The Student Room Group

What is the difference between visa and barclaycard? Why do visa, MasterCard, mastero

What is the difference between visa and barclaycard? Why do visa, MasterCard, mastero etc exist? For example why does it say visa on a barclaycard, can barclaycard do visa's job themselves (whatever they might do maybe someone can explain)? Also I heard that for some events supported by visa you can only buy tickets with cards supported by Visa, I think this happened with the Olympics or World Cup?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by hsv
What is the difference between visa and barclaycard? Why do visa, MasterCard, mastero etc exist? For example why does it say visa on a barclaycard, can barclaycard do visa's job themselves (whatever they might do maybe someone can explain)? Also I heard that for some events supported by visa you can only buy tickets with cards supported by Visa, I think this happened with the Olympics or World Cup?

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Inc.

Visa provide the card and its systems for payments.
Barclays offer you credit from themselves.

Ones a bank, the others a service provider for Barclays and yourself.
Visa/Mastercard provide the service of processing money payments and such they're not lenders or merchants unlike AMEX or JCB for example.
Barclaycard is a branding nothing more they could never compete with the others and theres no point in trying theyre far to small.
As for the others mentiones like Maestro they were subdivisions of the big two which have been or are being wound down.
Reply 3
So barclaycard for example couldn't go into the card processing business and try and monopolise the whole system by vertical integration (like how us Steel made the steel and owned the railways that transported the steel they made to avoid paying train companies?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending