The Student Room Group

Should I inform Cambridge?

Hello. This question is directed at current Cambridge students, if possible, but if anyone would like to give some advice that would be very helpful :smile:

I am a 2015 offer holder. Recently, my college sent me a form that would be used to declare a disability. I didn't declare it on my UCAS form, but I've suffered from depression since October 2013, which has fluctuated in intensity from being completely incapable of functioning for several weeks at a time, to longer periods of low-level depression where I can complete work etc but just with a persistent low mood, which has been the case for a majority of my A-Levels. Unfortunately, it hasn't gone away yet, but I am very optimistic that by October things might be looking better. I know there shouldn't be any stigma at all, but I can't help feeling ashamed and embarrassed to admit it -- (I do not hold stigma towards other sufferers at all, because I understand what they are going through - it's just difficult to accept that your own mood is beyond your control, if you understand me). I would rather people didn't know, especially before they know me as a person. Therefore, I'm reluctant to disclose it on the form, not least because I really feel I might be so much better with a new start - genuinely, my school environment has been toxic, and I think this might be in part responsible for the continuance of these feelings.

I do not receive ongoing treatment for depression; however, I have been formally diagnosed by my GP, and my school are aware. Because I don't receive treatment, I don't see how informing the university will better the situation, because I do not have ongoing support as it stands, so I won't be bereft if I don't receive any as a result of not declaring it on the form.

If I did fill out the form, would the Cambridge tutors prejudge me, or think badly of me, in your experience? I don't know anything about the environment at all, but I've read things (I know they are probably rumours!) about Cambridge being unsupportive and judgemental about mental illness, and I'm just a little nervous.

This is unrelated to my decision on whether to declare it or not, but I'm entering a bit of a rough patch at the moment (conveniently less than two weeks before my exams!!!) and despite lots of work, I'm recognising the signs of another spiral downwards. I'm going to speak to my GP tomorrow. If I do miss my offer by one grade, do you think they will take me anyway, if you have any anecdotal evidence or experience on this matter? My interview went relatively okay in my opinion -- not amazing, but half-decent -- and I got high UMS last year. Maybe it's bit optimistic to hope that they will?

Anyway, thanks very much. I'd really appreciate advice or opinions :smile:
As you have the offer, I would strongly recommend declaring it. If you meet your A-level requirements and attend, you will almost certainly need treatment due to the pressure and stress if nothing else. By declaring, your tutor and adviser will know when you arrive and you can start to deal with it immediately. Do not worry about pre-judgement, you can be proactive in dealing with that if need be. Nearly 1/3 of Cantabs experience depression. If you wait until it is a problem as a student, believe me, you will lose ground and it will be much more difficult to catch up.

In my observation, Cam is pretty good at dealing with depression and mental health issues, but there are exceptions of poor care. The nurturing and care of tutors can be extraordinary at Cam, you are lucky to be a viable candidate there. I cannot express my respect for the institution and its culture.

You have probably seen this, but here it is:
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/oct/06/cambridge-university-student-depression-eating-disorders

This site is full of horror stories, but you should check it out:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cambridge-Speaks-Its-Mind/1415210685363337?fref=ts

Though it isn't Cam, Oxvlog has a student who describes her experience of dealing with depression.

I wish you luck. Depression is a lifelong issue, but it is winnable. I speak from experience. Send me a private message if you want a more private dialogue.
Original post by alcibiade
As you have the offer, I would strongly recommend declaring it. If you meet your A-level requirements and attend, you will almost certainly need treatment due to the pressure and stress if nothing else. By declaring, your tutor and adviser will know when you arrive and you can start to deal with it immediately. Do not worry about pre-judgement, you can be proactive in dealing with that if need be. Nearly 1/3 of Cantabs experience depression. If you wait until it is a problem as a student, believe me, you will lose ground and it will be much more difficult to catch up.

In my observation, Cam is pretty good at dealing with depression and mental health issues, but there are exceptions of poor care. The nurturing and care of tutors can be extraordinary at Cam, you are lucky to be a viable candidate there. I cannot express my respect for the institution and its culture.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/oct/06/cambridge-university-student-depression-eating-disorders

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cambridge-Speaks-Its-Mind/1415210685363337?fref=ts

Though it isn't Cam, Oxvlog has a student who describes her experience of dealing with depression.

I wish you luck. Depression is a lifelong issue, but it is winnable. I speak from experience. Send me a private message if you want a more private dialogue.

1/3?!!!! That is alot. Wow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by physicsmaths
1/3?!!!! That is alot. Wow

Posted from TSR Mobile

The UK average is approx 1 in 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
The UK average is approx 1 in 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember reading this figure in an newspaper. It seems high, but the stress at Cam is very real. My point is that it is so common that there is less and less of a stigma attached to seeking help if needed.

The OP would be best advised to be pro-active in her approach. She has made a courageous first step by posting here.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by alcibiade

Hey, thanks for the advice :smile: I asked my GP about the issue today - she said it isn't wholly necessary to inform them as I wouldn't receive specific provision in the same way as someone with dyslexia etc would need, but she said if I was concerned, then it was up to me. Part of me really does want a completely clean slate to work with if I get there, but I suppose my long-term welfare is more important, so I am going to consider informing Cambridge.

I did see the guardian article beforehand! It did sound like pretty blatant scare-mongering, and I knew there would definitely have been some sensationalism and exaggeration involved, but I was still a bit nervous as it must have had some basis in truth. However, it is reassuring to hear that tutors are largely supportive - that's good to know, thank you :smile:
Original post by Daxen
Hey, thanks for the advice :smile: I asked my GP about the issue today - she said it isn't wholly necessary to inform them as I wouldn't receive specific provision in the same way as someone with dyslexia etc would need, but she said if I was concerned, then it was up to me. Part of me really does want a completely clean slate to work with if I get there, but I suppose my long-term welfare is more important, so I am going to consider informing Cambridge.

I did see the guardian article beforehand! It did sound like pretty blatant scare-mongering, and I knew there would definitely have been some sensationalism and exaggeration involved, but I was still a bit nervous as it must have had some basis in truth. However, it is reassuring to hear that tutors are largely supportive - that's good to know, thank you :smile:

Looks like you've more or less made up your mind about informing the university, which I think is a very good, sensible decision.
A couple of my daughter's friends actually had some mental issue problems while there; one of them with long-term problem like yourself but he'd been hiding it even from his family for many years. The problem manifested quite severely possibly because, as you can imagine, a life as a Cambridge student IS quite intense and can be very stressful to some people, especially if he/she has some underlying problem already.
I really think it's very important for you to let them know beforehand because they really know how to deal with the problem and are very supportive.

I can't give more details of the case I mentioned above as I don't want to risk revealing the identity of the people involved, but if you want more info about it, please feel free to pm me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Daxen
Hello. This question is directed at current Cambridge students, if possible, but if anyone would like to give some advice that would be very helpful :smile:

I am a 2015 offer holder. Recently, my college sent me a form that would be used to declare a disability. I didn't declare it on my UCAS form, but I've suffered from depression since October 2013, which has fluctuated in intensity from being completely incapable of functioning for several weeks at a time, to longer periods of low-level depression where I can complete work etc but just with a persistent low mood, which has been the case for a majority of my A-Levels. Unfortunately, it hasn't gone away yet, but I am very optimistic that by October things might be looking better. I know there shouldn't be any stigma at all, but I can't help feeling ashamed and embarrassed to admit it -- (I do not hold stigma towards other sufferers at all, because I understand what they are going through - it's just difficult to accept that your own mood is beyond your control, if you understand me). I would rather people didn't know, especially before they know me as a person. Therefore, I'm reluctant to disclose it on the form, not least because I really feel I might be so much better with a new start - genuinely, my school environment has been toxic, and I think this might be in part responsible for the continuance of these feelings.

I do not receive ongoing treatment for depression; however, I have been formally diagnosed by my GP, and my school are aware. Because I don't receive treatment, I don't see how informing the university will better the situation, because I do not have ongoing support as it stands, so I won't be bereft if I don't receive any as a result of not declaring it on the form.

If I did fill out the form, would the Cambridge tutors prejudge me, or think badly of me, in your experience? I don't know anything about the environment at all, but I've read things (I know they are probably rumours!) about Cambridge being unsupportive and judgemental about mental illness, and I'm just a little nervous.

This is unrelated to my decision on whether to declare it or not, but I'm entering a bit of a rough patch at the moment (conveniently less than two weeks before my exams!!!) and despite lots of work, I'm recognising the signs of another spiral downwards. I'm going to speak to my GP tomorrow. If I do miss my offer by one grade, do you think they will take me anyway, if you have any anecdotal evidence or experience on this matter? My interview went relatively okay in my opinion -- not amazing, but half-decent -- and I got high UMS last year. Maybe it's bit optimistic to hope that they will?

I would say it's worth telling them -- I'm sure that if you miss your offer because of it then they'll be more lenient with you if you've given them a heads-up about it in advance. It's also worth bearing in mind that, at university more generally, things are not as 'joined up' as they are at school--different people in different offices don't really talk to each other unless they really need to. Only the people who need to know about it would know about it, so I suspect you can very easily still get the 'clean slate' you're looking for while also having potential support ready if you need it.
Original post by Daxen

Please do declare it to your College. One of the things we pride ourself on at Cambridge is the individual care and attention that the collegiate structure enables us to provide. There will be no prejudice, but it is important you let us know about such things in case they come to affect you during your time with us, or in case they do affect your upcoming exams.

It is very important that any offer-holder alerts their college to anything outside their control which affects their exams, be it health or family-related or a mishap in the conduct of the exams (fire alarms etc.). This allows us to take these factors into account when we receive your results. If you wait until you see your results aren't what you expect on results day, it is very late in the day for us to take these circumstances into account.
Reply 9
Hey everyone, thanks for the responses. I've emailed the disability office and I'm now beginning to undertake the process of filling out the necessary information. Thanks for all your help everyone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest