The Student Room Group

Is it too late for me to apply to a university this year?

I had originally planned to go to open uni this year - going to a normal uni would've pretty much forced me and my girlfriend of four years to break up and I thought that open uni, being cheaper and more flexible, would've been a better choice.

Recent events are leaving me wishing I'd applied to uni. I know I've probably missed my chance this year, everyone I know sent off their complete applications and sorted their accommodation and finance months ago. Just wondering if anyone here knows of anyone else like me and what their plans are, or if there is some emergency last-minute application process for situations like this.
Original post by tomtom333555
I had originally planned to go to open uni this year - going to a normal uni would've pretty much forced me and my girlfriend of four years to break up and I thought that open uni, being cheaper and more flexible, would've been a better choice.

Recent events are leaving me wishing I'd applied to uni. I know I've probably missed my chance this year, everyone I know sent off their complete applications and sorted their accommodation and finance months ago. Just wondering if anyone here knows of anyone else like me and what their plans are, or if there is some emergency last-minute application process for situations like this.

No you aren't necessarily too late. I'm also currently in the process of applying (late submission). However, depending on your course choice, you may find many universities are already full and so are no longer taking applications. I'd recommend taking a look at UCAS and phoning/emailing the unis you wish to go to, to ask if they still have spaces available on whichever course for 2015 entry and go from there. Deadline for UCAS late application is 30th June (as far as I'm aware) otherwise you need to go through clearing in August.

I can't really help you with accommodation as i'm unsure but you might have less of a chance of getting a place in halls as you are a late applicant (and I assume priority is given to applicants who submitted their applications back in January). As for financial help, I know that for us in Scotland, the deadline for student loans etc isn't until 30th June (not sure if this is the same throughout the UK)

You can still apply normally up until June 30th - after that date you would go automatically into clearing.

If you decide to apply, first contact the unis directly to see whether they are still considering applications for your course.
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies, it's good to know I still have a chance somewhere
Thanks for the replies, it's good to know I still have a chance somewhere

You have nothing to lose by applying this year, but don't get sucked into thinking 'I can therefore I must'. If you find that the courses/unis in which you are most interested and which fit your qualifications are full, then don't just rush in and settle for second best this year. Life is a long old game...

BTW accommodation policy varies from uni to uni - if that's important to you then check the details regarding application dates and what the uni guarantees very carefully.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending