The Student Room Group

Please Help! AQA past paper S1B

Please help!
I am on January 2011 paper, and stuck on question 4.
Please Please help me! Help me how to do it and work out too.
Thank you!!
Original post by CTinTin14
Please help!
I am on January 2011 paper, and stuck on question 4.
Please Please help me! Help me how to do it and work out too.
Thank you!!

It has a few parts - are there any in particular that you are stuck on?

Think about what distribution you can use, what it's parameter(s) are and how you can express the inequalities carefully.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
It has a few parts - are there any in particular that you are stuck on?

Think about what distribution you can use, what it's parameter(s) are and how you can express the inequalities carefully.

I am stuck on all of them
I am stuck on all of them

Okey dokey, we'll figure this out :smile:

From the information in the question what do you think the distribution of how many targets he hits is?
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
Okey dokey, we'll figure this out :smile:

From the information in the question what do you think the distribution of how many targets he hits is?

says: at most 5 targets
says: at most 5 targets

Yes, that's part a) of the question, but it may help to figure out what your starting point is for answering that question.

Can you think of the different distributions that you've learned in S1? (I'm not sure which ones AQA covers but some examples of distributions are Poisson, Binomial, Normal, Exponential).

Think of those, and think of which one suits the question (you'll probably see a list of conditions for each distribution you've come across), and then think of the parameters of the distribution (eg if it was Normal, then you'd need the mean and variance - but it's not and you don't need these things).
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM
Yes, that's part a) of the question, but it may help to figure out what your starting point is for answering that question.

Can you think of the different distributions that you've learned in S1? (I'm not sure which ones AQA covers but some examples of distributions are Poisson, Binomial, Normal, Exponential).

Think of those, and think of which one suits the question (you'll probably see a list of conditions for each distribution you've come across), and then think of the parameters of the distribution (eg if it was Normal, then you'd need the mean and variance - but it's not and you don't need these things).

Binomial Distribution
Binomial Distribution

Well done :smile: that's correct.

So what are the parameters? (the values of n and p).

So how will you find the probability of him hitting 'at most 5 targets'? How can this be written as an inequality for you to be able to read it off the tables?
Reply 8
Original post by SeanFM
Well done :smile: that's correct.

So what are the parameters? (the values of n and p).

So how will you find the probability of him hitting 'at most 5 targets'? How can this be written as an inequality for you to be able to read it off the tables?

(15,0.45)

i) 0.2608
ii)0.025
iii) 0.4522-0.2608=0.1914

How do you do iv? :frown:
(15,0.45)

i) 0.2608
ii)0.025
iii) 0.4522-0.2608=0.1914

How do you do iv? :frown:

I'll assume you've done them correctly, so you know how to write the inequalties correctly.

How do you write at least 5 and at most 10 as an inequality? Hence how do you find the probability?
Reply 10
Original post by SeanFM
I'll assume you've done them correctly, so you know how to write the inequalties correctly.

How do you write at least 5 and at most 10 as an inequality? Hence how do you find the probability?

P(5<R<10) similar right? but i don't know what to do next
P(5<R<10) similar right? but i don't know what to do next

Yes, assuming the < signs are the 'less than/greater than or equal to signs.'

So you could easily read off P(X≤10), but that would leave you with the bits below 5 added on when you don't want them. So what needs to be taken away from P(X≤10) to only have the things that are greater than or equal to 5?
Reply 12
Original post by SeanFM
Yes, assuming the < signs are the 'less than/greater than or equal to signs.'

So you could easily read off P(X≤10), but that would leave you with the bits below 5 added on when you don't want them. So what needs to be taken away from P(X≤10) to only have the things that are greater than or equal to 5?

0.2608 and 0.9745

so you do 0.9745-0.2608=0.8541 :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
0.2608 and 0.9745

so you do 0.9745-0.2608=0.8541 :biggrin:

Almost :smile:

It would help if you wrote down all of your working before plugging in the numbers.

You've done P(X≤10) - P(X≤5), which takes away the probability of anything being 5 or less, which is almost right, but we want to keep the things that are =5 because it says at least 5.

So knowing that, for what value of k do you take away P(X≤k) from P(X≤10) to get P(5≤X≤10)? What values don't you want from the range 0 to 10?
Reply 14
Original post by SeanFM
Almost :smile:

It would help if you wrote down all of your working before plugging in the numbers.

You've done P(X≤10) - P(X≤5), which takes away the probability of anything being 5 or less, which is almost right, but we want to keep the things that are =5 because it says at least 5.

So knowing that, for what value of k do you take away P(X≤k) from P(X≤10) to get P(5≤X≤10)? What values don't you want from the range 0 to 10?

so is it 0.853 to 0.855?
so is it 0.853 to 0.855?

Yes. Though I noticed that your previous calculation doesn't equal what it's supposed to.

Looking at the mark scheme the method I was hinting at is there. P(X≤10) - P(X≤4) (as you have the probability of things beings 10 or less, and if you take away the probability of things being 4 or less you are left with the probability of things that are between 5 and 10 (including 5 and 10). So, reading from the tables,
P(X≤10) is 0.9745 and P(X≤4) is 0.1204, so you do as they've done to get something between 0.853 and 0.855. If you don't understand this method let me know. I am happy to explain things again and/or slowly.

I do not understand the values after 'or' though.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest