The Student Room Group

Want to become a programmer

I'm in year 10 at the moment I've been studying computer studies and my teacher isn't the best I want to become a programmer but I've looked every where and cannot seem to find where to start or anything that can help me I want to start basic and eventually become an expert I would really appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction and when I get really into programming and am the right age I would like to apply for an intern for Google 😬😆 thanks
Hey, I'm planning to do Computer Science at University. I started on a website called "Code Academy" it teaches you step by step from the basics. I would also recommend doing some Computer Science related work experience maybe next year or in sixth form.
Original post by Khurramsalim
I'm in year 10 at the moment I've been studying computer studies and my teacher isn't the best I want to become a programmer but I've looked every where and cannot seem to find where to start or anything that can help me I want to start basic and eventually become an expert I would really appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction and when I get really into programming and am the right age I would like to apply for an intern for Google 😬😆 thanks

Firstly (I dont know what programming you are being taught) I would start learning Python. It can be used for a lot and is very fun and easy to get the hang of. You can build great GUI very easily (I recently designed a database GUI program for a company, using my Python knowledge). Then move onto Java or C++ :smile:

In terms of where to learn. The Internet! Its great! You can find some really good tutors on there that can teach you through Skype, or you can find some YouTube tutorials. If you are interested in learning Python from an A2 student (about to student CompSci at uni) I can offer some tutoring through Skype (PM if interested). Get some good books on programming and most importantly STAY MOTIVATED :smile:
Reply 3
Im currently working through 'Basic Python' on code academy. It's a really useful way to learn. There is nothing to download, takes you through every step in a very simple way, and provides a forum if you get stuck.
Reply 4
I honestly admire your enthusiasm OP at such a young age. I wish I had discovered programming at your age, my life would have been so much clear.

As for language wise, the sky is your limit. I know some recommend python, but I've personally never worked with python so I can't really give you any advice related to python. However, I can give you advice on the languages I've worked with. First of all, the language you learn should reflect your goals as a programmer. So if you want to be a web developer then there's no point in learning a language that doesn't cater for that.

Since you're quiet young and very new, I would definitely not recommend any of the harder programming languages like C, C++ or any low level languages. Rather I would recommend the more higher level languages, such languages like Python or VB.NET would be a good starting place. I would personally guide you towards VB.NET because I've used the language for some time now, one of the reasons why I recommend VB.NET is because it pretty much has all you'll ever need at this your current age and plus when you go to college, it's very likely that you'll be using it there too.

Not just that but, VB.NET is great for beginners because it offers syntax that is English like, therefore allowing you to understand the concepts of programming easier, which is the most important part. Out of all the languages I've tried, I would say The UI designer in VB.NET is one of the most intuitive and easiest ones to use, it's so easy, easier than Python I'd like to argue. Building nice GUI applications would definitely help you to feel some sort of achievement which will further fuel your ambitions. Also, you can do pretty much anything with VB.NET.

Once you've understood the grounds of VB.NET or Python, I'd recommend more complex languages like C# and Java.
Note: once you know VB.NET, learning C# or Java will be a piece of cake.
By the time you've even finished learning VB.NET to a decent standard, you'll be in college already, which will most likely teach you VB.NET, Python, C# or Java. From there, you can further develop your skills in an academic environment and you will definitely have a massive advantage over all of the students there.

As for learning resource, there are many places to go to learn, I know great resources to learn from. You could use,

YouTube

EBooks

CodeAcademy

Treehouse

Lynda

Udemy

TheNewBoston

Wikibooks

Lastly, the most important things is to stay passionate about what you like doing, because programming is not easy, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot.

One last thing, NEVER EVER PAY FOR ANYTHING YOU CAN GET FOR FREE. Learning to code is free, don't pay to "learn" it, unless you got that type of cash monies.

Good luck
(edited 8 years ago)
Learn some Python.

It's easy to use and it used in industry a fair bit.
Reply 6
Original post by Async
I honestly admire your enthusiasm OP at such a young age. I wish I had discovered programming at your age, my life would have been so much clear.

As for language wise, the sky is your limit. I know some recommend python, but I've personally never worked with python so I can't really give you any advice related to python. However, I can give you advice on the languages I've worked with. First of all, the language you learn should reflect your goals as a programmer. So if you want to be a web developer then there's no point in learning a language that doesn't cater for that.

Since you're quiet young and very new, I would definitely not recommend any of the harder programming languages like C, C++ or any low level languages. Rather I would recommend the more higher level languages, such languages like Python or VB.NET would be a good starting place. I would personally guide you towards VB.NET because I've used the language for some time now, one of the reasons why I recommend VB.NET is because it pretty much has all you'll ever need at this your current age and plus when you go to college, it's very likely that you'll be using it there too.

Not just that but, VB.NET is great for beginners because it offers syntax that is English like, therefore allowing you to understand the concepts of programming easier, which is the most important part. Out of all the languages I've tried, I would say The UI designer in VB.NET is one of the most intuitive and easiest ones to use, it's so easy, easier than Python I'd like to argue. Building nice GUI applications would definitely help you to feel some sort of achievement which will further fuel your ambitions. Also, you can do pretty much anything with VB.NET.

Once you've understood the grounds of VB.NET or Python, I'd recommend more complex languages like C# and Java.
Note: once you know VB.NET, learning C# or Java will be a piece of cake.
By the time you've even finished learning VB.NET to a decent standard, you'll be in college already, which will most likely teach you VB.NET, Python, C# or Java. From there, you can further develop your skills in an academic environment and you will definitely have a massive advantage over all of the students there.

As for learning resource, there are many places to go to learn, I know great resources to learn from. You could use,

YouTube

EBooks

CodeAcademy

Treehouse

Lynda

Udemy

TheNewBoston

Wikibooks

Lastly, the most important things is to stay passionate about what you like doing, because programming is not easy, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot.

One last thing, NEVER EVER PAY FOR ANYTHING YOU CAN GET FOR FREE. Learning to code is free, don't pay to "learn" it, unless you got that type of cash monies.

Good luck

Agree except the last paragraph. If you are seriouse about and enjoy programming then it is worth spendng money on - I've got a good collection of technical books and although the technology-specific ones will get outdated quickly decent books give you single point of reference on the subject , an overview of how all the peices fit together and advice on best practises - things that are lacking when you're learning from fragments and tutorials on the web. Go for the books pitched at intermediate and professionals. - Once you know the basics of course :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by INTit
Agree except the last paragraph. If you are seriouse about and enjoy programming then it is worth spendng money on - I've got a good collection of technical books and although the technology-specific ones will get outdated quickly decent books give you single point of reference on the subject , an overview of how all the peices fit together and advice on best practises - things that are lacking when you're learning from fragments and tutorials on the web. Go for the books pitched at intermediate + level or proffesionals.

I understand. But I didn't mean the last paragraph I wrote like that, what I meant is that you shouldn't really have to pay for anything you can get for free. The Internet is a great resource and there's tons of information available out there for free. I think all should take full advantage of that.

I've seen a lot of people paying people to teach them how to code whereas there's tons of free resources on the net. This is the message I'm trying to put across.
Reply 8
Original post by Async
I understand. But I didn't mean the last paragraph I wrote like that, what I meant is that you shouldn't really have to pay for anything you can get for free. The Internet is a great resource and there's tons of information available out there for free. I think all should take full advantage of that.

I've seen a lot of people paying people to teach them how to code whereas there's tons of free resources on the net. This is the message I'm trying to put across.

Yea fair point ! I never found the books pitched at absolute beginners that usefull, I'd agree its best to experiment and google at that stage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending