The Student Room Group

Will oxford accept A* A* B

Maths- A*
FURTHER maths- A*
Economics- B

How lenient are they with the B if i want a maths degree.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shwansalah
Maths- A*
FURTHER maths- A*
Economics- B

Their offer is not that harsh so I am not sure that many people will miss their offer, it is entirely dependent though. Are you taking STEP as that might help.
Maths- A*
FURTHER maths- A*
Economics- B

Blimey! With those grades you'd be lucky to get into London Met!

(point to view of every typical TSR user)

Spoiler

Maths- A*
FURTHER maths- A*
Economics- B

Are these the grade you're applying with or have you missed an offer? If you've missed an offer it's unlikely that they'll still allow you to study (or so I've read anyway). If you're applying with these grades then there's still a chance through admissions tests and personal statement and interview.
Reply 5
Original post by lnstrumentality
Are these the grade you're applying with or have you missed an offer? If you've missed an offer it's unlikely that they'll still allow you to study (or so I've read anyway). If you're applying with these grades then there's still a chance through admissions tests and personal statement and interview.

Yeah i"ve heard extra curricular activities will enhance my applicaiton, but i don't know what to do as an extra curricular activity though ):. Any ideas
Yeah i"ve heard extra curricular activities will enhance my applicaiton, but i don't know what to do as an extra curricular activity though ):. Any ideas

Wait, if you are applying with those grades you should have specified, I thought that was what you were going to get at the end of this year having received an offer of A*A*A.

Best extracurricular is giving the head of admissions a sucky.

Also, you are applying for maths, all they care about is mathematics, your EC's are nice but unless they are amazing they wont count for much. They will probably also ask you to retake the subject you got a B in to get an A.
(edited 8 years ago)
Do you think they'd accept A*A*B for biomedical sciences? Applying with achieved grades.

Could take up an extra A level in gap year if they'd let me?

In fact could I expand that to UCL durham and imperial too
(edited 8 years ago)

Going in for maths is a tricky one when it comes to extra curricular activities....
Are you applying after taking a gap year?
Try reading mathematical material that interests you or taking part in online maths challenges, then you're able to talk about why you enjoyed the activities and what you learnt (which is what you should talk about in your PS).
If you're applying after taking a gap year, maybe talk about any maths that you did.

This is much easier when you do science :biggrin:

Your grades are brilliant, I'm sure they'll overlook the B considering you got two A*!
Original post by lnstrumentality
Your grades are brilliant, I'm sure they'll overlook the B considering you got two A*!

I would not be so sure... the offer is A*A*A for Mathematics which is relatively lenient for a top institute as STEP is not involved in the offer.

I have been to a gazillion Oxbridge talks at my school and a couple hosted by Oxford ambassadors and they place so much stress on the fact that they couldn't really care less if you're doing D of E, helping at girl guides, unless these contribute to your Mathematical skill (in your case), and for degrees such as history, your research skills etc. I wanted to study history initially, and for that, extra curricular (or super curricular as they like to call activities relating to your degree) is pretty easy, do some essay competitions, bit of extra readinh, subscribe to magazines.

Now, I am in your position, same thought process, and am thinking of still enetering essay competitions, writing about maths since it is very philosophical at times. Express your interest for the weird and wonderful things in the world of maths. I would say tutor some maths, but that doesnt show your interest imo, maybe help at maths workshops that are a little more wacky and interesting. Luckily, you do fuurther maths, so your understandng is already quite detailed and perceptive i am assuming.

Either way, regarding your initial concern, you have a higher chance of getting in than I, since I am only going to d AS further maths next year because stupid me didn't choose it earlier, and i screwed my C2 exam when I had a panic attack so... possibly a gap year to do a2 further maths and further additional for me, hopefully then, oxford or warwick will want me :colone:
Original post by student97
I have been to a gazillion Oxbridge talks at my school and a couple hosted by Oxford ambassadors and they place so much stress on the fact that they couldn't really care less if you're doing D of E, helping at girl guides, unless these contribute to your Mathematical skill (in your case), and for degrees such as history, your research skills etc. I wanted to study history initially, and for that, extra curricular (or super curricular as they like to call activities relating to your degree) is pretty easy, do some essay competitions, bit of extra readinh, subscribe to magazines.

Now, I am in your position, same thought process, and am thinking of still enetering essay competitions, writing about maths since it is very philosophical at times. Express your interest for the weird and wonderful things in the world of maths. I would say tutor some maths, but that doesnt show your interest imo, maybe help at maths workshops that are a little more wacky and interesting. Luckily, you do fuurther maths, so your understandng is already quite detailed and perceptive i am assuming.

Either way, regarding your initial concern, you have a higher chance of getting in than I, since I am only going to d AS further maths next year because stupid me didn't choose it earlier, and i screwed my C2 exam when I had a panic attack so... possibly a gap year to do a2 further maths and further additional for me, hopefully then, oxford or warwick will want me :colone:

Warwick gives any student predicted AAB or above an offer for mathematics.
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Warwick gives any student predicted AAB or above an offer for mathematics.

but further maths is essential
but further maths is essential

Yep.
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Yep.

so if I took a gap year to finish off further maths, would that lower my chances of
getting in? I am aiming for A*AA next year (maths, chemistry, history)
so if I took a gap year to finish off further maths, would that lower my chances of
getting in? I am aiming for A*AA next year (maths, chemistry, history)

Not for Warwick, also, since Warwick has an open policy they may still give you an offer but with say A*A* in maths and Chem plus 1 in STEP without you having to take a gap year, you should phone up admissions.
Yeah my friend got into Cambridge with DDDE at A2. They loved his extracurricular so much that it heavily outweighed his average a levels.
Reply 19
I know a girl who got:

Maths-A*
Chemistry-A*
Biology-A*
Psychology-A*
Chinese-A*

Cambridge and Oxford rejected.

Quick Reply