The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry Unit 1 Exam (9th June) [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Scroll to see replies

i got an A in my coursework, and i think i will get B,C,C in my exams, what grade will i get overall roughly?
Original post by annasweeneyx
i got an A in my coursework, and i think i will get B,C,C in my exams, what grade will i get overall roughly?

Probably a B? :smile: Depends on how high you're C's and A is
Any predictions for 6 markers, dominant topics etc?
Original post by brozza981
Right, I've been digging around online and this is what I've come up with:
Atomic Structure -> always on
Burning fossil fuels acid rain corrosion etc
Balancing equations
Structure of the earth (easy for people who have done geography :smile:) and continental drift evidence Hydration
Limestone in general lol

Possible 6 Markers:
Ethanol production
Early atmosphere
Building materials (limestone, cement etc)

And don't forget to look over 2012's paper! AQA this year have almost duplicated the paper from three years ago for each exam of theirs I've taken.

Oh sorry just seen this haha
Original post by CloudPotter98

Let's not make predictions as there's no trend to speak of.
Reply 65
Original post by runningcat
watch Finding Nemo

Lmao:ahee:
Reply 66

Most likely:
- evaluating advantages and disadvantages of limestone
- process of fractional distillation
- early earth atmosphere compared to now
Hope this helped.
Original post by Adam998
Most likely:
- evaluating advantages and disadvantages of limestone
- process of fractional distillation
- early earth atmosphere compared to now
Hope this helped.

Yeah I'm thinking these as well :biggrin: thanks!
Reply 68
Any1 not started revision yet lmao????? :cool:
Reply 69
Original post by annasweeneyx
what are the disadvantages of displacement reactions?

Message me and I'll explain?
Original post by saahil0987
Guys can you please stop arguing about petitions for 2 reasons:

1. It won't work exam boards aren't going to listen to 15/ 16 year olds complaining about the difficulty of the exam - they know how hard the exams were and everyone will get the grade they deserve for how much they were able to apply their knowledge to the questions. Which to be fair weren't "disastrously" difficult they were hard alright but to make a petition is just ridiculous
2. This is a thread for CHEMISTRY and if you want to spread your petition you're gonna have to do it elsewhere cause I don't support it and I don't want you to ruin the chemistry revision here

I'll still be emailing them about questions which some students found unfair.
Probably a B? :smile: Depends on how high you're C's and A is

ahh i hope so! thank you:smile:
Reply 72
Yeah I'm thinking these as well :biggrin: thanks!

No problem:smile:
Original post by Adam998

will do! thank you:smile:
Reply 74
I'd also like to make a point emailing, complaining petitions or whatever you decide to do is not going to effect the way they set the mark scheme. There are going to be questions you find hard, that's how it works, and the exam board will always ensure the correct proportion of each grade is correctly awarded.
Original post by Adam998

Could you explain in this chat please? x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah no matter what I can't seem to retain any info on chemistry, probably will have to spend the whole day tomorrow revising it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Adam998
I'd also like to make a point emailing, complaining petitions or whatever you decide to do is not going to effect the way they set the mark scheme. There are going to be questions you find hard, that's how it works, and the exam board will always ensure the correct proportion of each grade is correctly awarded.

No, I'm not emailing them just because it was hard, I'm just going to contact them over a question or two which required B2 knowledge, which seemed to discriminate against those who are only taking Unit 1 this year.
Reply 78
Original post by hael468
Could you explain in this chat please? x

Posted from TSR Mobile

so electrolysis is used for extraction of very reactive metals, where as less reactive metals lower than carbon, are extracted using reduction. It is important to know any metal that is more reactive than carbon cannot be extracted by carbon, if you want to know the reactivity order check the reactivity sheet you get in the exam. Displacement reactions involve 'kicking out' the lesser reactive metal from a solution of 2 metals. This is helpful because it is much cheaper. Hope this helped.
6 marker likely to be on either atomic structure or fractional distillation. It's a classic.

Skips :smile:

Quick Reply