The Student Room Group

Exceptional Circumstances - Bands?

Hi,

I'm eligible for exceptional circumstamces but can't find anything on the SQA website about bands. Basically, I've hopefully got an A2 in Higher Maths (checked solutions) but I really wanted a Band 1 A. Had thoughts about applying to Cambridge and they look at bands so I was really hoping for an A1 :frown: I feel like I really underperformed in the exam (close to 100% in prelim), but this was partly due to the death of a close family member a few days before. Does anyone know whether the SQA can change bands with the exceptional circumstances appeals? Thanks for any help :smile:
Cambridge don't generally ask for bands for your highers, assuming you just did 5th Year exams, generally after you've applied they'll give conditionals with bands on Advanced Highers afaik.
Is this thread taking the piss or?
Reply 3
Original post by Astrobiology
Hi,

I'm eligible for exceptional circumstamces but can't find anything on the SQA website about bands. Basically, I've hopefully got an A2 in Higher Maths (checked solutions) but I really wanted a Band 1 A. Had thoughts about applying to Cambridge and they look at bands so I was really hoping for an A1 :frown: I feel like I really underperformed in the exam (close to 100% in prelim), but this was partly due to the death of a close family member a few days before. Does anyone know whether the SQA can change bands with the exceptional circumstances appeals? Thanks for any help :smile:

They might be able to. Give it a try.
Original post by Falconer9
Cambridge don't generally ask for bands for your highers, assuming you just did 5th Year exams, generally after you've applied they'll give conditionals with bands on Advanced Highers afaik.

If they haven't changed from when I applied, not only do they ask for bands, they ask for the exact marks in each Higher exam you sat in a separate questionnaire before interviews.
Reply 5
Original post by ukdragon37
If they haven't changed from when I applied, not only do they ask for bands, they ask for the exact marks in each Higher exam you sat in a separate questionnaire before interviews.

'In each Higher exam you sat' - prelims?

Do they ask the same for AH exams?
Original post by Ecasx
'In each Higher exam you sat' - prelims?

No, actual exams. You apply at the start of S6 since only Highers+AHs are equivalent to full two-year A-levels. You can't get into Cambridge (and most English unis) with Highers only. It's also why Scottish Bachelors are typically four years whereas English ones are three years.

Original post by Ecasx
Do they ask the same for AH exams?

Yes, if you apply after having already sat some AH exams. They will also ask after you sit the AHs to meet their conditional offer, but in this case it's only for statistical purposes.
Reply 7
Original post by ukdragon37
No, actual exams. You apply at the start of S6 since only Highers+AHs are equivalent to full two-year A-levels. You can't get into Cambridge (and most English unis) with Highers only. It's also why Scottish Bachelors are typically four years whereas English ones are three years.

Yes, if you apply after having already sat some AH exams. They will also ask after you sit the AHs to meet their conditional offer, but in this case it's only for statistical purposes.

Cool.

Do you think they'd ask that for AH mechanics/statistics too?
Original post by Ecasx
Do you think they'd ask that for AH mechanics/statistics too?

They ask for for all subjects you sit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending