The Student Room Group

What to do in my gap year?...

I have decided pretty late in the year to go to University next year, so that I can do a course to do with animal conservation next year.
I can't afford to travel next year all year, but maybe I could afford a little trip. I think I should do GCSE Spanish because I feel it would be helpful to have a language, but they all seem really expensive to do. I will also volunteer at froglife, but I can't get to a zoo by car, and there's not one right near me. Any ideas of what to do?
Reply 1
Work in any job, save up some money that will make you a happier student. Puts a bit of anything on your CV which never hurts, will make it easier for you to get a job whilst a student, will fund at least a holiday this year, will fund a Spanish course if you want.

At the same time volunteer as much as possible in anything relevant. If you need more ideas look on do-it.org or look up your local volunteer centre
Try to find a job or volunteer. Work experience is great. :smile: If you earn some money from doing so, take a break and travel a bit if you can as well.
Bristol Zoo runs two different placement/work experience schemes : http://www.bristolzoo.org.uk/zoo-information/jobs/veterinary-externship-application

A City Farm-Zoo also in Bristol does similar : http://www.noahsarkzoofarm.co.uk/pages/about-us/jobs/work-experience.php

If you just google 'work experience' or 'volunteer' and 'animals' and the name of your local town/city/area you will find LOTS of opportunities. You really dont need to go overseas to do this and most Unis will value UK experience far more than an organised 'Gap Year' which is often not much more that a glorified holiday overseas.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by adventuretime<3
I have decided pretty late in the year to go to University next year, so that I can do a course to do with animal conservation next year.
I can't afford to travel next year all year, but maybe I could afford a little trip. I think I should do GCSE Spanish because I feel it would be helpful to have a language, but they all seem really expensive to do. I will also volunteer at froglife, but I can't get to a zoo by car, and there's not one right near me. Any ideas of what to do?

Why don't you look for some sort of gap year programme or activity in spain and then you can learn the language at the same time?
And if it's some sort of work based programme it will fund the travelling etc.
Or you could just get a job at home work for the first few months then go travelling on the money you earned
I wouldn't worry so much about the spanish course as most universities offer language courses you can do there at a subsidised rate so if you're worried about money, you can always hang on a year.
Original post by adventuretime<3

I really recommend taking a gap year if you can between studies. I did it and quite honestly I have to say, it is one of the best things I have done. I managed to find relevant work experience in my area of my course I was planning to go to the following September - therefore earning money, meeting new people and working on real life projects.

If you are seriously thinking about taking a gap year though, try and do something which will be relevant to you - for example to the industry you want to work in or uni course you want to apply for the next year. It might even help you to get on a university course that previously declined you - like it did for me! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest