The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Mathematics 2015/16 - Discussion and Help Thread

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd start this thread a bit early for any of us S6s who will be studying Advanced Higher Maths this coming year. :smile:

We start our new timetable on Monday 1st June so it won't be long until I start. When does everyone else start?

(Also, here is a link to last year's thread.)
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We start on the 2nd. Looking forward to the coming year, as I'm doing advanced maths and physics, so hopefully it should be rewarding!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Subbing. Just finished it, it is an excellent course, and hopefully I can help out
Just finished AH Maths and Physics, they are both really interesting courses!
So happy there is no assignment/added value component that makes up the grade for this.
Reply 5
Original post by wordshark
So happy there is no assignment/added value component that makes up the grade for this.

Yeah, definitely. Others in the thread have said that they have enjoyed it, which is encouraging. I'm going on to do computing or engineering, so it should be helpful for my 1st year at uni, that's if I get in to any! XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298
Yeah, definitely. Others in the thread have said that they have enjoyed it, which is encouraging. I'm going on to do computing or engineering, so it should be helpful for my 1st year at uni, that's if I get in to any! XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go with CompSci!! Way more theoretical and fun - no bias intended.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Princepieman
Go with CompSci!! Way more theoretical and fun - no bias intended.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you applied for a CompSci course? If so what led you to choosing it, any recommendations on Uni's and do you recommend going for a generalised CompSci course or going into a so called 'branch' like informations systems or software engineering?

(Edit: Just saw that you said you have just finished the physics and maths courses. XD)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JP298
Have you applied for a CompSci course? If so what led you to choosing it, any recommendations on Uni's and do you recommend going for a generalised CompSci course or going into a so called 'branch' like informations systems or software engineering?

(Edit: Just saw that you said you have just finished the physics and maths courses. XD)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'll be going to Nottingham (hopefully) this September.

I initatilly wanted to do electrical engineering because of the heavy maths and physics content but I soon realised that I didn't really want to take physics any further after doing the AH. So, the obvious choice is to go for a degree that is still within the 'tech' realm but also has a fairly good focus on Maths. Easy choice: Computer Science.

It's a broad degree that encourages logical thinking and a creative approach to solving complex computational problems. It's not just about programming (that's actually a small aspect) it's more about how we model computability and the logic/maths underpinning those models. You can go into traditional software engineering roles, product management roles or branch out into wider fields like IB or Consulting (probably what I'll do) if you wanted.

In most cases, I would recommend CompSci or CompSci with AI for someone who can handle AH Maths. Software engineering courses are geared towards those wanting a more practical course of study with more emphasis on programming and software design. Wouldn't really recommend info systems because I don't think it's as intellectually stimulating.

In Scotland: Edinburgh is top notch followed by Glasgow and St Andrews (Aberdeen is fairly decent as well).

In England: Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial (if you have the grades), Durham, Bristol, Southampton, UCL, Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham etc. are all good.
Reply 9
Yeah, I'll be going to Nottingham (hopefully) this September.

I initatilly wanted to do electrical engineering because of the heavy maths and physics content but I soon realised that I didn't really want to take physics any further after doing the AH. So, the obvious choice is to go for a degree that is still within the 'tech' realm but also has a fairly good focus on Maths. Easy choice: Computer Science.

It's a broad degree that encourages logical thinking and a creative approach to solving complex computational problems. It's not just about programming (that's actually a small aspect) it's more about how we model computability and the logic/maths underpinning those models. You can go into traditional software engineering roles, product management roles or branch out into wider fields like IB or Consulting (probably what I'll do) if you wanted.

In most cases, I would recommend CompSci or CompSci with AI for someone who can handle AH Maths. Software engineering courses are geared towards those wanting a more practical course of study with more emphasis on programming and software design. Wouldn't really recommend info systems because I don't think it's as intellectually stimulating.

In Scotland: Edinburgh is top notch followed by Glasgow and St Andrews (Aberdeen is fairly decent as well).

In England: Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial (if you have the grades), Durham, Bristol, Southampton, UCL, Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham etc. are all good.

You have no idea how much I appreciate all your help, Thanks! I've been interested in computing since a young age, so we'll see how the grades go. Again, thanks a lot for your help and time, and I hope you get the results you want!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I was just subscribing to this thread as I do every year... :lurk:

Original post by JP298

.... before finding a discussion on CompSci at uni. What a pleasant surprise. Well if you have any questions, feel free to ask :biggrin:
Reply 11
I start back on Thursday, and will hopefully be doing AH Maths, Chemistry and Biology :biggrin:

Hoping this thread will be a lot of help! :tongue:
I'm definitely doing AH Chemistry and Biology, and originally I was thinking of crashing higher physics, but now considering changing to AH Maths? What are your thoughts?
Original post by bluephotography
I'm definitely doing AH Chemistry and Biology, and originally I was thinking of crashing higher physics, but now considering changing to AH Maths? What are your thoughts?

AH Maths is more fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by bluephotography

Haven't done advanced higher maths yet, but I have just finished the higher physics course and I can say it was both interesting and enjoyable! Though mathematically I would compare higher physics to N5 maths, so I would say advanced higher maths would be more intellectually stimulating!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bethm01
I start back on Thursday, and will hopefully be doing AH Maths, Chemistry and Biology :biggrin:

Hoping this thread will be a lot of help! :tongue:

I started back today and I'm doing the exact same subjects :smile:
However I'm starting to wonder whether it will be too much? As i also do a science academy thing outside (but connected) of school.
Reply 16
Original post by Malayika
I started back today and I'm doing the exact same subjects :smile:
However I'm starting to wonder whether it will be too much? As i also do a science academy thing outside (but connected) of school.

Good luck! And I know, I only wanted to do 2 AHs but my head of year wouldn't allow it :frown:

From what I heard, it's alright (I actually asked on here and people seemed to say it was OK, a challenge but doable) so I wouldn't worry too much :biggrin:

Yeah, I'm doing Higher Leadership and then 4 periods of help in lower Science classes too ugh
Subbing. AH Maths will forever be bae.

Does anyone know the difference in content between the old and the new AH Maths courses? Has the new course even been implemented yet?
Reply 18
Original post by TheFOMaster
Subbing. AH Maths will forever be bae.

Does anyone know the difference in content between the old and the new AH Maths courses? Has the new course even been implemented yet?

The New course is compulsory for all schools, no school has a choice of between the old and new advanced higher. From what the head of maths has said at my school, there is no changes from the old advanced higher apart from some very small things, basically the course is the same. But from what I've experienced with the new higher maths, the style of questions will be different. But who knows? It's the SQA we're dealing with. XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298
The New course is compulsory for all schools, no school has a choice of between the old and new advanced higher. From what the head of maths has said at my school, there is no changes from the old advanced higher apart from some very small things, basically the course is the same. But from what I've experienced with the new higher maths, the style of questions will be different. But who knows? It's the SQA we're dealing with. XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome, hopefully it isn't too different. Chances are the style of questions will stay the same, once you hit a point in maths it's mostly all about the maths rather than the problems. From what I remember AH Maths had no real problem solving in it, other than maybe having to think about how to solve a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending