The Student Room Group

Have you ever left a high paying job or would you consider doing it one day?

I think the title says it all; have you or would you even consider it?

Scroll to see replies

I would if I didn't like it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know someone who did a maths degree at oxford, got a 200,000 pound salary in investment banking and then quit the job "because it was boring" and I have no idea what he is doing now.
Reply 3
Original post by TunnelSnakesRule
I would if I didn't like it

Posted from TSR Mobile

But you probably won't get the same pay if you were to leave.

Original post by FrostShot
I know someone who did a maths degree at oxford, got a 200,000 pound salary in investment banking and then quit the job "because it was boring" and I have no idea what he is doing now.

Urm ...
Reply 4
I haven't left a high paying job as such, but I have left a higher paying job. And I would do it again if in the same situation.
Reply 5

That person will although not admitting it publicly eventually regret that decision big time.
Original post by kka25
But you probably won't get the same pay if you were to leave.

-Leave bad job with good money
-join good job with less money
-enjoy good job
-get raise
-get so many raises that you get the same amount as you are enjoying the Job so much that you put so much into it and the boss notices

Maybe it doesn't work the way I just explained lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
A lot of people on here are all 'gotta do STEM, gotta go to Oxbridge, gotta be rich whether you're happy or not' but it's quite comforting that the majority of people commenting on this thread are a bit more realistic with it all. I'd much rather be happy with a lower salary than be miserable with a high paying job.

Then again, so many people nowadays just think that money is everything, and yes whilst it's important to have to live on, there are far more important things. We only get one life, and to live it dreading going to work everyday and being miserable just to earn lots of money isn't something that I would want to be doing.
Reply 8
Original post by Juno
I haven't left a high paying job as such, but I have left a higher paying job. And I would do it again if in the same situation.

What happened?
Yep. Probably the best decision of my life. Might end up going back within the next few years.
Reply 10
Original post by Vixen47
Yep. Probably the best decision of my life. Might end up going back within the next few years.

Why did you decide to leave?
Working on getting into a high paying job.
Original post by stemmery
A lot of people on here are all 'gotta do STEM, gotta go to Oxbridge, gotta be rich whether you're happy or not' but it's quite comforting that the majority of people commenting on this thread are a bit more realistic with it all. I'd much rather be happy with a lower salary than be miserable with a high paying job.

Then again, so many people nowadays just think that money is everything, and yes whilst it's important to have to live on, there are far more important things. We only get one life, and to live it dreading going to work everyday and being miserable just to earn lots of money isn't something that I would want to be doing.

I think it's not really the money that people are after, the big thing that people are after is social status, and money is one way in which that can be attained. It's just part of human nature. Some people just can't be happy without a high social status, and it's hard to have a high social status when you are poor.

Umm, 200k... one doesn't simply leave that....
Original post by Imperion

Just looking at the numbers can make it seem surprising that someone would leave such a job, but who knows what it was like being him and having that job. I'm sure he had a legitimate reason for doing so.
Reply 15
Original post by Imperion

Unless the job is astronomically stressful, troubled with illegal activities, etc., I don't see it happening either.

Boredom ... could happen ... but not sure if that's the case.
Original post by kka25
Unless the job is astronomically stressful, troubled with illegal activities, etc., I don't see it happening either.

Boredom ... could happen ... but not sure if that's the case.

maybe he was one of those super genuises and thats why they paid him so much... :biggrin:

in answer to the op, i'll let you know when/if i ever get a high paying job
Original post by Smilin’ Knight
maybe he was one of those super genuises and thats why they paid him so much... :biggrin:

in answer to the op, i'll let you know when/if i ever get a high paying job

Nah, that's pretty standard in banking after 5ish years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Yeah, a friend of the family gave me £32k job at a well-known digger company assembling cabs but not using my mind made me feel so stressed, I had to quite or else commit suicide. It sounded an easy job and its was but the mental stress of acting like a robot are immense and I gained a new respect for those who can work in a factory.
I have, I hate the people I was working with so I resigned. Sometimes it's not just about the money.

Quick Reply

Latest