The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

PPE? History?
By employers - none. No one outside of the graduate sector cares at all, in fact it's off putting for them if you have a degree. Within the grad sector they don't necessarily 'respect' the degree at all - the top recruiters who take ''any 2.1'' care more about the institution than the degree subject (which I think is ridiculous and not because I'm bitter - I went to an RG). So if you do an arts degree, I wouldn't bother worrying about the 'respect' that it will garner. The only respect you'll get from any degree is, as I say, from top recruiters who care only that it's a 2.1 from a top 20 or from your parents or some people who haven't been to university and automatically think anyone who's set foot in a uni is a genius. No one else cares. That's from experience.

But students who haven't been to uni seemingly respect PPE the most...for some unknown reason.
(edited 8 years ago)
PPE.

OP don't even think of doing humanities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No humanities degree is respected. The only thing that is respected is if you do every STEM degree possible and it HAS to be from Oxbridge otherwise what's the point in life?

Spoiler

Philosophy?
Eastern/Asian Studies

Classics

Languages

:confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AsandaLFC
PPE.

OP don't even think of doing humanities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have to,I'm in year 12 and chose all humanities based as levels.
Study theology and become a witch hunter.
That's my plan.
1432849154491.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by simbasdragon

with most uni's the subjects doesn't matter when applying for courses. Just try showing your passion through your personal statement and do extra curricular activity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
with most uni's the subjects doesn't matter when applying for courses. Just try showing your passion through your personal statement and do extra curricular activity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For what degrees? If it isn't humanities then it will have to be sciences or maths courses, all which require science or maths a level.
Depends on the field of work. Politics degrees are generally not well respected for example unless you want to go into a journalist/editorial career (like myself).
Which do you think is the most prestigious and respected by employers generally?

Classics
Languages
Economics

/thread
Original post by TheWaffle
Classics
Languages
Economics

/thread

How high would you consider international relations?
Law? :innocent:

You dont have to. U can do sciences next year instead of doing useless humanities and regretting for the rest of your life. Alternatively u can do law.

Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
That's my plan.
1432849154491.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Expecto patronum

Original post by r-t

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rubbish. OP is young and has no passion in life. He must do sciences next year. I wonder if his parents dont care about his school stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You dont have to. U can do sciences next year instead of doing useless humanities and regretting for the rest of your life. Alternatively u can do law.

Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
That's my plan.
1432849154491.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Expecto patronum

Original post by r-t

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rubbish. OP is young and has no passion in life. He must do sciences next year. I wonder if his parents dont care about his school stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How high would you consider international relations?

It depends massively on which uni the degree is from but that sort of degree is also prestigious, especially if you want to work for international companies/ charities. You would increase its value a lot by talking it with a language such as French or German- then you could work for the EU. :ahee:

(btw this is just my opinion from what I've gathered going to careers events at a Russel Group uni)
Original post by TheWaffle
It depends massively on which uni the degree is from but that sort of degree is also prestigious, especially if you want to work for international companies/ charities. You would increase its value a lot by talking it with a language such as French or German- then you could work for the EU. :ahee:

(btw this is just my opinion from what I've gathered going to careers events at a Russel Group uni)

So for example international relations with Russian at Bristol would be really prestigious?
Reply 19

Posted from TSR Mobile

OP is only a year younger than that of those applying to uni. Thousands of people pick degrees that aren't similar to the A-levels they're currently studying. That's the whole point of a PS so you can show your passion through it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest