The Student Room Group

My dream of studying medicine is now over...

Straight to it; I am getting 5A's 4B's and 1C at GCSE.

I am so angry at myself. This half term I have done no revision even though I needed to.

Can anyone tell me that even with my terrible GCSE's whether I could get into medical school, and if so, which ones?

Well ugh, another medicine hopeful has fallen.

Scroll to see replies

Study hard for your A-Levels, get work experience, choose a European university, plenty of chances for you mate...
Chill! GCSE's don't matter nearly as much as you think they do. They are a kiddy qualification.

Firstly, you need to annihilate your A-levels. More importantly, as many applicants for medicine will similarly have top grades, you need to make sure that your personal statement will be brimmed with achievements; demonstrate superior knowledge, win a couple of essay competitions, find relevant experience. Start now and you'll be way ahead of the pack.
No need to lose hope so quickly, you haven't even got your results yet so calm down. In my opinion those grades aren't good in Medicine standards but if you think Medicine is not for you then have you thought of any alternatives e.g. Pharmacy?
Original post by xXxSharkxXx

I am so angry at myself. This half term I have done no revision even though I needed to.

Can anyone tell me that even with my terrible GCSE's whether I could get into medical school, and if so, which ones?

Work as hard as you can to get the best GCSE's that you can. If you get what your working at it wont completely close the door for medicine, but you might be limited to where you can apply.
When you do your AS levels, aim to get 4 A's and then you will still have an OK chance of getting it.

GCSE's aren't everything when it comes to medicine (albeit they have more weighting than for a maths degree for example), there is plenty of other things to boost your application such as work experience, and getting stellar AS grades
Reply 5
hahahahha
Reply 6
Original post by Raymat
No need to lose hope so quickly, you haven't even got your results yet so calm down. In my opinion those grades aren't good in Medicine standards but if you think Medicine is not for you then have you thought of any alternatives e.g. Pharmacy?

What?

My sister works at boots pharmacy and has no a levels!

She only earns £6.85p/h as well, not very aspirational
Reply 7
Those GCSE results would be fine for Manchester, Exeter, Barts and Newcastle among others.

Dont worry, focus on your exams and make sure you put your head down next year.
Original post by futbol
What?

I meant studying the 4 year MPharm degree which of course requires GCE A levels.
They'd be fine for Plymouth and Exeter as well I think
Reply 10

Edit:
Do lots of work experience, as much as possible, and do your best in your AS levels as you can - they are much more important. Don't give up on your dream, and by the way, results day hasn't come so revise now and just do your best! Don't worry if you can't get it as you can do graduate medicine which you would get into with worse GCSES.
Apply your fifth choice to do a degree in chemistry/biomedical sciences/biology or something which is allowed.
From one medicine hopeful to another,
Good luck! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Did results day somehow shift from August to May? :confused:

Don't give in to panic, there is always another way. For now, concentrate on your exams - if you're not revising, get to it now. Turn off your laptop and hit the books.

And even if you do get those results, they are pretty good and shouldn't stop you from getting into medical school anyway. So once again, don't panic.

Though I am curious, if medicine is your dream, why does your profile say you're an "aspiring investment banker"?

Original post by ozmo19
Graduate Medicine is what i say - do a degree in chemistry/biomedical sciences/biology or something which is allowed. GCSEs aren't the end of the world but they do carry some importance. This route may be expensive but it is my advice, as it will be very hard to compete otherwise.

There's absolutely no reason why s/he should be considering GEM before s/he's even finished year 11! Bloody hell, you give up easily, don't you?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Some medical schools look at your AS grades instead of your GCSE grades.
Some will want amazing GCSE's so no point applying to them in all honesty. Just up your chances by having a good personal statement (there's a few examples of good and badly written ones in the PS section of this site) and doing great in your AS.
Do alot of work experiance.
There's a list of medical school on the entry requirement page here that shows which unis prefer what in an application. Before applying check the med school sites individually.
There's no easy way to say this but GCSE's are a piece of cake which requires like a good week of revision. Youre not doing enough or doing it all wrong. You need to seriously up your game if you want good AS levels (as they are harder, obviously). If that means revising everyday, so be it, no one cares how long you revised, its the grades that count. And for you, the only reason you can get an interview is having good AS levels, so do well. You must.
Reply 13
Original post by Democracy

There's absolutely no reason why she should be considering GEM before s/he's even finished year 11! Bloody hell, you give up easily, don't you?

OBVIOUSLY there is no point. You apply to 4 med courses, 1 biomed and if you get rejected, then do biomed then GEM. I find it absolutely disrespectful and rude to make an assumption like giving up easily off this one comment. This isn't about my life, it is about hers and I'm offering my 5 pence worth of advice so do yourself a favour; give your own and don't jump on others - "democracy" - let others speak their thoughts
BTW, you have no idea about who i am and what i do everyday, striving towards to my goals so don't say something like "you give up easily"
Original post by Democracy
Did results day somehow shift from August to May? :confused:

Don't give in to panic, there is always another way. For now, concentrate on your exams - if you're not revising, get to it now. Turn off your laptop and hit the books.

And even if you do get those results, they are pretty good and shouldn't stop you from getting into medical school anyway. So once again, don't panic.

Though I am curious, if medicine is your dream, why does your profile say you're an "aspiring investment banker"?

There's absolutely no reason why s/he should be considering GEM before s/he's
even finished year 11! Bloody hell, you give up easily, don't you?

Thanks mate. Aspiring investment banker lmao, that was when I thought money was everything.

It's hard to stay motivated, I know my grades are absolutely sh** compared to other people on this forum, I really do want to do medicine :frown:

I have secured a year long volunteering programme at King's hospital which I guess is a start. Just out of curiosity, If I do managed to revise now and improve my grades would 1A* 8As and 1 B cut it? Thanks again.
Original post by Zahid~
Some medical schools look at your AS grades instead of your GCSE grades.
Some will want amazing GCSE's so no point applying to them in all honesty. Just up your chances by having a good personal statement (there's a few examples of good and badly written ones in the PS section of this site) and doing great in your AS.
Do alot of work experiance.
There's a list of medical school on the entry requirement page here that shows which unis prefer what in an application. Before applying check the med school sites individually.
There's no easy way to say this but GCSE's are a piece of cake which requires like a good week of revision. Youre not doing enough or doing it all wrong. You need to seriously up your game if you want good AS levels (as they are harder, obviously). If that means revising everyday, so be it, no one cares how long you revised, its the grades that count. And for you, the only reason you can get an interview is having good AS levels, so do well. You must.

Thanks for your input. Though I still think I'm above average with my natural ability it's just I go to a crappy school where no one cares about GCSE's and I guess it's rubbed off on me. :/ sigh.
Original post by Clubba
Those GCSE results would be fine for Manchester, Exeter, Barts and Newcastle among others.

Dont worry, focus on your exams and make sure you put your head down next year.

Are you sure? The applicants on here have like 5A*s minimum? I hope you are correct - It'll make my day!

Thanks for your input.
Original post by ozmo19
OBVIOUSLY there is no point. You apply to 4 med courses, 1 biomed and if you get rejected, then do biomed then GEM. I find it absolutely disrespectful and rude to make an assumption like giving up easily off this one comment. This isn't about my life, it is about hers and I'm offering my 5 pence worth of advice so do yourself a favour; give your own and don't jump on others - "democracy" - let others speak their thoughts
BTW, you have no idea about who i am and what i do everyday, striving towards to my goals so don't say something like "you give up easily"

Okay, first off, have a listen/watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygr5AHufBN4

Secondly, I didn't suggest that you were giving up easily on your own chances, but rather on the OP's.

Thirdly, if your advice is rubbish, you'll be called out on it. The purpose of this forum is to help people get into medical school - not to give them misleading advice and suggest they do unnecessary degrees along the way.

Fourthly, I think you'll find I'm more than familiar with what GEM is and how to get into it, being a GEM student myself.

Fifthly, you need to chill. Life's too short.

Thanks mate. Aspiring investment banker lmao, that was when I thought money was everything

Since a month ago? :holmes:

It's hard to stay motivated, I know my grades are absolutely sh** compared to other people on this forum, I really do want to do medicine :frown:

I have secured a year long volunteering programme at King's hospital which I guess is a start. Just out of curiosity, If I do managed to revise now and improve my grades would 1A* 8As and 1 B cut it? Thanks again.

You don't know what your grades are yet, you're treating an uncertainty as if it's a fact!

Yeah, those GCSE grades would be fine too. As others have stated though, there is more to getting in than GCSE grades, and different med schools have different requirements anyway - you need to make sure you apply to the schools which aren't really keen on you having lots of A*s. But right now, you should be focusing on revision, all the planning and strategising can come after results day.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by futbol
What?

There goes my hope of buying mumzy a nice yard :frown:
Original post by ozmo19
Edit:
Do lots of work experience, as much as possible, and do your best in your AS levels as you can - they are much more important. Don't give up on your dream, and by the way, results day hasn't come so revise now and just do your best! Don't worry if you can't get it as you can do graduate medicine which you would get into with worse GCSES.
Apply your fifth choice to do a degree in chemistry/biomedical sciences/biology or something which is allowed.

They're going to be pretty pissed if they go down that route and GEM gets abandoned later on, which is a distinct possibility. At their age they should focus on working hard at A-level. Their GCSEs aren't awful just not great, it can more than be made up for by A-level results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending