The Student Room Group

Dating Minors

Here is a situation. need advice on if this is legal or harmful.

Say you have an 18 year old and a 15 year old and they fall in love through legit means and begin what they hope to be a permanent relationship. They have known each other for a while, are both mentally mature, and largely understand what they are getting into.

They both fully understand that the legal age of consent is 16, so they agree not to do anything sexual until this time. Say this is a long distance relationship, so there won't be a physical meeting at all and all online chats will avoid sexual discussion.

Is this legal?

Could this potentially harm the younger party by being in a relationship with someone older while they are still growing up? Are there hidden risks here? What are your opinions?

Scroll to see replies

It's fine. If you want to do that do it. If you wait a few months everything looks rosy anyway.
That's fine. No sexual discussion and no physical meeting, that's just friends 😝

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey it's fine as long as he/she is not a catfish 😝
It's perfectly legal and in my opinion, morally fine. A friend of mine met her boyfriend when she was 15 and he was 19 and they are still together five years later (admittedly they didn't quite wait until she was 16, but...)

Just make sure that there is no exchange of raunchy photos because "Although it is legal to have sex at 16 under British law, it is illegal to take, hold or share "indecent" photos of anyone under 18."
Original post by kandykissesxox
Hey it's fine as long as he/she is not a catfish

Great Advice. (And Avatar and Username).
Original post by cambio wechsel
Great Advice. (And Avatar and Username).

Is that supposed to be sarcasm ?😁
Original post by kandykissesxox
Is that supposed to be sarcasm?

Not a bit. I was only amused by a structural irony.
The only thing that could potentially be illegal about it is if it's deemed 'grooming'. So, provided any kind of talk relating to sex or anything of that nature is avoided (especially via messaging/snapchat...), it's fine.

Morally I don't see a problem in it, the law quite arbitrarily determines age of consent to be 16. And it's not like there's a really huge age gap. Just don't break any laws, not worth it.
Original post by cambio wechsel
Not a bit. I was only amused by a structural irony.

oh alright
Reply 10
Not illegal but a bit weird..
Rolf, is that you?
Reply 12
Also make sure their parents are fine with it..
Should be fine although some may consider this stage to be 'grooming' so just be careful and take it slow til the minor reaches 16 at least.
Original post by Anonymous
Here is a situation. need advice on if this is legal or harmful.

Say you have an 18 year old and a 15 year old and they fall in love through legit means and begin what they hope to be a permanent relationship. They have known each other for a while, are both mentally mature, and largely understand what they are getting into.

They both fully understand that the legal age of consent is 16, so they agree not to do anything sexual until this time. Say this is a long distance relationship, so there won't be a physical meeting at all and all online chats will avoid sexual discussion.

Is this legal?

Could this potentially harm the younger party by being in a relationship with someone older while they are still growing up? Are there hidden risks here? What are your opinions?
It's fine legallybut I am not so cool with 15 year olds and 18 year olds dating. it matters more when you're younger.
Ok thanks
OP, if you're 18 with a 15 year old, that is quite frankly borderline paedophillia. These girls are not even doing GCSES yet, whilst your either at uni or nearly at uni. Jesus. This forum is messed up, to classify this as NORMAL. Christ.
Original post by jam277
It's fine. If you want to do that do it. If you wait a few months everything looks rosy anyway.

look for this chap on the sex offenders register in a few years time.
Original post by Isaac Whitehill
look for this chap on the sex offenders register in a few years time.

Or the girl could be 16 in a few months time and you might still be 18. 18/2 +7 =16.

Everything is fine.
Original post by jam277
Or the girl could be 16 in a few months time and you might still be 18. 18/2 +7 =16.

Everything is fine.

come on, it's still a bit off isn't it? There's a big gap in maturity between the two ages.

Quick Reply