The Student Room Group

Will my maths GCSE grade out me at a disadvantage?

Hello,
I have a B grade in maths at GCSE level and I know this is the minimum requirement at some vet schools. I'm wondering if, because I have the minimum, will it be enough?
I have A*s in my sciences.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by Scarlett Neary
Hello,
I have a B grade in maths at GCSE level and I know this is the minimum requirement at some vet schools. I'm wondering if, because I have the minimum, will it be enough? I have A*s in my sciences. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to retake GCSE Maths to get a A as most Unis require this for Vet. You can do this alongside A levels.

Without an A grade your application wont get through the first checks - Vet is so competitive that Unis dont need to be 'kind' to anyone without the required grades so you will be automatically rejected on this alone. Vets need high level maths skills - and the type of brain that can do maths - which is why the majority of Unis insist on it.

Talk to your school - its usually fairly simple to be re-entered for the exam, and you can usually do the revision etc yourself.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello,
I have a B grade in maths at GCSE level and I know this is the minimum requirement at some vet schools. I'm wondering if, because I have the minimum, will it be enough?

With the exception of Bristol, a B in GCSE Maths is perfectly acceptable and you certainly do not "need" to resit unless you had your heart set on going to Bristol. Of course, achieving the minimum is by no means a guarantee to getting an interview or offer, but neither is it the lost cause that many people seem to believe. Generally, the more A/A*s the stronger the application, but universities look at the whole picture so as long as you have a good spread of varied work experience and strong extra curricular activities you have as much chance as anyone else.

(I know from experience - I had a B and got 2 offers, don't let anyone tell you you can't do it!)
Hello,

Having a B won't put you at a disadvantage at all. Most of the vet schools ask for maths at grade B or above, so anyone who tells you different is wrong! As long as you have the 5 A's in other areas you'll be fine!

(I also have a B in maths, and I'm a first year vet student)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending