Just because one person isn't exactly privileged in ONE SENSE, i.e. in the case of homeless people, they're not privileged in terms of wealth, they still benefit from being white. For example, many white people generalise that black people are more likely to mug someone. So say a racist, white, non-homeless person, who holds this belief, walks by two homeless people. One of the homeless people is black and the other is white. Because of the racist prejudice they believe, the non homeless white person is more likely to be afraid of the black person than the white person. Here is where the white privilege lies. Even though most white people may not believe in this stereotype, ALL white people benefit from it.

TL;DR Basically, just because you don't benefit from one thing (homeless people don't have the same benefit non-homeless people do) doesn't mean you can't benefit from something else.
Original post by Lady Comstock
Generalisations don't cut it for me.

The fact that you can have numerous white homeless people/white people on the poverty line and very rich, respected ethnic minorities suggests that the concept of white privilege is spurious, or at least founded upon a massive generalisation.

True at the end of the day the only colour that really matters in the world is green

if you are White have 0.00 in you're bank account well you are dirt poor and starving.
Original post by GnomeMage
White homeless people gets more sympathy than other homeless people. Thats white privilege.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do they now why is it i see so many white people with not a pot to piss in and begging for money, and their own white people the majority of them don't care or give them the time of the day.

Try being white and having nothing it's the same for a non-white person
Reply 86
Original post by GnomeMage
White homeless people gets more sympathy than other homeless people. Thats white privilege.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I disagree. You don't see many minority homeless as they often get housed first due to having children.

What's not been said yet is the vast majority are also male... Funny how those with white male privilege are the most likely to be homeless and commit suicide. We can all have struggles and adversities in life regardless of skin we are all experiencing the human condition and you people obsessed with white male privilege are whiners and take no action to empower yourself as you are satiated already from waving the race card around.
Actually, I am a white woman who is struggling to make a living, I have been turned down by the universities because I was told my I needed this qualification and that qualify for this course I was applying for. Already have the qualifications that is need ed for the course I felt that i was being messed about. This has not just happened to me, it has happened to other white people I know. White people are changing for the better, most of use have children outside of our race. White peopleare now the poorestin this country, so this is a racial attack on white people. Their are lot more white people homeless living on the street. We just all need to help each other.

Latest

Trending

Trending