The Student Room Group

Are there any white people who respect and are scared of their parents?

Scroll to see replies

I think my parents would murder me if I swore at them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by High Stakes
How moronic of you, jumping to insults because you can't debate maturely. Your point was emotion leads to unintended consequences, but now you're establishing a parameter that suits you.

Your argument was that swearing does not equate to disrespect. Which it does. Any simple minded buffoon such as yourself could run a Google search and find a definition of what it implies.

If you have no interest in responding, then don't reply. I wouldn't expect you to bring anything substantial to the table anyway (other than the odd 'idiot' or 'stupid' - but I guess that's your style, no?)

would rep, im out too
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Massive generalisation. I have Asian friends who are openly rude to their parents (which always annoys me) and I have white friends who always treat their parents with respect.. It's not just white people that can be rude to parents

Out of reps but I completely agree.
My parents are from Eastern Europe, where I was born and raise a little bit. There if I stepped out of line, I would get punched in the head!
Swearing or disrespecting my parents struck fear into me!

It was corrective parenting. Humans evolved by learning through pain. "Knife sharp, hurts hand, no touch end" is the same as "Calling mum a B*tch bad, punch in head, hurt, no do it again"
Reply 24
Original post by Anonymous
I'm Asian and I can never say "shut up" "piss off" or "**** you" to my parents because of the respect I have for them and if I did I would beaten the crap out of. However, whenever I go to my white friends hoyse they tell their parents "**** off" and all that and the parents just beg them or just leave them alone.

My question is are there any white people whi are proper scared of their parents like Asians and blacks are?

this

Original post by Hanya Pouncey
The thing is you don't need to fear your parents in order to have respect for them.

I'm white
My parents beat me.

I think most people aren't very smart.
they as the above said. confuse fear with respect.

strangely being hit by my parents didn't have the effect of making me respect them. I think i was a bit too smart for my own good. I just saw them as not being able to cope very well and lacking reasoning ability.

it did however teach me great lessons in violence. where I grew up was a rough place. I learned that if you shout and hit people you can manipulate them to do what you want and take things from them.

so if i said "go f*** yourself to my parents" and they beat me then if someone outside said "go **** yourself to me. I'd beat them" of course it was subjective to who you were being violent against. you have to guarantee that your going to win. as much of a guarantee that a grown adult has over a child in winning a fight. So if someones bigger you just get armed in someway or attack them from behind. Bravery gets forgotten. Fear always gets remembered. so gallantly fighting a fight thats not easily winnable is not really beneficial.

Hitting your kids and poverty go hand in hand.

thats why its mostly non white people who hit their kids.
poor education, bad neighborhoods, bad parenting generations back and coming from backward 3rd world nations.

every single study on the subject has shown it messes your kids up in some way. either socially or in terms of IQ.

also you have to remember in english speaking culture its quite common to have swearing as a sign of friendship and intimacy. for example you would say "ah john you old bastard how are you!". now if johns your friend thats acceptable because you know each other intimately enough to talk like that. but you wouldn't say it to the boss you've just met for your job interview.

plus i often see like colonial after burn in a lot immigrant cultures in the uk.

like the way parents act towards their kids reminds me of how the british raj or slave plantation owners would act to their servants or slaves. multiple jamaican friends of mine have experienced being tied to trees and then being whipped with a cane. if thats not a gift from slavery i don't know what is.
Original post by Mick.w
this

I'm white
My parents beat me.

I think most people aren't very smart.
they as the above said. confuse fear with respect.

strangely being hit by my parents didn't have the effect of making me respect them. I think i was a bit too smart for my own good. I just saw them as not being able to cope very well and lacking reasoning ability.

it did however teach me great lessons in violence. where I grew up was a rough place. I learned that if you shout and hit people you can manipulate them to do what you want and take things from them.

so if i said "go f*** yourself to my parents" and they beat me then if someone outside said "go **** yourself to me. I'd beat them" of course it was subjective to who you were being violent against. you have to guarantee that your going to win. as much of a guarantee that a grown adult has over a child in winning a fight. So if someones bigger you just get armed in someway or attack them from behind. Bravery gets forgotten. Fear always gets remembered. so gallantly fighting a fight thats not easily winnable is not really beneficial.

Hitting your kids and poverty go hand in hand.

thats why its mostly non white people who hit their kids.
poor education, bad neighborhoods, bad parenting generations back and coming from backward 3rd world nations.

every single study on the subject has shown it messes your kids up in some way. either socially or in terms of IQ.

also you have to remember in english speaking culture its quite common to have swearing as a sign of friendship and intimacy. for example you would say "ah john you old bastard how are you!". now if johns your friend thats acceptable because you know each other intimately enough to talk like that. but you wouldn't say it to the boss you've just met for your job interview.

plus i often see like colonial after burn in a lot immigrant cultures in the uk.

like the way parents act towards their kids reminds me of how the british raj or slave plantation owners would act to their servants or slaves. multiple jamaican friends of mine have experienced being tied to trees and then being whipped with a cane. if thats not a gift from slavery i don't know what is.

That's very true and something to consider.
Like sometimes I'll tell my mum to piss off and she'll call me a knob, it's in good spirit and not at all the same as yelling at someone you're angry at and calling them a **** for whatever reason.
Reply 26
Original post by Shellshocker93
My parents are from Eastern Europe, where I was born and raise a little bit. There if I stepped out of line, I would get punched in the head!
Swearing or disrespecting my parents struck fear into me!

It was corrective parenting. Humans evolved by learning through pain. "Knife sharp, hurts hand, no touch end" is the same as "Calling mum a B*tch bad, punch in head, hurt, no do it again"

effective training for a dog. or a human living in anarchy.

but you can't do that in a civilization.

"Knife sharp, hurts hand, no touch end"
"Calling mum a B*tch bad, punch in head, hurt, no do it again"
"failing grades bad, punch in the head, hurt, no do it again"
"food not on table before husband is home, punch in the head, hurt, no do it again"
"accidentally stepped on someones shoe, punched in head, hurt, no do it again"

so if you have someone getting beaten or beating someone to correct their behavior you have someone who is only really suited for prison. like your boss can't just kick your head in for not meeting your projected sales target.

that's why people who are struck as a child are more likely to end up in prison, beat their spouse, attack other people, and also develop sexually deviant practices that involve S&M.
this girl I was close with would be like "**** off mum you sket" and other things, she was awful to them but her and her mother had that banter, but her dad didn't and they would argue all the time, was very weird
Original post by Drewski
Respect is earned, not given blindly.

Why should your parents "earn" respect when they are the ones feeding and looking after you?

Parents are parents and don't need to "earn" your respect, it should be your responsibility.

I know someone( a white person) who was swearing at her dad over the phone.
Original post by Schrödingers Cat

So your mother gave birth to you? So what? It wasn't your choice for you to be born, you don't have a choice to who your mother is BUT your mother did have a choice to have you.

That's a very selfish and ignorant thing to say
Original post by German123
Why should your parents "earn" respect when they are the ones feeding and looking after you?

Parents are parents and don't need to "earn" your respect, it should be your responsibility.

You assumed every parent does that, or is not abusive.

Why should someone respect their parent if they beat them? Or what about sexual abuse? But they may feed and house them...so they deserve respect? No.

That is why it has to be clarified, not every parent deserves respect.
How moronic of you, jumping to insults because you can't debate maturely. Your point was emotion leads to unintended consequences, but now you're establishing a parameter that suits you.

Your argument was that swearing does not equate to disrespect. Which it does. Any simple minded buffoon such as yourself could run a Google search and find a definition of what it implies.

If you have no interest in responding, then don't reply. I wouldn't expect you to bring anything substantial to the table anyway (other than the odd 'idiot' or 'stupid' - but I guess that's your style, no?)

would rep :frown:
Original post by SophieSmall

Why should someone respect their parent if they beat them? Or what about sexual abuse? But they may feed and house them...so they deserve respect? No.

Fair enough but those who cater for their children certainly do

There's a huge difference between abuse and discipline. If you do the wrong thing, you get punished. that could be in the form of grounding, confiscation of our beloved phones, being sent to bed with no dinner, and being spanked. Parents discipline their children in different ways and yes, it may be influenced by their own upbringing and ethnic background. Bad behaviour is not rewarded. if you misbehave, you get punished and if your parents clothe you, feed you and take care of you...you respect them! That respect is earned by them taking care of you, so swearing at them is very disrespectful, whether you're angry or not.
Original post by cherryred90s
There's a huge difference between abuse and discipline. If you do the wrong thing, you get punished. that could be in the form of grounding, confiscation of our beloved phones, being sent to bed with no dinner, and being spanked. Parents discipline their children in different ways and yes, it may be influenced by their own upbringing and ethnic background. Bad behaviour is not rewarded. if you misbehave, you get punished and if your parents clothe you, feed you and take care of you...you respect them! That respect is earned by them taking care of you, so swearing at them is very disrespectful, whether you're angry or not.

I know that, I didn't say there wasn't.

100% agree
Fair enough but those who cater for their children certainly do

In most cases probably.
Original post by cherryred90s
100% agree

:smile:
In most cases probably.

:smile:
I know that, I didn't say there wasn't.

you said that not every parent deserves respect because 'beating' your child is abuse, that's not true

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending